M-I Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

ESP: M-I
 8.3
 8.4
 8.2
 2,056
review (1) pictures (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
M-I Reviewed by: digitalox, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: MusiciansFriend

Features: I bought this a year or so back as a new scratch-n-dent during one of the sales from MF. Not sure what year it was made. Alder Body and 24 jumbo frets on an ebony fretboard/Maple Neck. One EMG 81 and one volume knob. Magnum locking tuners. Very nicely carved heel for easy access up high. Bone nut and a Tune-O-Matic (no dive bombs here). For the (list) price there may not be a lot features here, but they haven't skimped on the ones that are here and this is a very well built guitar. // 8

Sound: This guitars sounds great with metal, rock, hard blues. I play it through a Fender Super Champ with an assortment of pedals (many BYOC). Its pretty bright on the highs, and quiet when not played. I have since installed an EMG 89X for a little more versatility. Drilled an extra hole and put a tone knob in. It still rocks. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was ok. I had it lowered a bit and am using 9-46 set on it now I think. It is a joy to play. I love the ebony fretboard and it just has a very "precise" feel to it none of my other guitars have. The finish on the fretboard has a somewhat milky color to it. Maybe this was why it was a scratch n dent. I never did find anything wrong it except for a few light scratches on the back, which I may have done myself while trying it out. I had it checked out and set up at the guitar shop and they didn't see anything wrong. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have brought this to lessons, played out with friends, and did one short gig, but I don't really play live yet. I'm sure it would handle it, it seems very solid. I try to take care of them but I do not baby my guitars. I breaks lot of stuff and it has survived thus far... // 8

Overall Impression: I play a wide variety of music and it can hang with many of them. It is significantly less versatile with the stock EMG 81, but the 89X opens up the options more. I have been playing for a number of years but really only started taking it seriously a year or so ago. I have a Godin Summit CT, MM Sub 1, and PRS SE 22 fret custom. From a tactile standpoint this one is probably my favorite. I love the neck and playability the most. Soundwise it holds it own or beats the others. The only thing I hate is the tuners. They stay in tune and do the job but they're a pain in the ass to string up. // 9

Comments