LTD MH-400 review by ESP

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
ESP: LTD MH-400

Price paid: € 450

Purchased from: Private

I play almost Old Thrash Metal (Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, Sodom etc etc etc...) Heavy Metal and Blues too (But I don't use this guitar for some reasons). My amp is a Carlsbro GLX85, and I don't use any pedal (except the Death Metalfrom Digitech, but it's too noisy). This guitar sound pretty well. The distortions are really powerfull and defined. I can't say the same thing for the clean sound: In my opinion, the EMG81 are not good for the clean sound, they're too dirty. Maybe an EMG85 o EMG60A in the Neck can fix this problem. Overall, this is a good guitar for Hard Rock and all Metal stuff. All depends from your gear and settings.

It match my style of music for his sound, but the neck and the tremolo system really sucks. I'm thinking of replace it... I like the pickups for distortion, but I prefer ALWAYS passive pickups. I like the finish and the reverse headstock too. I hate the neck, it's too fat, the tremolo system and his tuning stability. The best feature of this guitar is the aesthetics: really aggressive look. Sorry LTD, but I'm replacing this with an Ibanez RGR570IPT made in Japan in 1998: Super Wizard neck (Best neck I've ever tried), Lo-Pro Edge (One of the best Licensed Floyd Rose ever made) and DiMarzio Super Distortion on the bridge. My personal advice: Don't buy this guitar, search some old Ibanez: WAY BETTER!

I didn't try this guitar live, yet. The hardware is mediocre, but the strap buttons are good.

Let's about the defects of this guitar. Let's begin from the action. The first time I picked up the guitar, the action was HORRIBLE. It was too high, and playing was impossibile. The problem was from the bridge. Fortunately, I fixed this too. Pickups: Another bad note for this guitar The EMG81 at the neck was too low, and there was too much differences between this pickup and the EMG81 at the bridge. But overall, the output was very low. I fixed this problem too. Other bad note: The tremolo system. This "Floyd Rose" was too hard too use. So I opened the cover in the back and I found a very nice surprise: 4 SPRINGS! What the f--k?! So, I removed one. Now It's way better. But the biggest problem of this guitar, it the tuning. I've an Epiphone Les Paul Custom with the same tuners (Grover), and they're awesome: great tune stability! But in this guitar, the story isn't the same. The problem doesn't come from the tuners, but from the tremolo system. If you use it too much, it lost his tuning stability pretty fast. This is a serious problem, because you can't do anything. The only thing to do is trying to replace it with an original Floyd Rose. But, in my opinion, is a waste of money. Another problem is the neck: This isn't a Metal neck! If you buy this guitar, is because you want to play Metal stuff, and you need a thin neck for scroll fast on it. It's too fat, for me. For this reason, I bought an Ibanez RGR570IPT from 1998, with the Super Wizard neck and Lo-Pro Edge tremolo. 1000 times better than this guitar. Oh, the jack imput sometimes "scratch". The first time I thought was the fault of the cable, so I changed with a Fender cable. No way, the problem persists.

The neck is a 3-piece maple, made with set-thru method. It has rosewood fingerboard with pearloid arrowheads with model name at 12th fret. It's a 24 frets guitar. Body made in Alder, with a black lucid finish, and it's a Strat-shape. The tremolo system is a Floyd Rose Licensed. This guitar has an active electronics, with a couple of EMG81. It has 1 volume knob and 1 for the tone. The pickup Switch is a 3-way system. The tuners are Non-locking made by Grover.