LTD TE-202 Maple Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

ESP: LTD TE-202 Maple
The guitar has 22 Extra Jumbo frets on a 25.5" scale maple bolt on neck. The fretboard itself is also maple.
 20,712
review (1) pictures (1) 9 comments vote for this gear:
LTD TE-202 Maple Reviewed by: Capataincrunch, on november 15, 2012

Price paid: C$ 350

Purchased from: Quest Musique

Features: The guitar was made in Vietnam. It has 22 Extra Jumbo frets on a 25.5" scale maple bolt on neck. The fretboard itself is also maple. The body is made of alder and styled after a Telecaster with a distressed black finish. As far as hardware goes it's got a Tele style bridge with an ESP single coil in the bridge position (LTS-120) and an ESP humbucker in the neck position (LH-150). There's one volume, one tone and a three way pickup selector switch. The Tuners are ESP tuners. // 8

Sound: When I bought this guitar it was sort of out of nowhere. I had tried it before through an Engl at the store once and liked it. I went to the store the other day and decided to just go for it. I've never owned a guitar with a single coil in the bridge and wasn't sure what to expect but I'm pleasantly surprised. I play a lot of metal, mostly progressive stuff, and a little bit of other stuff here and there (i.e. Thrice, Black Keys, Manchester Orchestra) and the guitar seems fairly suited to all of it. That being said, I was using Podfarm and some Yamaha monitors. On my actual amp, a Valveking head with a Maxon OD-808 in the signal chain, the guitar seemed a little lacking as far as high gain stuff (could just be the Valveking) but the cleans were alright and I could get some decent overdriven tones. I may switch out the pickups eventually but they'll do for now. The guitars tone isn't as bright as I was expecting but still has that great Tele sound too it. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was ready to go as soon as I brought it home. The action is great, the intonation is fine and the pickups needed no adjustments. I may put some thicker strings on it eventually though, which might lead to some tweaking. I haven't noticed an flaws as of yet. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had a chance to play this at a show yet but so far it seems pretty solid, the hardware seems pretty good minus the pick switch which I could see breaking off if the guitar gets banged around too much. I probably wouldn't gig with it without a backup but that's mostly because I always take one, regardless of how great my main guitar may be. The finish is pretty nice, I actually think I got somewhat lucky as some of the distressed finishes on these models are a little bit too distressed. It also seems like it could stand up to some bumps and things. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall I'm really happy with this guitar. I've been looking for something a little out of the ordinary as far as metal guitars go so this is a nice find. I've been playing for almost ten years now and I've gone through a fair amount of guitars now, this one seems to be a step forward as far as finding the "right" guitar for me. I think the next best thing would be an actual Fender Tele. If I lost the guitar, I would probably replace it with either the same thing or another Tele from another brand. // 8

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD Phoenix-1000 8.6 Electric Guitars 01/22/2016