LTD MH-400 review by ESP

ESP: LTD MH-400

Purchased from: A Friend/Band Member

I only one 3 guitars, and still being a new player, all I have to go off of and compare it to is my other electric guitar (third one is Taylor acoustic). My other guitar is an Ibanez RG 420, also with a licensed tremolo system. Honestly I can't get enough of how my guitar sounds. I play it through a Peavey Vyper 75 Watt Modeling Amp and the sound possibilities are endless. I spend hours experimenting with the different parameters of the amps and stompboxes, but the soul comes from the guitar. I love shredding, death metal, doom/grind, whatever. But the resonance and natural reverb is has when I play bluesy stuff, incredible. Sometimes it sounds so good I don't believe I'm actually playing what I'm playing. I know this is contrary to popular belief, but this guitar brings out the best in me, not me bringing it out of the guitar. Pickups are great, I can always find bring out whatever sound I can imagine with them, its squeals, hits beautiful harmonics, and shreds with the best. Only thing I love my Ibanez for, is that it doesn't need batteries for the damn pickups. That is the only thing that bothers me about this guitar.

I sleep with this guitar. Enough said. I can't get enough of it. Its takes a guitar like this to truly inspire the ambition to get good and devote your life to playing guitar. I wasn't into it much before with my Ibanez, but this guitar changed everything. I love that my guitar is also discontinued, has a way cooler paint job than other ones I've seen, because for some reason mine is unlike any other MH-400 I've played, and I love not having the poop colored rim around my guitar, like the other ones have. It honestly is pushing me more than I push myself to learn new styles or experiment with sound because of how well its set up. I haven't touched on this before, but the set neck construction, to die for my friends. Feeling as if its one solid piece of wood just makes it feel better than even the nicest PRS guitars I've played. I'd buy it again, ten thousand times over if I had to, and would mutilate someone if it were stolen/lost. Having played for only 3 years, I can already tell that I'll own this guitar for the rest of my life because I honestly haven't played a guitar that even comes close to it. And to hell with anyone who says Koreans can't make decent guitars.

My ESP completely outshines my other guitars. It plays better, strings only break when I'm retuning and they need the change, plays awesome standing up or sitting down. I've had my strap on this guitar for about a year and it still feels as tight as the day I wrenched the sucker on. I would use a back up if I did play live, (which I don't because I'm not that good yet. :)), simply because of the fact that if a string ever did break, it'd screw up the tuning and be impossible to improvise or move the song to a different place on the neck to compensate for the lack of the string. I've only set this guitar up myself since I've gotten it, and it feels like it was made to last. The only reason I can see this guitar not lasting is by self error or dropping it, WHICH WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

I got my guitar from a friend who is also a serious member in a band called Fire in the Skies. It was setup perfectly when I got it so I've never had to take it in anywhere or adjust anything on it. I play with a really heavy set of strings, mismatched from two different sets because I'm picky, plus its dropped two steps to C Standard and its monstrous. I never even turn my amp past volume level 2 and I blow windows out of my house. The only real flaw I feel in the guitar is the tremolo system. It takes forever to reset the Bridge and tune the strings just right when you have a floyd, as fellows trem users know. But I wouldn't have it any other way because I love doing dive bombs, squeals, and other tricks with the floyd, and it never going out of tune. Absolutely perfect.

My geet is a 2008 ESP/LTD MH-400.- Set-thru neck construction - See-through-blue finish with quilted maple top - Mahogany body - 3-piece maple neck - Rosewood fingerboard - 24 extra jumbo frets - Licensed Floyd Rose bridge - Locking nut - 25.5" neck length - Natural (wood) binding on body & white binding on the neck & headstock - Offset block inlays w/MH-400 at the 12th fret - EMG 81 in the Bridge and EMG 85 in the neck - Black and Chrome Hardware - Grover tuners. (Copied the tech specs from a previous review because they are the same) My favorite "off the bat" feature of the guitar is that it has white colored trim around the body that goes all the way up to the neck. All of the other MH-400's I've had the pleasure of playing have this disgusting brown color instead of white outlining the body and neck.