LTD V-401DX review by ESP

ESP: LTD V-401DX

Purchased from: samash.com

I play heavy metal. Any thing from at the gates to whitechapel. Suits me very well, nice heavy aggresive tone. I'm running it in to a Ibanez ts-9 into a Boss ns-2 to a Peavey 6505+, and is great sounding. Best rig I have ever used. Has a nice full sound, love the tone a mohagany body has. The EMG 81's do metal extremly well but tend to distort the cleans tones, but this guitar is aimed for metal so that is what these pups do. I do not use cleans so this is a 10. If you like cleans get some SDs.

For the metal style it is a very good choice. I was concidering a Jackson king v used for 1400 at GC, but in the end this was a better option. If you want to play country or something with great clean tones don't wast your time and money just go buy your self a nice little Strat or something. This is a metal guitar and does a great job at doing it. I have been playing for 6 years and have owned a many of guitars every thing from Jackson, to Cort, to Ibanez, to Deans. If it where to be stolen I would not hesitate to buy another. This is the best, most affordable, quality V money could possibly buy. The thing I love most is the neck. I will only play set or neck thru necks, and this is the best set-thru I have played. The neck contour is perfect just a smidge thicker than a ibby, but more comfterble than the RG. Same kind of Jackson contour. I think of it as the best of both worlds thin, but still a great contour. I have tried many V and this if by far the best. Jackson equivilants are outrageusly high priced and no one else makes a decent King V style guitar.

The guitar is built like a tank and will withstand Live playing. The hardware is very good especially the bridge. It stayed in tune very well even while using the bar(my ESP m-302 and Iby Rg you cannot even use the bridge with out it going to shit. The strap buttons where solid they wide and fat ends. I can depend on this guitar I use the M-302 when I gig but in a different tuning. So I do gig without a back up. The finnish should hold up its seems solid unlike the Ibanez finish(which chips easily Because of the basswood body, I think)

From the factory the action was pretty good set up with 9's but is use 11-70's tuned to Bb so changed strings adjusted the truss rod, set the bridge and intonation, and now plays like a dream. The pups where fine where they were no adjustment needed. The only real flaws I found where a small chip in the lower horn, very tiny not noticable at all. These V shaped guitars always get nicked up on the hornes so I am not worried about it. The second is also very minor, the toggle Switch was in stalled backwards(bridge pup is when the toggle is up twards the neck) this was an easy fix took 10 mins, no need to ship it back. Giving it a 7 for the toggle issue. Other than that pretty much flaw less.

Features 24 frets, rosewood board, arrow head inlays, maple neck, mahogany body, flamed maple top, king V style shape, Floyd Rose special, active EMG 81's, 2 vol, 1 tone, 3 way toggle, Grover tuners. Every thing a metal player could ever want.

CapnKickass
    TheDill
    Metallica1554 : Thanks, i was waiting for a review! I want to buy either this, or a schecter hellraiser v floyd rose
    the scheters own..i own a hellraiser v with fr..so sick
    g13_honda
    If this is anything like my EC-1000 it's pretty much bullet proof. ESP LTD's are some fine ass instruments.
    Shinozoku
    filthylittleboy wrote: my only quarrel is the fret inlays... they're so bloody ugly
    They're one of my favorite parts lol!
    CapnKickass
    guitarguyryan94 wrote: CapnKickass wrote: I don't think he said that, you're just making bogus reasons to whine at people. I wonder are there any good gibson flying V copies? I like the look of those but not the price. Dean and Hamer make some good flying V copies. Sorry about that first post, I accidently hit post comment before I wrote anything.
    Cool, I like the look of the hamers, the deans not so much.
    diefordethklok
    rocnroll4evr93 wrote: GuitarPlayer716 wrote: Nirvana00125 wrote: good review, but he just kinda puts down a bunch of guitar brands. Get over yourself: just because you bought a crappy ibanez does not mean Ibanez is a bad guitar. Oh, and strats can be used for metal....just sayin.... Thank you! I find myself defending strats in metal all the time. While they may not have been designed for metal (cuz it wasn't around yet) defining metal bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Motorhead all used Strats Ive got nothing against strats, but i dont like single coils. and Iron maiden use strats w/ 2 humbuckers
    Thank you, lmao.
    guitarguyryan94
    rickyj
    Nirvana00125 wrote: Oh, and strats can be used for metal....just sayin....
    but you dont see anybody usin a esp v for country music that often
    Metallica1554
    Shredder Guitar
    Angel aka alaab wrote: CapnKickass wrote: I don't think he said that, you're just making bogus reasons to whine at people. I wonder are there any good gibson flying V copies? I like the look of those but not the price. Dean makes some good Flying V copies, and the '79 reissues are very VERY nice considering the price ($500) and where it's made(korea). I highly recommend one of the '79 reissues.
    Tis true. I own one.
    rocnroll4evr93
    Angel aka alaab
    kaizerkhan13
    dude ive seen a deathcore band with a guitarist using a friggin telecaster. and not a john 5 or slipknot model, just a straight up telecaster. change the pups and you can use any guitar for anything. anyway, good review man, i love the ESP/LTD company and have been eyeing the V for a long time
    GuitarPlayer716
    Nirvana00125
    gromitts
    im considering getting one and this has pushed me further to get one know tar dudes