LTD MH-50NT review by ESP

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Sound: 10
  • Overall Impression: 10
  • Reliability & Durability: 10
  • Action, Fit & Finish: 10
  • Features: 8
  • Reviewer's score: 9.6 Superb
  • Users' score: 5.3 (50 votes)
ESP: LTD MH-50NT
0

Price paid: $ 256

Purchased from: Richmond Music Center

Sound — 10
She has a roarin' "Ride the Lightning" sound to it, great for all types of metal. I personally use it for bands such as Metallica, All That Remains, Bullet For My Valentine and Van Halen. The only one it has even slight problems is the bands on the lighter side of Metal, like Van Halen. It gets a little twangy on clean channels on the bridge pickups, but this is to be expected. The low power chords seem to rip through the room and it solos very well also. It makes a good variety of sounds, depending on the effects you're using. I do have a little more trouble hitting the pinch harmonics on it though for some reason.

Overall Impression — 10
I've been playing for about 2 years now....and this is the best guitar I've ever played. Which may not be saying much, I could see myself playing this guitar twenty years from now. I also own a crappy Squire Strat, a Marshall MG50DFX and Marshall MG10CD, a Zoom G2 Effect Simulator, and a MXR Phase 90. I compared this guitar to many guitar alike, none of which could emanate the same sound as this one. And for the price I payed, I could of bought 4 of them before buying a comparable Gibson or Epiphone. The only thing I sometimes wish it had was a Floyd Rose tremolo, but the string-thru helps it acquire its tone, so I'm not too discouraged by this. Overall it is a great guitar and would love to add more guitars like it to my collection.

Reliability & Durability — 10
The hardware will without a doubt last awhile, the strap buttons are solid, and it has withstood quite a few encounters with my ceiling fan. :/ ooops. I would without a doubt be able to use this without a back up during a gig, and the paint has stayed on through accidental abuse and anger alike.

Action, Fit & Finish — 10
The guitar was set up perfectly, the action is fine, and the pickups have not required any further adjustment. The metal rings that protect the strings are often dropped :/...but that in only when changing strings and while being a hassle, it in no way affects playing.

Features — 8
I'm not sure when the guitar was made, but it was in Indonesia. It has a full 5 octaves with 24 XJ frets on a rosewood fretboard. The neck itself is maple, and has a very thin U shape contour which I found has been very helpful for speedy playing. The body style is Strat and it is made out of basswood. String-thru body, and ESP Standard Tuners. There is two knobs, volume and tone, and a three way pickup selector. The pickups are ESP LH-150s. It is a Transparent finish, the action is fine.

