LTD V-500 review by ESP

ESP: LTD V-500

Purchased from: Mean Axe Music

This guitar has an awesome sound for stuff like metal and hard rock, but for slower stuff not the greatest but still pretty good, but if you play slow stuff you going look weird playing on a Flying V guitar. I like mostly Megadeth. And this suits the genre perfectly since Dave Mustaine played the exact same guitar. It has a god sound, I have no altered it in any way, other than taking off the volume, tone and toggle to take off the plastic on the pick guard. And to fit the loose volume knobs. I have only had this guitar for a few days so I haven't tried it out with my amp a whole lot. The sound without an amp is a rich bright sound.

I play mostly metal, and rock stuff, so it suits me perfectly. I have only been playing for about a year to year and a half now, and own 2 others, one old small acoustic, and a Typhoon bass. The thing that is fustrating about this guitar, is that there are only about 2, maybe 3 cases out there that can fit it. Since the body is so long. overall I love this guitar, and wish I would have bought it along time ago. When I was looking t other guitars I was looking at the EC-1000 and an Epiphone Les Paul Custom. I chose this one because it is what I have wanted for the longest time, and suits me best.

This guitar is tough, and made to last. I admit I have hit the ends off a few things here and there and no marks. Them controls have to be taken off with an allen key(included with guitar) so they wont fall off from just moving around. The strap buttons are solid, but the strap guard got for this wont fit around the buttons so I have to get new ones are a strap that has it built in. If I were in a gig I would defiantly use back up just because I love this guitar so much.

When I got this guitar is was near perfect, only thing I had to fix was the controls. They were loose so I had to tighten them back up. The pick ups are fine for now, may need adjusting in a little bit but good for now. Everything on it works great and nothing wrong with it at all. The only thing I am annoyed with is that when you play it you get marks all over it from you hand moving, but that is non avoidable.

The V-500 has a set-thru neck that is made from 3 piece maple and rosewood, and is a 25.5" scale with white binding are dot inlays (other than the V-500 in the 12th fret). The body is made from mahogany. The bridge is is a tune-o-matic, and has string-thru body. The V-500 has a black pick guard, that doesn't really help with protecting the body. It wouldn't really be noticeable it they didn't put the white outline on the bottom of it. The pick guard is where the; volume, volume, toggle, and tone(nickel black) are located. The pickups are a pair of EMG 81 actives. The tuners a Grovers(nickel black as well).