LTD Viper-50 review by ESP

ESP: LTD Viper-50

Purchased from: Academey of Sound

I play mainly Heavy Metal and Rock, mostle songs by Iron Maiden, Metallica, AC/DC and other simmilar bands. It will play these songs very well but without a decent set-up or higher end pickups it may struggle on harmonics. Through certain amps it will be very buzzy like through my guitar teachers JVM. I use a Spider iii for practising and a DSL Halfstack for gigging and it plays through them very well. It is a very warm sounding guitar however has a great range of versataltity from great cleans to very harsh grinding distortion.

This guitar is ideal for any people starting to play metal or rock and I have used it for the 2 and a half years I've been playing. I wished before I had bought it however that I had known about Floyd Rose trems or else I would have bout the V or Horison. If this guitar was ever stolen I would definately buy a viper again but probably a more expensive model. Its best feature is that it is a superb version of a metal SG and would recommend it to anyone wanting a G-400 or a Vintage SG. If I knew anyone who could do it I would definately have it routed just for a FR as SGs are awesome.

This guitar is very resillient, I have knocked it picking it up and it has not dented or chipped and tuners are very sturdy for stock parts. The strap buttons are very tight and the strap has never fallen off apart from when I first tried to put it on. I would still not go live without a backup because of string breakages and I need another for drop d tunings anyway.

The viper was not set-up from the box and was way out of tune and took a while to have it ready to play. The pickups were about mid height and needed to be as high as possible to get near to decent harmonics. For a bolt on neck it had a lot of sustain. The only flaws I have with this guitar is how quick the bridge has turned Orange from playing it but otherwise this guitar is brilliant

My guitar personally was built in 2007 in Indonesia and was a special guitar with a matching colour headstock instead of the usual black LTD headstock. It had: 24 jumbo frets ESP Lh-150 Humbuckers H/H configuration TOM bridge 1 volume and tone pot Solid Top in Black Cherry Red ESP Tuners. I had this guitar in part of a deal and got a whirlwind cable and case for 35 altogether.