LTD MH-50 review by ESP

ESP: LTD MH-50

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

I currently am running my MH-50 through a Weeping Demon, followed by a Boss Metalzone and into my Crate XT-15R. I play many different styles of music, primarily thrash metal (Metallica, Trivium) and this guitar lets me play it all. I use the neck pickup, which I adjusted from the original position by pulling it closer to the strings and adding more treble to the tone. The 24 fret neck is smooth and fast although, you might want to adjust the action because the E, A, and D strings were pretty buzzy when I first got it. The clean sound is great, all you have to do is pull back on the volume a little inorder to get a real warm bluesy sound. All in all it sounds great.

I loved this guitar from the moment I pulled it out of the box. It is beautiful you should go buy it now. No, not should, will, you will go buy this guitar now, or face the consequences! What? You refuse? I'll flame your ass, mortal!

I haven't played live with this guitar yet, unless you count showing off for maybe 15 people at once. But I have dropped this guitar down stairs and had it fall out of a van, but it isn't even scratched yet. In fact it wasn't even out of tune after I dropped it down the stairs after playing for 3 hours.

The guitar was setup fine when I first got it, I only had a few complaints, mainly because I'm a tone freak. First thing I did straight out of the box was plug in and start adjusting my pickups. Since I play lead guitar, I pulled the bridge pickup down about 1/8 of an inch so the strings wouldn't hit it when I pulled up on the tremolo. Then I set up the bridge pickup so it would have higher output (adds overdrive sounds to my distortion) and have the high I need to shred while still being able to chunk along to gallops. The action was a little low at first, but that's more a matter of personal taste. But overall it was set up fine.

My guitar is a 2007 model that was made in china (which is stamped on the back of the headstock) with the liscensed Floyd Rose tremolo. It has 24 jumbo frets on a 25.5" scale neck. The pickups are the passive, ESP LH-150 humbucker set, with a volume, tone, and 3-way switch. Mine has a black finish with a rosewood fretboard and agathis body. On a side note, it was in perfect tune when I got it and I only have to make minor adjustments after every 2-3 days of playing (I play 4-5 hours a day).