LTD Xtone PC-2-12 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/12/2014 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD Xtone PC-2-12
It's a very clean, yet powerful guitar. Acoustically, it is a very loud, yet very bright and clean sounding guitar. It can go through time very easily and play The Beatles, fast forward and play the Eagles and forward again to modern rock tunes.
 9.3
 9.8
 8.7
 5,082
review (1) pictures (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
LTD Xtone PC-2-12 Reviewed by: avengelus, on november 12, 2014

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: Made in 2012 in Indonesia. It has a 22 fret, 24.75" scale Maple neck, bound to a Mahogany semi-hollow body. The neck is a c-shape and has a beefy feel to it, strongly built for a 12 string guitar. It's very comfortable, very playable. The guitar has a beautiful pearl white finish, no visible flaws or blemishes. The body is a hybrid Les Paul, ES series. but with the ESP twist to it. It tends to be neck heavy, since it's a semi-hollow. But it IS a comfortable guitar. The bridge is a Tune-O-Matic with 6, 2 string saddles. Passive Seymour Duncan APH-1B/N pickups with a 3 way switch and 2 volume, 2 tone controls. Grover tuners are very stable and precise. No case or gig bag included for the price, but once you pick it up, you realize the value of the guitar. So you don't really mind that fact. // 10

Sound: I mostly play '80s rock and a lot of latin pop rock covers, like Mana and Enanitos Verdes. It suits the 12-string parts for the songs beautifully. I run it through a Line 6 Spider 75. Very nice, very clean signal reaching the amp. I little muddy on the neck pick up, but it may be my fault, since I haven't really gotten the settings for her done. But as far as clean sounds go, it's a very clean, yet powerful guitar. Acoustically, it is a very loud, yet very bright and clean sounding guitar. It can go through time very easily and play The Beatles, fast forward and play the Eagles and forward again to modern rock tunes. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up was spot on for me, right out of the box. The action is very low, buzz free. The guitar comes with a set of Clear Tone strings installed from the factory, and they arrived in a flawless condition. No need to replace them. Intonation is perfect. I tried the "Hotel California" intro and it sounded awesome. So no need to have it set up for now. Pickups are very well placed, no adjustments needed. Top is perfectly matched, and the bridge is perfectly aligned to the neck. The pickguard and Truss rod cover are very well painted. No flaws whatsoever as far as I'm concerned. Everything about her feels perfect to me. Just like a $900+ guitar should feel like right out of the box. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a very solidly built guitar and the hardware looks to be of a very high quality. Can't give a full verdict yet, since it's still new. But I wouldn't expect any less from this brand. Even if LTD is basically the "lower end" of the ESP brand, all my LTD's are very solidly built and of a very high quality. The strap buttons are solid and very stable. Very dependable. The finish is very well applied, and looks like it is pretty tough. I wouldn't want to scratch it, though. Too beautiful to mess her up. // 10

Overall Impression: For my music style, it's a great addition to my arsenal. Gives me a wider range of sounds for my style. I have played guitar and other stringed instruments for the last 30 years. Aside from this guitar, I own a LTD MH-400NT and a Xtone XAC-30 electric acoustic. I have no regrets about my purchase. I love it completely. If it were stolen, I would hunt the thief down and wrap each string around his neck! (not really, but I would be pissed to hell and back!) Love the finish and the tone. I shopped a bit, and found other 12-strings like the LTD XJ-12 and the LTD TL-12 (yeah, I'm biased to ESP!). But I also checked instruments from Dean and Ibanez. But the PC-2-12 just caught my eye completely and utterly. I was lucky to find it in Musician's Friend as a level 1 used, which means the condition was mint. And it really was. No regrets there either. Anything I wish it had? Maybe a case or a nice, tough gig bag. But like I said, the quality of the instrument justifies completely the price and the fact that it didn't include anything else. // 10

Comments