LTD V-50 review by ESP

ESP: LTD V-50

I play metal music (mostly thrash, death, etc. - Megadeth, Pantera, Slayer, Testament, Lamb of God). This guitar suits this style pretty good. I don't care much for playing lead (I'm more of a rhythm section kinda guy - but that's strictly as a result of lack of skills needed to play lead). This guitar handles rhythm playing well (the clarity of notes in the chords in distorted mode is pretty awesome). - As far as my equipment goes - I use a small Marshall practice amp (proverbial "I'm in the middle of amps" situation LOL). MXR Dime Distortion Pedal. DigiTech RP-90 Multi Effects Processor. - Guitar sounds very bright and all the notes are clear. But at the same time it is got some sort of punchiness to its tone and it makes a "roaring" sound (which sounds awesome). It has lots of sustain, which is not very usual for V-shaped guitars. It picks up harmonics right away. And there is absolutely no noise (no pickup hissing, that is so common to ears).

- So overall this guitar is perfect for my style of playing and my preferences in guitars. - I've been playing for about 7 years now (damn, I suck for someone who's been playing for that long )))). - There are not much reviews or YouTube demos on this guitar, so I wasn't really sure about what I was about to buy. But once I tried it in the store all doubts were shattered. This guitar is totally worth its price (not going for those cliche "it's worth much more than it costs" or "that's practically a steal"). Solid instrument for it's price. You're getting exactly what you're paying for. - "Anything you wish it had?" I guess it would be interesting to hear this guitar with 81/85 EMG's in it (yeah, it's becoming a trend, isn't it). So maybe later I'll change the pickups..... Or maybe not. - So, it's a great guitar. I recommend it to all the fans of metal music who are on a tight budget. P.S. I know my review is one of those "fanboyinsh" ones that have no cons stated about the instrument. But I really have nothing bad to say about it yet (considering the fact that I bought it just 8 hours ago). So I guess it's too early for me to write a review on this guitar, but whatever - there were no others, so at least I wrote something about it.

- I don't gig, so I have nothing to say about it's durability and reliability. I guess if I had to play a show I would definitely use it - it's not broken, so why not. - As far as not having some other guitar for a backup - that's just retarded. That's a textbook example of what not to do when preparing for a gig.

- The factory set-up was pretty much flawless (hard to believe, isn't it? - considering it was made in China). The action was just right. - Pickups height doesn't really mater to me, so I didn't pay attention to that aspect. But I guess it's fine. - The only flaw I could notice was the oxidized screw on the bridge, but that's nothing - it doesn't affect playability at all and can be fixed in seconds. - No finish or hardware or wiring flaws.

- Not sure about the year it was made, but I'm guessing it's 2010. It was made in China (yeah, sounds bad, I know). - 24 XJ (Extra Jumbo) Frets. 25.5" scale. - Thin maple neck (U contour). Rosewood fingerboard. I was always skeptical when people are talking about "fast neck". In my opinion if your fingers are not fast, there is no neck in the world that would make you play faster. And I am usually a clumsy player, especially on guitars that I'm holding in my hands for the first time ever. But this guitar surprised me quite a bit. It was really easy to play, no stress on muscles and joints in the wrist and palm - overall comfortable neck. - Basswood Body. Really comfortable (despite the popular belief that V-shaped guitars are impossible to play sitting down - but then again I've played V-shaped guitar for years and absolutely love 'em). - Mine is a black color. - "TOM Bridge" - whatever the hell that is. Basically a "String-thru body" bridge (which gives awesome sustain). - Passive electronics (2 ESP LH-150 pickups). The pickups are another thing that surprised me on this guitar - they sound pretty damn good for stock pickups (even on a crappy practice Marshall amp). But having 2 of the same pickups in both positions seems a bit pointless and redundant to me. - 3-way toggle switch, 1 volume, 1 tone. - ESP Tuners (look like Grover mini tuners, but don't know if they match the quality of Grover yet).

