LTD Viper-300 review by ESP

ESP: LTD Viper-300

Purchased from: Axe Music

The sound that I can get out of this guitar suits my style of playing perfectly. I play blues and rock. If you're looking for a metal guitar though, this is not the guitar for you. It's not quite beefy enough. If I'm playing with a little less distortion though, the sound I can get out of this guitar is almost as good as a Les Paul. It kind of has a lot of midrange, so nomatter what your amp settings are, you're going to get a full sound. It's also very good for not creating a lot of "White Noise". I can crank up the volume on my amp with this guitar, with no sound gate, and you wouldn't know it until I started playing.

Overall, this guitar is my favorite one to play. It has a nice, solid sound, and it's a little older than my other guitars so it sounds better. It's the only guitar I ever even dream of bringing into the studio because it's the best guitar I have. I think that if it were stolen though, I wouldn't buy another, because it has such an individual sound. I've gone through probably every Viper I've ever seen, and they just don't sound the same. I guess it would be like getting dumped by a good girlfriend. Yeah, you can get another one, but they just won't be the same. It's definitely that kind of guitar. It takes on the personality of it's owner, and that's what's so great about it.

Although I would not play a gig without a backup (for fear of strings breaking) I would definitely use it as my number one guitar. Everything seems to be fairly solid, and there isn't a whole lot for wear and tear. So far everything is in good shape (even after putting a couple of holes in the wall with it's headstock), and it will probably last me for many years to come.

The factory set up of this guitar was not, in my opinion, done very well. It had poor action, a loose bridge, and loose tunning pegs, but after giving it a little TLC, it was fine. I've been able to lower the travel and tighten everything. I actually flipped the whole bridge so that it was backwards, and is seems to give me even lower action, so that was a bonus. The only problem with the hardware though is that the unput jack keeps comming loose, and I have to keep a wrench with me to tighten it every couple of days.

This Korean guitar that was bought in 2000 is the most solid guitar I have ever played. It's rosewood neck has 24 frets, and the fastest action that I have ever played. It is aslo probably the heaviest guitar I've ever played too. It has a solid mahogany body, and it has a transparent rose finish. It almost looks like a Gibson SG, but it's a little bit longer. This guitar comes standard with two EMG-HZ humbucking pickups and it has a 3-way switch. Unfortuanately, there are only two control knobs (volume, and tone) but most guitars do anyway. It also has a fixed, Tune-O-Matic bridge and none locking tuners.