LTD Snakebyte review by ESP

ESP: LTD Snakebyte

Mahogany body with a set neck and ebony fretboard. I have the black satin finish one and it looks really cool. 22 XJ frets with a TOM bridge and locking tuners. EMG active Het Set pickups with one volume and one tone control. I really dig the explorer style body, I always wanted an explorer so that was the main motivation to getting this. They actually give you a case with this guitar too! That is becoming few and far between so I really like that. Says it's made in Korea but I don't know what year.

The combination of the explorer body and Het Set pickups is what I've always been missing in a guitar. This thing sounds amazing. I have 81/85's or 81/60's in most of my other guitars but I am sold on this Het Set. It sounds so full and alive compared to the other EMG's that sound sort of lifeless. I'm using this with the Helix and with those two pieces of gear combined I have been able to hit any sound I've been going for with ease.

The setup out of the box was pretty close to perfect. I had to adjust the intonation on the D & G strings ever so slightly and raise the bridge pickup a tiny bit at the lower strings. Other than that the action was spot on to where I like it. The fret work was really nicely done and there were no other flaws in the finish or hardware that I could find. It looses a point because of those minor things but overall I was happy with how it was setup.

I've never had any issues with ESP/LTD in the past, can't imagine this will be any different. The strap buttons seem pretty solid, I'm not worried about it slipping off or anything like that. I think the only issue people will run into is not being aware of how much life is left in the battery for the pickups, but that's your own fault if you let it run out. I think you'd be ok not having a backup guitar if you went out to gig with it.

I mostly play '80s/'90s metal but I dabble a bit. I'm on about 15 or 16 years of playing and in that time I have never played a guitar that feels and sounds this good. I've owned roughly 15 guitars in my time of playing and this one is on a whole different level than my other ones. I'm so impressed that I might have to pick up the snow white version as well. Why did I wait this long to get an explorer? My hat is off to Hetfield and the good people over at ESP/LTD!

Denis210
    I also recently bought a SnowWhite Snakebyte. I as undecided between the Iron Cross and the Snakebyte, but i own a Jackson Kelly so i was a bit more confortable with the Snakebyte.. This guitar is more balance and less heavy then the Kelly. I love the rich sound of the Het Set. Nothing is comparable to theses pick up. The neck is really confortable. This guitar is simply amazing. I would recommended to any thrash metal player or any Explorer lover.
    mattbarden
    Yeah man I hear you I'm loving this guitar. I can't stop playing it, it's just so comfortable and the sounds it gets are amazing. I traded all my LTD and Schecter super strats (2 guitars) when I bought this guy because I find that me and 25 1/2" necks just don't get along. I learned to play on 24 3/4" necks so they just feel right to me. I would like to get a snow white version and that iron cross too, but between buying this and a Helix recently I think I'm about tapped out for musical funds for a little while. Really happy with both the upgrades though, definitely motivating me to play more and up my chops.
    Denis210
    The only bad thing i can tell, it's was a nightmare to get it. First i bought from Amazon and the guitar came smashed ( they sell the hard case seperatly in Canada). So i return it to them. Because it was the last one they hav in hand, i decided to cancel my order and bought a new one at my local dealer. My local dealer bought for me, it was also the last one available in Canada (from his supplier). Even if if ordered it with a hard case, the ship it seperatly which is stupid. The guitar came with a little issue, Some fret were buzzing (1 to 6). So i decided to claim it for a brand new one. I took several month to get my Snakebyte. I would be faster if i bought a black one, but i definetly want a White, because it's look more like James in the '80 at his begining.