LTD MH-350FR review by ESP

ESP: LTD MH-350FR

Purchased from: Sam Ash

This guitar suits my musical style very well. I like to play thrash metal, death metal, and heavy metal such as Machine Head, Slayer, Mettalica, CoB, and Zeppelin etc. But I also am very into playing psychedelic rock and stoner/doom stuff such as Fu Manchu or Dead Meadow. The 81 provides that nice heavy tone for metal riffs and somewhat sounds like Adrian Smith's Fender from Iron Maiden but if you add too much distortion it sounds like a shitty grindcore song and the 85 provides a nice crunch and is able to mimic many sounds such as Machine Head or Amon Amarth but sounds a bit thin on the top three strings. I am using a Roland Cube 40 XL amp with a DigiTech Metal Master pedal, a Vox V845 classic wah, and a Electro-Harmonix Big Muff fuzz pedal. The pickups are very quiet and don't make any noise when you remove your hand from the guitar. It has a nice thick sound and it is very dark. You can make a wide variety of stoner and metal riffs but for psychedelic rock, since you cannot change the volume of the note on your pick, it is not very suitable for psychedelic rock. It has a very nice clean sound coming out of my Roland and with the right tweaking you can make it sound somewhat like an LP on clean.

I play thrash, death metal, heavy metal, stoner, doom and psychedelic rock and this guitar is a very good match for these genres for me. I have played for about three years and I own a Jackson KVXMG and a Jackson Demmelition signature. I also own an 120 watt Acoustic Head and a 4x12 Acoustic Cabinet which is being shipped from Guitar Center. If this guitar was stolen I would go Liam Neeson Taken and find it. I would definitely buy this if I lost it. I love everything about this guitar except the Floyd. My favorite feature is how fast the neck plays and how beautiful the guitar is. I compared this guitar to others in the MH series and this guitar had the most bang for the buck. The only thing I wish this guitar has was an EMG 60 instead of an 85 and a Floyd Original instead of a Special.

This guitar seems very reliable to me and I would feel comfortable playing this live without a backup, but of course backups are a must live. I am a but worried about the Floyd Special crapping out on me as my friend has a ESP LTD M-300FM and it has gave him nothing but problems but as for me, nothing yet. My only concern is when I used my Floyd alot, the strings popped out but that is a problem concerning my shitty stringing skills. The finish on the guitar is very hard to scratch and I would believe this finish will last me a very long time.

The guitar was setup very well at Sam Ash and the action was somewhat lower then medium however, if you tried to lower the action you would experience fret buzz though it is not too much of a problem. The bridge pickup was setup very well but the neck pickup was almost recessed into the body but after some screwing it was good to go. All the electronics were properly soldered and the guitar contained NO flaws. It was perfect and the people at LTD did a fantastic job.

What year was it made? Where was is made? - It was made in Indonesia but I am not sure what year this model is. How many frets? Neck/Scale - This guitar came with 24 extra-jumbo frets and the fretboard is rosewood while the neck is made of maple. It has white bindings and it has a thin u-neck contour. Solid-Top? Laminated top? - It has a quilted maple top. Body and neck woods? - The body and neck is made of maple with a rosewood fretboard and a quilted maple top or the body. Finish - The finish is a quilted maple top. Body style - The LTD has a Strat style body. It has many cutouts so playing on the higher frets is very comfortable and accessible. Bridge style - The bridge is a Floyd Rose Special with ESP locking tuners. Active or Passive electronics? - Active. Which controls are given - The controls are a 3-way pickup selector, a volume knob and a tone knob. Pickup configuration? Make and model of pickups? - EMG 81/85. Extra Accessories - There were no accessories added which is quite normal among guitars of this price.

grungelive72
    I really wish these came with pickup options for people who dont like active pickups. ESP is a great brand, but as of late, they're only appealing to the active pickup market. I have nothing against EMGs, I just prefer passives.
    PrimitiveGuitar
    demon740 wrote: Yeah this guitar is baller, i got it. mines black and has 12 gauge strings on em, used to use 13s but **** all that... i go from shredding to death to blues.. i get really good clean with the toggle in the middle. those emg's are good, i wanna replace them with 808 x's though.. but this guitar is amazing!
    you do realise 808s are 8 string pups?
    Whitestrake
    Stay Gold
    Thanks for the feedback. I forgot to include that the neck construction is neck thru body.
    AndrewAmadeo
    christhehammett wrote: God the Floyd on this is terrible!!! I bet most of you who say it stays in tune probably have a horrible ear for tuning. The Floyd Rose Special will turn into a nightmare after 5 string changes max.
    Stay Gold
    AbsolutionNL wrote: I have the nt version and cant review it good review!
    They didn't have this on the list either but what you do is select ESP for brand and then you select "other" and then just type the name of your guitar "ESP LTD MH-350NT" into the box below.
    Stay Gold
    Whitestrake wrote: Uh, last I checked Led Zeppelin wasn't Thrash Metal, Death Metal or Heavy Metal. And the grammar is horrible. Who the hell writes these reviews?
    Zeppelin is Heavy Metal. They were one of the first heavy metal bands along with Sabbath and Deep Purple. Also this was my first review and I would like to know what is wrong with the grammar? Seems perfectly comprehensible.
    AbsolutionNL
    ebmusicman16 wrote: AbsolutionNL wrote: I have the nt version and cant review it good review! Why cant you review it?
    its not in the list, is it?
    AndrewAmadeo
    christhehammett wrote: God the Floyd on this is terrible!.
    I have the same Floyd, whatever one you played was ****ed up, or you're doing it wrong. Mines fine and its almost 7 years old.
    christhehammett
    AndrewAmadeo
    grungelive72 wrote: I just prefer passives.
    Well ESP's Het Set is active: challenge: to create a stealth looking set that captures the clarity and punch of a passive pickup and still retains the legendary active tone that molded a generation. -EMG Pick-Ups website Maybe worth a shot?
    ebmusicman16
    AbsolutionNL wrote: I have the nt version and cant review it good review!
    Why cant you review it?
    demon740
    Mons0n
    the tension from the strings was stronger than the one from the springs*
    Mons0n
    i've got this guitar for a month, it's AWESOME, the floyd is not as bad as some people say, i make dime squeals and dive bombs constantly and i haven't tuned it once, the only problem i had is that i use 09s and tune it in standard EADGBE, and i had to put an extra spring on the floyd because the tension from the strings was stronger than the one from the strings and the screws had to be screwed (lol) all the way. first guitar with actives also
    Stay Gold
    Where'd you buy it from because Sam Ash set mine up perfectly for nines. I had to readjust the tension when I switched them to tens and Im going to have to again when I buy some 11's tommorow.
    pac6789
    my roomate's aunt makes $83/hr on the laptop. She has been without work for 8 months but last month her pay was $8682 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more on this site...NuttyRich.com