LTD MH-301 review by ESP

ESP: LTD MH-301

Purchased from: Dawsons

I play mainly metal music which I feel this guitar is made for although having said that it impressed me with how much variety there is with the sound. You can go from warm and full to a very piercing bright sound so to speak and it is rarely ever noisy. I don't know why some people complain about the pickups as I have never really had a problem and with this guitar I found 'my sound' or what was then anyway. It was my first electric and I really liked it as it was perfect for me. ince then my tastes have changed slightly and I'm now onto a PRS Custom 24. I play it through a Roland Cube 30 and then through a mixer out to speakers which gives it a real killer sound (although being a modeller most guitars sound the same through it) and still gives me a great sound even through anything I want. (5150, dual rec etc.) Overall I don't know what the complaints are as far as sound go as many people feel the pickups are crap but I honestly don't see the problem. Yes changing them to 81's makes a difference but in my opinion not enough to warrant a lot of money.

Overall this guitar is great for my style of music and was superb as a starting point. I now have a couple of PRS' and I think this was a brilliant buy (good job seens as I never got the chance to play or see it before I ordered it, was pure luck). The playability is amazing and perfect for lead but I wish it was a bit better built and I wish it had EMG 81's which the newer version does (this one's now discontinued) so I would strongly reccommend the newer model to anyone although the finish is a bit cheaper if you ask me. I would probably buy it again if it were stolen or lost as I love the damn thing. Overall top notch guitar but not quite a les paul or PRS but then again you're not paying that price are you.

This guitar will withstand live playing although the I don't know whether the hardware would take years of it. The strap buttons are solid and I can depend on it without a backup. As far as the finish goes it is superb and has to be seen to be believed. It's like wow. One thing after a lot of play the fretboard is starting to look a bit cracked although its nothing serious and can be sorted really easily and one more thing, I've not had to change my strings since I bought it which I know I should but there is a really nice mellow feel to it.

This catergory is a mixed bag of spuds for me in the fact that the finish is one of the best I have ever seen and it is the best guitar I have ever and I mean ever played and believe me I have playe a lot of guitars. For me its just so perfect. However and I mean however, the overall product doesn't feel as well built as the Custom 24 or any other top brand guitar which for the money is expected. The nobs fell off as well but I just screwed tham back on and the locking bridge is awful and I mean bad and also the strings don't stay in tune if you downtune them. You have to keep doing it and then they do eventually but after five or six times and then its the same on the way up as well. But overall I love this guitar.

- 2003, - Made in Korea, - 24 frets, - Mahogany body, rosewood fingerboard, - Laminated top, - Transparent blue, - Floyd rose bridge, - Passive EMG-HZ's - 1 volume and 1 tone with 5 way selector, - Locking tuners (they're awful though)