60 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Spitty33
    You all realise the rating is a review of the GUITAR not a comparison to a 2000 dollar model right?
    Spitty33
    So stop baiting every reviewer you see on their rating, ITs high. They clearly liek the guitar. deal with it. ESP happen to made really good lowend/budget models. )
    legato500
    The high scores for this guitar is probably based on what you're getting for under $300. That's a lot of guitar that will go a long way for those starting out and on a budget. Comparing the review numbers to what you would have given your MH-1000 or any higher end guitar is pretty irrelevant.
    saint_berzerker
    Shred-Hed wrote: ... Price doesn't always determine guitar quality.
    Yeah, unfortunately it does. Why else would professional musicians play expensive instruments? I'll agree that you don't have to spend 10,000 on a guitar, but you can't get a wonderful guitar, handcrafted by experts for less than 1000 bucks.
    DFX11
    hahaha
    goldenslumbers wrote: no no no, you guys forget. It has another octave on the back of the neck...duh!
    new_age_reject
    Foxlove224 wrote: bbbbbiiiiiggggg shhhhhiiiiitttttyyyyy wwwwwqaaaaannnnnkkkkkeeeeerrrrr
    Hahaha wtf! This made me cachinnate.
    EpiExplorer
    LTD are a decent brand, just look at the Silenoz custom. But its definitly a case of 'things under 300 are generally pretty rubbish'.
    Chozodragon
    Beginner's superstrat model. Ibanez are better in this category, though maybe less metal =)
    IbanezMayhem674
    saint_berzerker wrote: Shred-Hed wrote: ... Price doesn't always determine guitar quality. Yeah, unfortunately it does. Why else would professional musicians play expensive instruments? I'll agree that you don't have to spend 10,000 on a guitar, but you can't get a wonderful guitar, handcrafted by experts for less than 1000 bucks.
    I disagree almost 100% I prefer any Epiphone made SG over Gibson everyday. I own a Mitchell's Md-100 acoustic/electric and I think it sounds just as good as any Martin Acoustic. Professional musicians play high-end expensive guitars because for a few reasons A. Because a 1970s Strat in the 70s wasn't as well good as it is now. B. It's a signature brand such as Slash's Les Paul. C. Some are just more rare/older then others.
    shanezep
    IbanezMayhem674 wrote: saint_berzerker wrote: Shred-Hed wrote: ... Price doesn't always determine guitar quality. Yeah, unfortunately it does. Why else would professional musicians play expensive instruments? I'll agree that you don't have to spend 10,000 on a guitar, but you can't get a wonderful guitar, handcrafted by experts for less than 1000 bucks. I disagree almost 100% I prefer any Epiphone made SG over Gibson everyday. I own a Mitchell's Md-100 acoustic/electric and I think it sounds just as good as any Martin Acoustic. Professional musicians play high-end expensive guitars because for a few reasons A. Because a 1970s Strat in the 70s wasn't as well good as it is now. B. It's a signature brand such as Slash's Les Paul. C. Some are just more rare/older then others.
    errrrm WHAT!! a 70's strat wasnt as good as it is now???? what kind of argument is that if u wanna old 70's strat it costs way more than a new one!! so surely the professionals ur saying go for the more expensive stuff would go for a 70's one! also what pro musicians do you see playing slash signature les pauls...except slash yeah u got one thing right some guitars are rarer or older than others!! sooo whats the problem with wanting a guitar that barely anyone else has... your argument is completely redundant and epiphone is shit compared to gibson... i disagree with you almost 100 %
    GuernZila
    y this guitar would be ok for some one whos learning. thats about it. ltds are nice but only the 400s and up. but realy ur just lazy giving it 10s on these catigories i mean realy u have 2 MGs... Thats crap tone in a can.
    sammo_boi
    ok everyone. whether this guitar is good or not, you cannot give any guitar a 10 if you're playing it through an MG50. i agree with some of this review, the low-mid range esp guitars are quite good for the money and with a pickup swap.
    Aidos
    This review basicly sums up the downfall of UG, in a word... or 2, "metal-fags"
    Briar30
    MH400 wrote: 8, 10, 10, 10 and 10? You're joking, right? It has ESP pickups and is at the VERY low end of Ltd.I own an MH400 and wouldn't give it more than a 7.5, so this guitar is no way worthy of a 9.6 overall.
    Dude, you gotta understand, this guy had a Squire Strat before this. I know he WAAYY overrated it, but when you come from a crappy Squire, almost any ESP seems awesome, even this one.
    kerguitar08
    Dude needs to play an ESP Horizon-II or a LTD MH-1000 before ever saying that an LTD MH-50NT is the best guitar ever. Guy should of saved up and get a 250 or 401. And btw, is this kid seriously 10 years old?
