LTD Phoenix-200 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/16/2012 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ad free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

ESP: LTD Phoenix-200
This is the little brother of the LTD Phoenix-1000. It has 22 Jumbo XL frets, with a through neck. The body is bass wood; the neck is maple with a rosewood fret board. For me, it was exactly what I needed; it is my jazz guitar and my clean guitar.
 7.7
 7.4
 7.9
 6,678
review (1) pictures (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
LTD Phoenix-200 Reviewed by: Boer Goat, on november 16, 2012

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: This is the little brother of the LTD Phoenix-1000. It has 22 Jumbo XL frets, with a through neck. The body is bass wood; the neck is maple with a rosewood fret board. While the "1000" is made from mahogany and ebony. It comes in two finishes; white and black with a contrasting pick guard. Has the stock ESP tuners (which are pretty slick). Has a three way toggle switch, and tone and volume controls. Has the LH-150 ESP pickups, which are quite nice, very full and "meaty". Though she lacks any extra features I really like, it is a rather cheap guitar. It's a little hefty and isn't a jump and jam guitar so it wears on your stamina pretty quickly. // 7

Sound: My style is metal and rock, but I picked this guitar up to play in the Jazz band at school. I play mostly clean w/reverb, maybe a little chorus effect here and there. I have played it with some distortion. It sound pretty nice for classic rock, and soft rock. I run it through a Bugera 6262 combo which also adds a sweet sound to the overall quality. The bridge channel is very nice, gives a boost for solos, middle sounds great for just about anything, and the neck is wonderful. I use the bridge channel probably more than anything. It has a full sound and is very beefy. But, I feel like it's over all ability and range is limited. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The basic setup is exactly how I have it, other than a change in strings. Pickups never needed to be adjusted or anything. The only thing it needed was to have the neck adjusted just a little bit. Though it's probably because the guitar sat in the store for several years. The overall aesthetics is why I picked up the guitar in the first place. The body is very appealing to me, has a 50's like body style. Then the paint is pretty sweet and compliments the body very well. However I immediately trashed the strap locks because they were pretty small. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It is heavy. I wouldn't want to have to stand for an extended period of time. But other than that it is going to be a long lasting guitar. As mentioned I throw away the strap locks because they seemed so small, my straps kept falling through. So I installed strap locks. I have full trust in the reliability and the durability of the electronics. I'd imagine if I it took a fall it wouldn't phase it a bit. It's rock solid. // 9

Overall Impression: For me, it was exactly what I needed; it is my jazz guitar and my clean guitar. I really think that is what it should be used for. I own an Ibanez, Schecter, and a Fender. So most of the genres I play are filled by guitars that better fill the positions. I just didn't feel like this guitar could take the distortion like my two other guitars. If it was stolen, I'd probably suck it up and spend the extra $400 on the LTD Phoenix-1000. You get what you pay for, but the quality on the product did exceed my expectations. // 7

Comments