guitarfreak222
    Tyler Durden
    This review is terrible...if you dont even know what a TOM bridge is then you should NOT be doing reviews for others....and the 9/10/9/10/10 rating is absolutely rubbish, yet another FAILED review. Doesnt UG proof read these first? Bought the guitar 8 hours before doing the review....common!!!!
    Stormfish
    I'm looking at this, or perhaps the Jackson equivalent or even KVXT (though people don't sound keen on the passive EMGs). The intention is to get something that can take a good thrashing and easy to restring while of course looking good (the pointy V appeals). Impossible to find a store that stocks one let alone both ESP and Jackson within a sensible distance so may have to go off the shelf (not a fan). Advice?
    bruffy7
    i think it makes a lot of sense that there would be more low end reviews. if you're buying a low end guitar you're obviously on a tight budget, so you're gonna want to scope out the market to see what you can find for your money.
    Stormfish
    Ok, bought the Snow White one. Excellent overall quality, pickups reasonably hot, bridge is a bit cheap, will probably replace. managed to get a 2nd hand case imported from Germany (hurrah for eBay). It was impossible to get the official nod possibly only suitable case in the UK. Anyone after the official case, you need the CVFF case. Guitar looks fantastic.
    Kmmusicman
    Hey, i'm not entirely worried about the gigbag deal, maybe the one above might work. My real question is can you tap easily on this guitar? i've heard ltd pickups are pretty hot, i have a friend who ones one that kicks ass-please respond quickly, i need to know how the tapping is.
    mustaine_metal
    There is literally NO gigbag that will fit this without stretching and eventually breaking sadly, but a Gator Extreme Case will fit (I think)
    Im afraid this guitar doesnt fit with any gig bag. I spent so many time searching for someone, and finally I bought a Gator Extreme Case and doesn`t fit, there`s 0.4 inch over the bag... But I saw on e-bay a ESP leather case that ensures fits perfectly. Whats the point? Its 199.99$, so unless you can afford it foget the idea of a gig bag.
    cambfmv
    EddieRowan wrote: it says it's good with rhythm, what about lead?
    (My review was the first one, I was just unregistered at the time ahha) I at first thought playing lead was a bit "hard"? on this guitar, like compared to my friends Ibanez it was nothing compared to the ibanez for lead. I am learning to shred on this although I'm not sure why but it seems ahrder to shred on than some other guitars. But I can, just took some time to get used to. And when you're used to it. You'll LOVE this axe.
    Braadhimself
    Guitar Sushi wrote: Yeah the review is way too shiny. I prefer something a little more realistic but seeing as our reviewer here is obviously one angry guy I guess I won't say anything since it's extremely difficult to argue with someone who says things like, "you can suck my huge sweaty balls"
    HAHAHA!! this literally made me laugh out loud!
    Ronvk
    I bought this guitar about a month ago and I love it.I play alot of Slayer,Alice in Chains and Sabbath and this guitar is perfect for me.Great guitar and its cheap to buy.You cant go wrong!
    shaymack37
    As opposed to slamming or loving the review, I will add on to it. The review sounded good to me, I also have an ltd (F-50). I loved mine to begin with, hot pups for a cheap guitar and the neck wasn't bad. But I've now had it for a couple of years and the wiring is going out and the neck is twisting in a weird way. I can't fix the neck problem with truss rod adjustments because it isn't bending in a natural way...it's twisting, and I've done no abuse to the guitar to cause this (humidity, what not). And my volume control gives out all the time. Right now I'm fixing up an old Ibanez I bought for my first guitar, an RG 270. The Ibanez is built a lot better but I'm putting the ltd pickups in it! They sound great for passive stock pick ups. Ltd's are a great value but don't expect them to last forever, the quality just isn't there. Peace.
    Guitar Sushi
    Im_Broken
    guitarfreak222 wrote: RyanMetalMatthe wrote: Why would get this entry-level piece of garbage when you could have the V-300? Uhh.. for people who want to start guitar and they are into metal? No one starts playing with a high end guitar..
