LTD MH-327 review by ESP

ESP: LTD MH-327

Price paid: € 666

Purchased from: Thomann.de

I play: Aggressive blues->rock->hard->metal and (neo)classical(shred). I can't play blues on this guitar because of the Floyd Rose (you bend one string-> the other 5 are out of tune) as well as the pickups. This guitar is made for metal (orly..). You can play Jazz with this guitar using the coil tab and the neck pickup: sounds very neat playing clean and has a warm sound. The neck thru gives good sustain "as expected". The neck thru is made of maple whilst the body (-wings) are mahogany; that gives a sound comparable to a Gibson LP in the heights (which I like very much). The sound of the MH-327 is very balanced although I think a bit weaker in the lower middles. The depths are rich and strong as expected from a metal guitar. I'm giving it a 8/10 which for this price is really ok.

I was looking for *my* guitar for months; I bought this one because of its features; heres what I wanted: Floyd Rose, mahogany body, neck-thru, a humbucker + a single coil (or HHS or HSS) - and all of that in *one* guitar for about 600-800 euro! And I found it: the MH-327, and I'm satisfied :) I like the 27 frets; it (and the lack of a heel thanks to the neck-thru) makes playing up to fret 24 comfortable, which means: more room when improvising! The price/performance ratio of this guitar is O.K. Imo, you get the quality of sound you pay for.

I haven't had it long enough to judge the reliability and durability of it, but the hardware is all solid on it. And seams like it will last for quite a few years. It does not look like anything would conk up spontaneously in the near future. At least nothing that I couldn't fix with a screwdriver.

The factory setup was practically *no* factory setup BUT bridge intonation; the bridge intonation is just right and I don't know how they managed to do that with everything else bout the setup being complete crap; I spent 90 minutes tuning the strings the guitar came with to standard E and adjusting the Floyd Rose so its parallel to the body. Flaws: almost a cliche "made in China" finish! (I'll leave you with the details: e.g. loose controls, scruffily polished fret-ends, cosmetic stuff,..); I mean it wasn't *that* bad, but just what you'd expect the difference between ESP (e.g. handmade) and LTD (e.g. Made in nowhere factory made) to be. Fortunately no flaws that would have a significant influence on the sound. Pickups ok, Floyd Rose ok; also I wouldn't complain about the *special* (although I don't know the original); it does exactly what I want no matter how rough I treat it. (And it stays in tune, ofc).

NOT made in Korea: As far as I know most models (at least those you can buy in Europe) are made in China; the MH-327 is furthermore also being produced in Indonesia; someone on the official ESP forum claims that the Indonesian factory produces slightly better guitars than the Chinese factory (see Action, Fit & Finish). Mine was made in China. I got the BLK, so the black one. I'm not going to copy paste a spec sheet here. Giving it a 10 in Features mainly because of the Floyd Rose and Seymour Duncan pickups.

UnderBishop
    I bought one of these MH-327s used off eBay last year. The guitar plays like butter and the pickup config is great but... the Floyd Rose Special is crap. The zinc saddle-blocks are wearing out and the A & D strings keep slipping out after a while. I think the guy I bought the guitar from over-tightened when changing strings and now the wear is so bad that I can't make the string stay no matter what. By comparison, I have a Gibson SG II that I modded back in the '80s that has an OFR, (and I mean original - it was the first version that had fine-tuners). Twenty-five years later & that thing still works perfect! Anyway, I'm now looking to replace this 'Shortbus Special' FR with an OFR but, of course, the Black Nickel finish is a lot more expensive than chrome or standard black. Paid $300 for the guitar and now I gotta drop $240 for a new bridge. I would buy the saddles only - but I can't find them in black nickel, only gold, chrome or regular black. Ugh!
    openurthirdeye
    I'd say go get it. I just got a used one and it's good. Not as good as my US Ernie Ball of course but very good. I'm replacing the crumby Floyd Special with a Schaller or original Floyd if fit is an issue with the Schaller. I'll change the block as well. Tuners seem ok. Maybe I'll throw on locking tuners, Schaller of course. I have China model and its seems solid. Id say it better than Korean but not quite as good as Indonesia. So get anything but Korean in my opinion.
    Amleth
    I am considering buying this guitar, but my question if anyone can help is: There are 3 versions of it, one Korean, one Chinese and an Indonesian one. Which of the 3 would be best? and what are the differences? Thanks in advance.