LTD MH-53 review by ESP

ESP: LTD MH-53

Purchased from: Daves Guitar

I play a variety of music styles from a bright sound or bluesy sound to full on metal. This does pretty well in all of these things. The two single coils do their job well and make a slightly richer sounding version of the normal single coil sound. The humbucker also adds a great bluesy sound or works fine when you are doing some stuff with metal sounds. The Floyd Rose also is nice in allowing for both dive bombs and higher pitch sounds which i believe is most used in metal. Also the sustain is nice, but i am putting in a temolo stopper for tuning which makes the sustain much better.

Like I said before, I play a lot of different styles and so far this is suiting me well. I have been playing for about nine months now, but I have been researching and looking guitars and different guitar parts for longer yet. I also own a Takamine Jasmine Acoustic which is also a nice guitar and various pedals. It should be noted that you should do your research on Floyd Rose setups before buying this guitar. THis is my first Floyd Rose and I was in for a suprise when I tried to tune this thing with just my old knowledge. I would definitly get this again if it were stolen especially if it were the same price. I was comparing this to Epiphone les pauls and sgs and I was sold by the versatility of the MH-53. If it were me, I would have the Floyd Rose on there because I have no need to have a floating bridge and focus mainly on dive bombs and it is a pain to tune, but a simple 20 dollar tremolo stopper fixes that easily. Overall this is a great guitar and would recommend this to anyone looking for an inexpensive versital guitar. Also please give constuctive criticism to this so I can make a better next review. Thanks.

I think thiss guitar is very sturdy and durable. It is a little heavy and feels thick so I think it will stand up to my damage. I have never played live so I am not sure how things would go then, but I can venture a guess to say it would go over pretty well. I still think I would use a back up because the Floyd Rose is known to break stings.

THe guitar setup on this is very nice. I have found no defects and have had no issues with the parts so far. The pickups are nice even though the humbucker doesn't seem like it was meant for the guitar. The way it sits is unatural in that there is extra cut out of the guitar to make it fit. I know this isnt the best wording but I can't think of any better way to put it. The humbuckers looks though are purely cosmetic and do not alter the sound at all. Also there is some but very little rusting on some of the screws on the pickups. The action on this is nice. I have not changed the stock strings because they perform as well as I could expect.

This is my first review so please go easy on me. Okay features! The guitar has a basswood body with a black finish, and a bolt on maple neck with a thin U neck contour. The fingerboard is rosewood with 24 XJ frets and locking nuts. It has a Floyd Rose specail bridge which is full floating. It also comes with chrome hardware and ESP tuners. AS for the pickups, it comes with two ESP single coil pickups in the neck and middle position, and an EMG humucker in the bridge position. The stock from ESP does not show it coming with this, but I have heard other people with the same setup. The original humbucker is ESP made. There is also a five way pickup selector and two volume knobs.