    yeah. if you start with a 54' strat, then your just a dickbag. you gotta build up to it.
    king666nothing
    @RyanMetalMatthe I have a hi-end guitar already. I got this one just so I can change tuning quickly without worrying about the Floyd Rose set up. It's not my main guitar. @Tyler Durden Lighten up, douche. At least I wrote something about this guitar. Until someone else writes a better review for this guitar you can suck my huge sweaty balls. How 'bout that?
    scorpio2billion
    Might I also add that it's silly to knock someone for giving their rating of their guitar? If you like a Telecaster, you aren't going to give a Flying V a bunch of 10s. And vice versa. So, if you're here trashing peoples reviews, maybe you need to realize that a review is someones OPINION. At least you aren't having to read them in a guitar magazine, where reviewers are paid to say nice things about instruments. If you wanna complain about how someone feels about their guitar, use that energy to write a review about YOUR guitar, so everyone can tell you what a POS it is. The best guitar I ever owned was a Univox Hi-Flier that I paid 175 bucks for. It made an Ibanez feel like a classical guitar, and sounded like a banshee. Play nice or go home.
    zakarai
    Fair review. Disapointed you don't know what a TOM is :o! CTgraphixguy, its good people review low end guitars as well because these reviews help people decide what kinda guitar to get . And quite alot of Esp Ltd's low end wise are alright
    Deamontool
    Could we get some reviews of some top-end guitars??? Don't need another review of these entry-level axes. Perhaps this is a society for newbies, but I thought otherwise...
    (tony montana speaking) Why dont you stick your head up your ass to see if it fits? come on, are you serious? prehaps you should write one, and in here we love guitars (some of them are crap but... who cares you can always play jimmy and burn them.)
    subzero364
    I think people should say in the review whether they are rating overall compared to all guitars, or 'for the price'. For the price LTD's are amazing. I would give my MH-50 9's and 10's as a 'for the price' review, because frankly (and much to my surprise, believe me) I haven't played anything inside the $700 range that feels near as good as my $300 mh-50. But yeah, LTDs are great!
    Nanto
    I'm a late bloomer when it comes to guitars. I Have a LTD Viper-50 and my friend has this guitar. I played on it a couple of times and it just feels right.... and i don't even like flying v's
    Shoji001
    to me, anything above LTD's 250 range (MH, F, V etc) is going to be a good product. such as the MH-250, just put an 81 in the bridge and you have a great guitar! worth twice its price.
    jerm138 wrote: I don't know if I'd give them a 10 because the stock electronics aren't typically that great, and the fretwork could always be better. But I'd be reluctant to give a 6 because, to me, that signifies a bad product. .
    very true, 7 should do it
    jerm138
    I like the LTD line. I have the M-100FM, which is one of the lower-end Indonesian models, but certainly doesn't look or feel cheap at all. I replaced the bridge pickup with a SD Invader and it made a big difference. If you know how to set up a guitar properly, these "low-end" ones can be really great. I don't know if I'd give them a 10 because the stock electronics aren't typically that great, and the fretwork could always be better. But I'd be reluctant to give a 6 because, to me, that signifies a bad product. I'd probably also wait a little longer and get some friends to try it out prior to reviewing just to be a little more objective.
    TheAbsentOne
    It's probably being scored so high due to a low price, most low end LTD's I've ever played were pretty decent and I actually now own an LTD H-100, yet another low end LTD, and overall it's not bad whatsover. I mean, it's not a perfect 10 by any means. But in most categories I'd probably rate it around the 6-7 mark.
    Shoji001
    good review, apart from having nearly all 10's. is that comparing it to the price? or just generally. usually i would expect somthing like this to get 6's, and hi-end PRS's to get 10's. but this is just me nit-picking xD
    CTGraphixGuy