LTD V-50 review by ESP

ESP: LTD V-50

Purchased from: GuitarCenter

• Basswood body ("V-shaped")
  • 24 Extra Jumbo frets
  • 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob
  • ESP branded tuners
  • Chrome hardware
  • Gloss black finish
This guitar was made in China around 2009 or 2010. Its pretty straight up, not a lot of frills but solid. At the time I was looking for a guitar without a tremolo and that's exactly what this is.

I play a variety of music, but predominantly progressive metal and math rock. However, I bought this guitar over 5 years ago, and at the time I played more thrash metal. This definitely suits the thrash metal style very well and the bridge humbucker is pretty solid for that. It cuts nicely and has decent definition for some aggressive riffing. The neck pickup isn't bad for cleans, but I felt it could get pretty muddy for solos with gain. The middle position actually gets some pretty cool clean tones too, and the guitar is surprisingly diverse overall. Both pickups could stand to be a little bit clearer, but for the price it sounds good.

I think I got fairly lucky with this one, because the fit and finish was surprisingly good from the factory. None of the fret ends were sharp, the nut was cut adequately, and the tuners were solid. The particular guitar I purchased had only been out of the factory for about a month when I got it, so it was in pretty good shape. The only negative here is that my tone knob is sort of loose, but I honestly can't remember if it came like that or if I screwed it up. The pot isn't loose, just the knob itself so it doesn't really bother me.

I used to beat the literal crap out of this guitar at practices and shows and it is still going strong as ever. The strap buttons are still solid, all the hardware is strong, and I've even started rusting out parts of the bridge pickup with my sweat and its showing no signs of slowing down. However, I did manage to snap off the entire bottom of one of the wings on this guitar and chip the paint in a couple spots. But I don't know if I can hold my teenage stupidity against the guitar.

Basically - Hardware and pickups: durable. Basswood: less durable

For the money, it'd be pretty hard to find a guitar that is more fun to play than this. I don't know if its neck, or the extra jumbo frets, but this thing is a little shred machine. I don't play this guitar as much anymore, because I've acquired higher end guitars, but I still come back to this one every now and then. If this guitar was stolen I'm not sure I'd buy another one, but that's simply because I got this guitar when I was 13 years old and by now I've realized V's are not my thing. I would definitely look into another LTD with extra jumbo frets though. But for the money, you can't go wrong with a guitar this easy to play.

garshasp88
    Would it be a good guitar for a beginner who plays melodic death and black metal? And i play lead.