    NickDillon
    Zhuriel wrote: Umm... 6 strings and 24 frets makes 4 octaves, not five.
    No, it does make 5 octaves... start on the low e; then 2nd fret d string; open high e; 12th fret high e; 24th fret high e If its any consolation, i never learned to count til later on in life either
    Cartilage
    wheelz1045 wrote: Squire is about on par with Daisy Rock.
    ha at least daisy rock aren't pretending to be half decent...
    r0ckth3d34n
    To be honest, everyone is allowed their opinion. He obviously REALLY likes this guitar, and without a doubt, its better than is Squier Strat by a long shot.
    GenerationKILL
    IYanoplathizoI wrote: buy a gibson if you want REAL tone Cuz only gibbys give real tone? Alright then/sarcasm
    Comparably to this model, yeah it does. /NOT sarcasm.
    NHECOS
    btbman07 wrote: ha this guitar is like a 5/10. i had an esp ltd 50 model and it sucked, dont expect anything spectacular from this. go with and ltd 400 model or better.
    I agree... the 400 models are trully great... the 400 models (with Seymour Duncan's) in my opinion can rival with Gibsons... that MH 50 cannot be compared. Man... we get it... it's your guitar and you are proud of it... but it's not THAT great.
    Mprinsje
    yea but read what i said in the first line: i am not comparing it to guitars which are 400 euro's more. i'm comparing it to guitars of 250. i know it doesn't sound like a gibson les paul of 3000 bucks, but i'm not saying it is. if i was comparing it to a 3000 euro's guitar, it would rate lower ofcourse.
    R0B0_Ninja
    I do have a little more trouble hitting the pinch harmonics on it though for some reason.
    Ah. So it's NOT perfect and can't possibly be 10.
    Pirate Paul
    Why have so many people looked at this review? If you know the guitar sucks then why look, congratulations to everyone who can point out the obvious.
    jee5678
    You all realise the rating is a review of the GUITAR not a comparison to a 2000 dollar model right?
    True, but it's worth noting (at the very least in the comments section) that the reviewer is probably biased and that a 9.6 rating doesn't mean that someone should go out and buy this guitar and expect the same thing you would get out of a model with better pickups, bridge, neck, etc. Par exampla (french accent), my Jackson DKMG has an 8.9 rating on here. Would I go out and trade it for this guy's cheap LTD? Prolly not, homeslice.
    chanjcw
    i own this guitar. i've played on Les Pauls, Stratocasters, and even other ESP models that were $2000-$3000, and i still liked this better. its all personal opinion. i agree with these reviews. its a great, low budget guitar. i love it
    MH400
    8, 10, 10, 10 and 10? You're joking, right? It has ESP pickups and is at the VERY low end of Ltd. I own an MH400 and wouldn't give it more than a 7.5, so this guitar is no way worthy of a 9.6 overall.
    JohnVanOevelen
    I know it doesn't cost that much and it has some great features for a cheap model. But to give such a high rating...?? I would give it a 7/10, not more.
    Brave Moonlight
    Wow, those numbered ratings would go to my current MH400NT. (with the DiMarzio pickups installed.)
    Shred-Hed
    I have an M-200fm and though it is cheap, It still feels solid, I like it just as much as my Ibanez Jem. Price doesn't always determine guitar quality.
    J.J.G.
    this is not an esp. its an ltd. its the same as saying that an epi is a gibson. just a little clich if you allow me.
    btbman07
    ha this guitar is like a 5/10. i had an esp ltd 50 model and it sucked, dont expect anything spectacular from this. go with and ltd 400 model or better.
    gravensuicide
    a review is meant to be YOUR opinion. This guy clearly likes it. I have one myself. I cant say that i enjoy it. Im an ESP user full on. I have 5 of them(3 are low end models(one is modded, others will be too). The only reason im keeping my MH-50 is because i like the finish mine has lol. Its gold with a sparkly finish hahaha. anyway. yeah, reviews are opinions, not facts.
    MrFlibble
    Seriously people. Stop giving 10's to guitars that barely cost more than a couple of hundred. If your guitar isn't a flawless, master-crafted instrument from the likes of the PRS private stock, Gibson and Fender Custom Shops or G&L or whoever, it is not going to deserve a 10 in any respect. 10 means flawless perfection in the guitar world. 0 means $60 beginner crap. 5 means dead average, $500-$1000 range stuff. Get some realistic perspective.
    Dyln
    As much as a review is an opinion, it is meant to be an objective view of your personal experience. There's no way that guitar should have 8 points overall rating, let alone 9.6, it deserves 7 at best.