LTD V-300 review by ESP

ESP: LTD V-300

I play rock and metal (anywhere from Rush to Motorhead) and the V-300 suited my style perfectly. EMG's are some of the best pickups for metal and that is very evident on the V-300. It can produce a deep thick sound for rhythm and a high-pitched wail for solos. When the guitar is not playing and the amp is turned on, nothing can be heard. It is amazingly silent when not playing, that is one of its best features. While the EMG's truly Shine with distortion on, they also produce a very rich sound when playing clean.

For metal and hard rock this guitar is amazing. When I play Van Halen or Megadeth, it can sound exactly like the record. It can make a nice sound for any genre of music, I've used it in private to play The Beatles, Grateful Dead, and Roy Orbison though that would look strange live. The V-300 has a wide variety of sounds and if it were lost or stolen I may try to upgrade, but if I only had $600 the V-300 would be the best choice for me.

This guitar should be fine for a live show. I play it for hours at a time with no harm done to it. The hardware of the guitar seems like it will last for a long time. My strap has slipped off of the guitar once or twice, but it is an uncommon occurrence. Theoretically I could use it for a gig without a backup, but I wouldn't play any gig with any guitar without a backup. The finish does not seem durable as I've had the guitar for only about half a year now and there are already two chips in the finish.

The action was a bit higher than I'm used to when I first got it, it has since been adjusted and plays perfectly. The pickups were set exactly as they are now and are easily my favorite pickups out of all my guitars. The guitar looked perfect at first glance, but upon further inspection there was a chip in the finish. It was a very small chip, so it doesn't detract from the guitar at all. Six months later and I noticed another chip in the finish. Other than that, it was perfect.

It is a 2011 ESP LTD V-300 made in Indonesia. It comes equipped with two EMG 81 pickup sets and a 3 way pickup selector. The EMG's are active, so be ready to rock. The V-300 has a mahogany body and a mahogany set-thru neck. The neck is very thin and has 24 XJ frets on a rosewood fretboard. The bridge is tune-o-matic and the guitar has a string through body. It comes equipped with standard ESP tuners. It looks and feels amazing to play. The body does seem a bit large, so if you're on the smaller side you might want to avoid this guitar.

Seth Shadows
    Imo, this guitar would've been much better with passives. I have a V401DX that I switched out for DiMarzio Breeds and I find it sounds way better. Good review though.
    BlackDeath92
    crocoscar wrote: ain't that exactly the same as the dv8 dave mustaine signature guitar ?
    The DV8 had a 8-ball inlay and passive Seymour Duncan pickups. Otherwise, the V-300 is a very similar design.
    BlackDeath92
    Forgot to mention, I think the DV8 also had an ebony fretboard.
    Powersurge213
    Isnt this exactly the same as the Jackson King V?
    Good_Lord
    Grimriffer
    I prefer guitars with actives as default, since it is far easier to switch from actives from passives then vice versa.
    LiamPodmore
    Good_Lord wrote: EMG's are great, but ESP only sells all their guitars loaded with EMG's ... not that great for versability.
    ESP Eclipse II Distressed: Seymour Duncans ESP Eclipse II w/Duncans: Seymour Duncans ESP Eclipse II Vibrato: Seymour Duncans ESP Phoenix II: Duncans ESP Rob Caggiano: Dimarzios Need i list any more? Liam