LTD V-401DX review by ESP

ESP: LTD V-401DX

Price paid: C$ 921

Purchased from: Mother's Music

I play all kinds of metal music (Metallica, Megadeth, Children Of Bodom, Arch Enemy, Wintersun) and this guitar fits the style very well. I own a Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt and a Line 6 PodX3. I play with a lot of distortion and the sound is simply f--king killer. It's very sharp and has a lot of crunch to it. For clean settings, it isn't the greatest but it isn't the worst. With two EMG 81's, getting the best clean sound just won't happen. Overall, the sound is very amazing and is perfect for any guitarist that plays metal.

This guitar is built for metal. No questions asked and is the perfect match for any metal guitarist looking for a quality King V shaped guitar. I've been playing guitar for just over two years now and I own an ESP LTD EX-50. If it got stolen, I would get another one of these without thinking twice. I love the sound and the playability the most. I don't hate anything about this guitar. My favourite feature is probably the pickups. I haven't owned a guitar before with EMGs in them and I think these have a much more well balanced tone over Seymour Duncans (I have Seymour Duncan Blackouts in my other guitar). I would prefer that this guitar had an EMG 60 in the neck so that clean playing would sound better but that can be fixed no problem. Overall, this guitar is amazing and worth every penny. If you don't want to spend shitloads of money on a high end Jackson V, then this guitar is the one to get.

The guitar can withstand countless amounts of beatings. No matter how hard or long you play, it will always stay in tune. I have f--ked around with the bar for countless hours and it stays in tune 99% of the time. The guitar will easily make it through live playing and the hardware is nothing but solid. It's completely dependable and I don't even consider getting a backup when going on a gig. The finish is great on this guitar (I tend to hit the guitar into a lot of things especially around the points because it's a pretty big guitar) and there isn't a single sign of wear yet.

When I got the guitar I first played it in E and the action was fit very well. The pickups were adjusted properly and everything was in proper working order. The see-thru black design is barely noticable and can easily be mistaken for a glossy black colour instead, but it doesn't bother me. I set up the guitar to C and adjusted everything necessary and now it is easily one of the best guitars I have ever played.

The Features - Mahogany body with maple neck, rosewood fretboard, grover tuners, Floyd Rose bridge, active EMG 81s, two volume knobs, three way toggle switch, and a master tone knob. It's a King V shape with arrowhead inlays and a baddass see-thru black finish on a flamed maple top. Features are solid for any metal guitarist.