LTD MH-103QM review by ESP

ESP: LTD MH-103QM

Purchased from: Guitars N Stuff

When played through my setup this guitar can move mountains. Despite it's lack of fat bass sound it can still get a great Nirvana sound. But I play it through my Peavy Basic 112 Bass Amp and a DigiTech RP-70, so that might effect it. This will definatley do what you want if you play: Grunge, Rock, Metal, Country, Classic Rock, and anything in between.

Because I play such a wide variety, this was obviously the right choice. And because I've been playing for a year now, I still have people come over and countinously tell me how good it sounds. And I would DIE if it was removed from my possesion. And I love the finish and the Floyd, both are great. But don't let the name fool you this will outplay a Fender anyday. Everything is great on it, but what really killed it was that stupid action, I mean come on, just take the time to set it up right. This would've been better with a Dimebucker in it, then it would have killed me. Great guitar for the price.

This thing can take a great beating, and although I have yet to damage it, I think that it wouldn't make a difference. The floyd lets me pull it up for great screamin' harmonics, while also staying in tune. And if the finish gets any thicker, it might have it's own tonal properties. This is my only choice for a gig.

Here where it gets crappy, If this guitar buzzed any worse, I might have thought there was a mosquito in my ear, but this was corrected when I raised the action myself. Aside from that, the guitar was in amazing condition, not a single scratch from the factory, to the store, to me. Everything was great but the action, they can build a nice guitar but they really need to set them up better.

What's in a "Good Guitar", a good name, a fancy paint job, or maybe even quality parts. Well this guitar delivers without 2 of these. It may be an LTD buts it's got a Beautiful Blue Quilted Maple top on a Basswood body, With an all Maple Bolt-On neck. It has a matching headstock and 24 Medium Jumbo frets, plus the X-Tra thin neck is great too. It's got great pickups, making this passive setup good for a variety of playing. It has ESP brand pickups, 2 single coils in the middle and neck positions with an ESP humbucker in the bridge. But what seperates this from the rest is a Floyd Rose with a Recessed bridge for great dive-bombs. With it's ESP brand tuners you can't go wrong, or with the 5 way selector Switch either.

Jollyjack87
    This guitar plays well out of its price range. I have tested it against Gibsons, Epiphones and Deans of a higher price range and it can stand up there with them easily. My brother who has been playing for 8 years told me it sounds and feels like an $800.00 guitar when he tried it and all my friends think its fantastic. There is a lot of buzz but none of it comes through the amp so as long as no one is right against you, you will be the only one to notice it. This guitar is amazingly comfortable to play and it holds its tuning perfectly. The finish is significantly darker than online images, but it is still absolutely beautiful. This guitar really shines on the center single coil, off distortion this pickup gives the guitar a deep warm sound that really shines. The humbucker also creates a viscous sound. Lastly this guitar is very versatile and capable of rock, blues, metal and whatever else you need it to do. I have played everything on this instrument from Tom Petty to Slayer.
    syntheticocean
    eyebanez333
    I agree. I've played some of the upper ESP models and this one doesn't compare. But its great for the price.
    J.J.G.
    syntheticocean wrote: Just wait until you kick it up a notch with a better model. I've got 3 guitars right now, an ESP MH-100 from about 10 years ago, an MH-300 from the same year, and a 2008 EC-1000. The step up from the 100 to the 300 is HUGE. The sound is vastly improved. Then from the 300 to the EC 1000, again the sound, and next the whole build of the guitar. Im actually thinking of putting some high end EMG's into my MH-300 but I want to check into how much it would cost me to do it. However I have noticed even ESP's low end models are still damn good guitars.
    it will cost you 150 usd for the 85/81 set and maybe 20 usd ( max really) for the instalation.
    hiddeninromance
    [quote] I bought this guitar mainly as a metal guitar and it's an OK fit. I really wish that it had two humbuckers instead of the single coils. Using just the humbucker you can get some metal tones out of it, but the sustain just isn't there[unquote] I was always find single coils have longer sustain...like with a strong vibrato on a strat it could go forever
    jeordie1
    why didnt you just buy a guitar with two humbuckers? its not like there are none out there you couldn't have purchased.
    The Silence
    The bridge pick up is the one that gives you that "in your face metal sound" not the neck pickup. And single coils are really good for soloing because they sound very clear and creamy.
    MCShammas
    DesolationJD wrote: first lol weird ... the floyd rose dont screw up the tuning ?! vary naice
    It's designed not to mess up the tuning. Unless you mean getting it in tune, which is difficult.
    estabon37
    I've got the MHNT250, which gives you the two humbuckers with a coil splitting option if you want them to act as single coils. The difference is the lack of a trem system (hence NT) and unlike the higher end guitars it has passive pickups. As long as you don't want a floyd rose I think the MHNT250 is an amazing guitar.
    GunLeatherGuy
    Ive got many high end guitars, ESP Mii, Music man Silo/Axis, Carvins etc....I bought this guitar as a project guitar....gonna upgrade the trem/pups... Once I setup the neck/trem/new strings....honest to god its one of my favorite guitars! It WILL not go out of tune once the trem/guitar was setup correctly! Pretty versatile.....but a very solid foundation to play blues/rock/metal on! Very nicely done for a cheaper chinese guitar...I may get another to modify but this is a keeper. Ive got a USA strat, hellraiser, prestige Ib's etc...and this guitar isnt as nice as they are...but in its own right is very nice indeed!
    ElementSkater1
    Yeah, I have this and the factory setup was TERRIBLE !!! I suggest anyone buying this should get it set up as well. And I've NEVER had problems with my Floyd.