LTD MH-250NT review by ESP

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
ESP: LTD MH-250NT

Purchased from: www.gak.co.uk

I play heavy metal, I play songs by various artists such as Megadeth, Trivium, Anterior, Lamb Of God, Pantera etc. and this guitar certainly suits my needs. It lacks the power of a top-end ESP LTD and the quality of the product is good but lacking something in comparison with more expensive guitars, not neccessairily visually, but the quality of the wood, the thickness of the fretboard and the pickups. I am playing it through my Line 6 30 watt practice amp and it sounds brilliant. I'm using a scooped sound through a metal pre-set channel and it can hold notes well with brilliant sustain and also manages to still sound clean even with the gain cranked all the way up to 11. It can be quite noisy if your picking technique is fairly aggressive and palm muting maybe necessary even when the piece of music your learning doesn't require it. The strings usually have to be a on a slightly low action because making contact with the fretboard is difficult and requires more pressure applied on the strings in order to produce a chord or an arpeggio. The guitar is really aimed at metal players, as with most ESP guitars, but a variety of tones can be achieved with this cost-effective guitar thanks to the 3-toggle pickup selector. The guitar sounds good, but because of the materials used, it doesn't sound as full and bright as a higher-end model.

As stated before, I play Metal, Hard Rock and some Blues. I've been playing nearly 2 years and I can honestly say, it is a very good guitar even though I have only owned about 4 guitars in my time of playing, most of them cost-effective guitars. If this guitar was stolen, then I'd get it again and I'd try upgrading it somewhat if I had the funds. What I love about this guitar is how it looks for the cost. It is a much more beautiful creature in person. The only really crap thing about it is that I believe if you've had it for more than 5 years then you will encounter more guitar maintenence issues than usual purely because the guitar is cheap. It certainly holds it own against guitars around 500 and the EMG pickups are a real plus. I didn't really research into it properly, but I would heavily recommend playing one first as it will give you a better idea of whether you want to buy it or not and not base it solely on a review. It is a great guitar for the price and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a powerful, maniacal, electric guitar then this would be it.

I've never played a gig in my life. I want to be in a band. From my practice sessions (which last between 3-4 hours) it holds up hard and takes a thrashing. I only ever had a few problems with the guitar, which was when I had the guitar delivered to me, thanks to my parents. I believe it was just a packaging error. There was one other issue, which was one of the wires in the jack had gone, but simply needed fixing and after this was done, the guitar played well. The guitar stays in tune great and doesn't go out of tune unless you stand it against a hot Radiator or play it outside when the wind is blowing hard. The finish is actuall very good for the price and this guitar has taken a fair few knocks since I have had it and I only have one very small hairline crack and that was from dropping the guitar on the kitchen floor when my dog started nibbling my toes. The finish will last a long, long time although you do want to make sure you look after it.

The guitar that was shipped out to me arrived broken. I don't believe that this was the durability of the guitar as it has taken plenty of knocks in it's time with me, but I simply believe it was a packaging error and got it fixed for free at my local guitar store. The bridge pickup was raised quite high, which meant that the pickups have quite a beefy output when plugged in, although slightly more reserved as mentioned before the pickups are passive and have a less of a kick in comparisson with active pickups. The guitar jack was fairly loose when it arrived, but I tightened it up with a spanner and a screwdriver. Everything else was fine and everything has been fine since.

Hello, this is my first gear review. I'm new to Ultimate Guitar reviews, so I decided to give one a go and review one of the guitars I own and for anyone who is looking for an affordable rock/metal guitar. The ESP LTD series is a lower-cut series of the original Japanese hand-crafted ESP guitars for the guitar players with slightly smaller wallets. The first guitar I had was an Ibanez RG Series weathered black, which I got at christmas and my second guitar was a definite step-up. The ESP LTD MH-250NT is a definite recommendation for axe players with a smaller budget. The guitar is a cutaway body style and the finish is a smooth, sleek quilted maple top. The colours I believe vary between Black and Sunburst, but knowledge is limited in this area as to what finishes and colours this car can come in. The pickups that came with the guitar when I ordered it were EMG HZ's, which are passive pickups that I believe don't pack as heavier punch as active ones, but they manage to work well will various styles of music and various tones your amp will output. There is a three-way toggle Switch where you can use the high-output bridge pickup to provide more gritt in your rhythm playing and a mid-way toggle option which allows you to combine both tones of the neck and bridge pickup to give a more balanced tone. The inlays are offset blocks with the model of the guitar as the 12th inlay, which I believe is kind of uneccessary and doesn't really stand out as a good 12th fret inlay and lacks in originality. The frets are 24 XJ which means the fret space is wider and allows players with larger fingers to place their fingers more easily on the neck when playing. The neck is very comfortable and smooth for the price of the guitar and is built for a variety of guitar-playing styles. The guitar comes with a volume knob and a tone knob, which operates via a push-pull coil tap and I don't really use tone knobs on a guitar and prefer using my amp to deliver my tone. My setup is fairly basic, a 30 Watt Line 6 Spider III Jam and a Crybaby From Hell Wah, as well as my Behringer Distortion X in the mix. For what the guitar is, it is very good quality. The body is an extended 25.5 scale, providing players with more space and a more feasable guitar to play on. The extended fretboard allows players to reach the higher frets more easily and makes soloing and leads a more simple task. It's certainly better than a bog-Standard electric and also comes with an affordable price tag for the quality and what the guitar comes with itself. It certainly sounds good in the most basic rig such as my one, the strap locks however, could do with changing (maybe upgrade to Dunlop?) and because the guitar is cheap it is more susceptible to wear and tear. It is an expensive guitar (350+ is alot of money) but for a guitar, it is definitely and economic choice. The guitar suits the hard rock, metal style of music, which is what I play and this is a really good guitar for the price.