LTD V-50 review by ESP

ESP: LTD V-50

Purchased from: Steven James Guitars

I play anything from Death Metal, metal, metalcore, rock, punk, blues and pop (like The Beatles) such as Cannibal Corpse, Metallica, Bullet For My Valentine, AC/DC, My Chemical Romance, Chuck Berry, and The Beatles. Doing music at college I have to change tunings from Drop B (rarely) and everything in-between to Standard very often. I have 11 gauge D'Addarios which handle the changes excellently (drop B being a bit loose)But this guitar stays in tune amazing. This guitar sounds perfect for metal, I run through a Laney LX120 and a Peavey Rage 158 15 watt, the pickups sound hot, and with some feedback if sat too close to the amp with high gain. The clean sounds aren't great but V's are never too great for clean sounds, especially a low/mid range V. But for anything from Job For A Cowboy to The Beatles it will hold it's own. However looking back if I had a wide style of playing i'd have got another guitar. But for metal It's amazing for the price. It's not made for anything else...

I've been playing for about 3-4 years now and have a Fender Strat (with humbucker) and I love this guitar. There's not a day goes by I don't play this. It was either this or an ESP MH-50 (I'm a student I'm on a budget.) I'm glad I choose this due to the fact I often Switch tunings and It's a lot easier without a Floyd Rose. I love the shape, the sound and the playability, however if I was a lead player I might disagree. I am now getting an Epiphone Les Paul Custom for more versatility and a better Clean tone.

I've gigged with this guitar twice without backup, and hasn't let me down yet, everything seems very solid, strap buttons are fitted well. I play this everyday for about 5 hours and have done for about 4 months. However due to me not having a case for a few weeks it did take a few knocks and chips off the spikes when taking it to and from college everyday but nothing major.

The action was quite high which was quite annoying to play, but once lowered this guitar plays brilliantly. The guitar came in perfect condition however after time the jack socket came loose but that was an easy fix.

My model was made in 2010 (I think, there's no date on the guitar) The V-50 has 24 XJ frets which honestly, are slightly hard play on while doing lead on the higher frets on the higher string but that may just be my finger strength or preference, for rhythm playing I think they're amazing. Rosewood fretboard and basswood body make the sound good but not the best, however my guitar is the best sounding mid range V guitar i've heard with excellent sustain. It has a bolt on neck with a gloss black finish which suits this guitar perfectly. The body is quite thick which I like, the guitar is also quite heavy, (Just a bit less than a Les Paul I think.)which makes it feel great when playing standing or sitting. Tune-O-Matic bridge makes it extremely easy to lower the action (which is needed, mine came with quite a raised action.) Passive ESP LH-150 pickups which are quite high output, great for metal and rock playing. A tone and volume knob and a 3 way pickup selector. Some people find it annoying to sit with for obvious reasons but I got used to it straight away. There is literally NO gigbag that will fit this without stretching and eventually breaking sadly, but a Gator Extreme Case will fit (I think) Overall this is a great guitar for the price and for metal (which the guitars been made for) is amazing. (Ratings are based on price)