LTD V-50 review by ESP

ESP: LTD V-50

It suits my music style well. ESPs are created to make dirty sounding music. This guitar comes with passive ESP stock pickups. But I can say easily this guitar is well for thrash, death metal. If you like clean sounds of course this doesn't have sounds like single coil pickups. But If you want to get sounds at arpeggios and clean parts of bands like Metallica this can handle it well. I'm using it on a Roland Cube 20XL and I like the sound I get from this guitar. I can get pure thrash sounds, nice palm mutes from this guitar. I sometimes switch to clean, acoustic and overdrive channel on my amp and strum around chords and add improvised solos it. I can have a little bit bluesy sound on it but can't get it's smoothness because of humbuckers. The stock ESP pickups handle my style well but sometimes it can be powerless if you play something that's too complicated. (I mean about technique).

After all these review this guitar suits well the style of music I play. (Thrash, Death, Black Metal). If it were stolen or lost, it depends on money I have in my pocket about buying this guitar again. If I had something $250 I would buy this. I compared this guitar with B.C. Rich and Jackson JS32 King V. B.C. Rich seemed too cheap and China. I'm a Jackson fan but Jackson's cheap, Indian models are not good. JS32 has a wood called Cedro. So I picked up this guitar.

I think with a pickup modification this guitar is durable at live shows. Because it's shape is designed to play live and impress audience. If you're a professional, you probably will look Jackson KV2 or something in that range. But if you play in a local band and gig at small shows this guitar with a pickup modification according to your style would suit you. This guitar's finish is quite good. I surprised, because it's paint really looks expensive and cool.

I bought this guitar at a local shop. The action was quite low. But after a few while, when I tried to drop my tuning to D, I realized that it was forcing the bridge. So I re-tuned it to standard tuning. But that's not a big deal. Adjusting bridge and changing strings are provided with my dealer for free. There is no noise when switching between pickups. But when I play a chord and change volume knob while the strings are still vibrating, I get a buzzy sound. The prevent this you need to hold the strings with your palm. But this problem went itself. The main problem with this guitar is about the point where the neck and body being joined. The neck is thin but after 20th fret it's hard to reach upper frets because of bolt-on. It's getting thicker 3 times almost neck's normal size. Playing a v shaped guitar is enjoyable and ergonomic for accessing frets while standing. Generally people say it's impossible to play a "V" while standing. But after 3 days you will have no problem and no pain at your knee. The tuners are stable and good. It stays in tune even you play hard. I tuned my guitar and went out of city for 11 days. When I came back check it if it was in tune. It stays in tune well.

I don't know anything about when it was made. But It was made in Indonesia. It has a basswood body which is often used by beginner guitars. Comes with maple neck and 24 extra-jumbo frets rosewood fretboard. The bridge this guitar has is a Tune-o-matic-style string-thru bridge. The strings don't stop on body like Les Paul's stop tail tune-o-matic bridges. Strings go inside of the wood. So this makes a good effect for sustain. The guitar has two humbucking pickups. ESP LH-150 stock pickups used in bridge and neck. A volume, a tone and 3 way selector were given to control pickups. The tuners are made by ESP and non-locking tuners. I've a black finish guitar with chrome hardware. I'm giving a 9 because of only one volume knob and bolt-on neck. By the way I never hoped to see two volume knobs and set-thru neck for $250.