LTD SC-607 review by ESP

ESP: LTD SC-607

The sound it's produces is huge, I play mostly progresive metal and but use my guitar acoustically as well and to my surpise it could handle both. The bridge pickup is what was expected being tight and punchy but with the other EMG sitting in the middle position you can get the bass from a neck pickup with the tightness of a bridge pickup. When played together you get a unique blend which is simply put as "the Deftones" sound.

I play ESP guitars pretty much solidly and wanted a 7 string to add to my collection and found the perfect one for me. The guitar itself is amazing to play and after the short transition into playing with the extra string. If it got stolen I would definatly buy another one.The only problem I have had is I forget to change the battery for the EMG's and that it's quite hard to find a hardcase for because of the width of the neck and angle of the headstock but that's being really picky. If you ever seen one of these come up for under 500 ($1000) buy it you wont be disapointed.

The guitar is quite weighty. I play a MH1000 as well which is unbelievably light so this was always going to be heavier. Compared to other guitars though I would say it's average. Les that a les paul that's for sure. Strap buttons got replaced straight away with Dunlop locking ones cause I'm paranoid about straps coming off. Gig wise I'm almost certain it would stand up to it, I'm yet to play it at a gig but play it in rehearsal a lot and have had no trouble.

The guitar was set up perfectly. I changed the strings instantly to 10s but the 7 string can be tuned as low as you like and it hardly rattles. The schaller locking tuners work like a charm. The mahgany top is one piece so no join marks at all. The only flaw I had with the guitar was a slight knock on the tip of the headstock which is quite common with ESP because of there shape.

My SC607 is a korean 2007 model, 25.5 thru-neck with 24 jumbo frets on a rosewood fret board with Stephen's initials at the 12 fret. it's natural coloured so the mahogany body really shows through with just the EMG 81-7 and the tune-o-matic bridge. My only dislike with this model asetically was that the pickup Switch is very close to the bridge but the second I stood up I found that it's was designed so that your little finger could easily reach it without removing my hand from the bridge.s