LTD Viper-100 FM review by ESP

ESP: LTD Viper-100 FM

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

I play a general metalcore, nu-metal, and a small amount of 80's hard rock on the side. This guitar suit's it perfect- I get exactly what I want out of it. I only use a Fender 15 watt Frontman 15R, but I've played on bigger amps and through multiple pedals and this guitar does not disappoint. Probably not the best guitar you could buy, but for this price, I would buy anything over it. A pickup change could probably do someone a good deal, but the ESP's it comes with do a fine job for me.

This guitar is worth buying, No Doubt. I bought it for the major distortion handling that I heard it had, and I got just that. It will suit someone who plays things from GnR to Metallica, and then even to Killswitch Engage with the right distortion. If I had to pick something to change about this guitar, it would be the pickups. Other then that, the feel and sound are good.

I have never had any problems with this guitar. I've taken it on the road with me, I've put it through some serious playing sessions, and I don't even have a case for it. This body feels solid, and it most defintely is. Maybe if you burn it the finish will be ruined, but I don't intend to do so.

This guitar was ready to go as soon as I got it. The finish was shiney and still is, and everything was perfectly alligned. I did look at my friend's Viper-100 a few days ago, and the pickups were alligned differently, but mine were fine. The bridge, nut, finish, pickups, you name it, were all good. Ten out of ten from me.

This ESP has a sleek, black with tiger stripes finish. It has a 24-fret maple neck, that is decently thin enough to move around freely and quickly. The body is a sicker looking Gibson SG, with a bit of a slant. This body has a good look to it, and even though it only comes in black, I don't think it could look better in any other color. It has a two control knobs, one for volume and another for tone control, as well as a 3-way pickup selector. The pickups are ESP made, so I wouldn't call them the best, but they definetly get the job done. Like most ESP's, they give you that amazing sound over distortion for heavier genres.