LTD SC-607 review by ESP

ESP: LTD SC-607

Lacuna Coil's guitarists play this model exclusively so listen to Karmacode in order to recognize it's distinctive tone. If you find yourself doing a lot of drop D tuning then consider this 7-string. The Baritone scale will keep the string tension correct tuned to a low B or A with no problems. Playing notes and chords on this guitar below the Standard low E is just so nasty, I love it. The pickups are amazing at full-on growl, but I was really amazed at how sweet it was on cleaner settings playing open chords. Blues type leads do not sound good on this guitar but then again, you probably wouldn't buy a 7-string if that was your playing style. I use it straight in to my Boogie dual recto or my Line6 PODxtLive and it sounds just like the Lacuna Coil signature sound. I am having to get used to the pickups being so close together since they are only 1/2" apart and right under where you pick. There is not much difference in the sound between the two pickups since they are so close together.

I had to wait over 2 months for this guitar to come from the factory but it was well worth it. This guitar was built for metal - as deep and extreme as you want to go. If you play rock/blues look for a 6-string. What motivated me to buy this guitar was wanting to learn Lacuna Coil songs as well as getting my own unique sound. I would recommend this for any metal player searching for a unique sound with the patience to learn how to play the extra string. I own an a Fender Strat, a Schecter 30th Anniversary C-1, and an Ovation Balladeer. I played in bands as a teen, took a break, and have been playing again for 1.5 years. I would replace this immediately if stolen and I can't think of any changes I would make to it.

This guitar will withstand beating someone over the head for crowd control if you need to! The Baritone neck makes this guitar feel like a weapon but the body is lean and balances it out perfectly. There is nothing cheap about this guitar and I would use it without a backup if I can get used to having an extra string.

Flawless black gloss finish with no defects. String action was perfect for me with no buzzing. The strings sounded bright and fresh with no oxidation. It does seem to be going out of tune easier than my 6-string but it is still new so that may change.

This is my first 7-String, but as far as guitars go this is a high quality beast. This is a member of the Stephen Carpenter signature series made in 2007, and is a Baritone extended scale guitar. Features include a 27" maple neck through mahogany body design, rosewood fingerboard, Schaller locking tuners, tone pro locking bridge with strings through body, EMG 81-7 active pickups with 1 volume, 1 tone, and 3-way toggle. This guitar retails at $949 everywhere, but I got it cheaper by buying it from a premium ESP reseller. This guitar has a really cool Stephen Carpenter initials and smiley face inlay at the 12th fret. I love the simplicity of the controls. The ESP case will run you another $90 or so.

deftools
    webbtje
    mhweaver
    Ha ha - I like deftones but I am not enough of a fan to know which songs he is using a 7-string on and probably never this model since he has 3 or 4 7-string models. The STEF-7 model is killer but retails for $2300. I have never seen a picture of him playing this model. So, whether you like LC or not you can get a feel for the guitar sound.
    Beyerun
    Webbtje, why would you want to try and get Stef's tone out of a LTD? Makes no sense to me. I don't know that he even uses it onstage. Lacuna Coil does. So it'd make more sense to comment on it matching their sound, since they use that model guitar. If you can point me to a video or concert footage with him using "his" LTD guitar, I'd love to watch it.
    Eternium
    So many bands use this guitar now. Lacuna Coil, Suicide Silence, Whitechapel, Devin Townsend.. I bet Stephen loves it. Deftones for life.
    mr666dk
    Amuro Jay
    This has to be one of the funniest posts I've ever seen.
    No Skill
    hahahhaa with the few comments above and the review, I have confirmed that I'm going to buy one of these
    Psycroptipath
    deftools wrote: mr666dk wrote: webbtje wrote: I smell Lacuna Coil fanboy. Good review though, but do you even know who Stef Carpenter is? Is this close to his tone, do his songs sound good on it? I couldn't give a flying **** about Lacuna Coil, it's the Stef Carpenter model! Play some Deftones! Hey webbtje ... You are a naive, narrow minded conservative non-metal head, who do not understand what Music is about!! Grow up and respect other opinions!!! Lacuna coil is very cool if you like them or not!! Got that Princess Barbie??? hahaha the only thing good about lacuna coil is that i would bone the lead singer until next july!
    You win the internet. I dont know why you'd buy this model over some of ltd's better 7 string models for the same price tag. I think the idea of a signature model draws people in moreso than a 'standard' model
    Blanco
    Psycroptipath wrote: I dont know why you'd buy this model over some of ltd's better 7 string models for the same price tag. I think the idea of a signature model draws people in moreso than a 'standard' model
    I personally brought it because it only cost me 450, it had a 25 inch scale neck rather than a baritone, which at the time wasn't offered on many guitars. Played really well and very similar to my ESP horizon, fitted my palm and didn't feel very bulky and cumbersome. That and it was in the gorgeous natural finish which i've recently found is quite sort after now on the sc 607 with the 25 inch scale. I agree though if your paying 800 for a ltd or ibanez 7 string and then see a signature with the same spec list but more expensive your probably paying just because it has there name on it and for the fact that certain signature series models aren't produced in large qualities.