LTD Truckster review by ESP

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
ESP: LTD Truckster

Purchased from: Axe Music Store

The ESP LTD Truckster sounds great for most types of rock and heavy metal music. The EMG's give it a really nice crunch through an amp with overdrive or distortion. The pickups remain relatively clean sounding so it's not too muddy. The Truckster performs as expected with EMG pickups on a clean tone. They aren't the best for riffs aimed at being crystal clear but this isnt surprising for such high output pickups. The only time I get any amount of hum from this guitar is when my amp is on the lead channel, but it is minimal. I'm running this guitar through a Peavey JSX Signature Head with a Boss DD-6 Delay in the effects loop and a Zakk Wylde Signature Wah through the input. This guitar is really well suited for heavy metal and heavier rock genres.

Overall The ESP LTD Truckster give you a real great bang for your buck sound. I play mostly hard rock (Zeppelin, Van Halen, Kiss etc) and heavy metal (Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Testament, Metal Church, Ozzy etc). And it handles these genres and bands perfectly. I particularly prefer this guitar for rhythm guitar parts, not because it's a James Hetfield model and he plays rhythm (mostly), but because its sound is really big and thick with overdriven chords. I've been playing over 6 years and I find it to be a guitar that really delivers. My favourite thing without a doubt are of course the EMG pickups, they are just perfect for heavy music. The only thing I wish this guitar had was the Sperzel locking tuners like the higher end ESP Truckster model has, but hey you can't have it all. I also own a Dean Dime-O-Flame and a Fender American Standard Strat which are both amazing guitars. I think personally if it were stolen I would not buy it again as I'm someone who perfers to have a whammy bar on thier guitar because I play a lot of leads that incorporate it. Definately a guitar worth checking out if you're in the market for a guitar with a really tight crunch sound that can deliver when playing on 11.

This guitar seems like it's built to last. I do have an issue with the strap buttons and tuners though. I found that the strap buttons almost too small in a way, the strap seemed to slip off of the top button quite often during playing. The other issue I have is that the B string seems to go horibly flat after a while more so then the others. That being said I haven't had any major tuning problems with the other strings. I personally use this as more of a secondary guitar that I keep in different tunings such a drop D or down a half step etc. I wouldn't take any guitar to a gig without a back up.

The guitar came perfectly set up from the factory. The action was at a reasonable level and the pickups were well adjusted as well. I've had this guitar for just over a year now and I haven't changed a thing on it except the strings. The guitar contained no flaws, the bridge, finish, action, and pickup placement were great.No problems here.

The ESP LTD Truckster has a Set Neck construction 24.75" scale, a mahogany body, a 3-piece mahogany neck with a rosewood fingerboard, Thin you neck shape, Schaller locking tuners, Flag inlays and 22 XJ frets, Satin chrome hardwear, Tonepros T3B-T & T1Z Bridge and Tailpiece and features an EMG 81 in the bridge and EMG 60 in the neck and white binding on the neck body and headstock. This guitar is based off of the ESP Eclipse series of guitars with a few minor changes. This guitar all features two three way pick up selectors, the second of which is just a dummy switch (located near the top of the body).