M-II review by ESP

ESP: M-II

Price paid: $ 1900

Purchased from: B Music

This guitar was made to be thrashed and it kills! Perfect for playing metal styles of all kinds due to the dual 81s. Perfect for those trying to get a Metallica sound without the Kirk Hammett price of his signature guitar! Like I said, cleans weren't too good with 81s, but with the JB/59, I expect better cleans. Being an alder body, having Duncan pickups would give you a better sound and it works with the wood to give a unique sound. Have 81s does work with the wood but however you hear a slight distortion on cleans.

This is a perfect match for what I play! If it was stolen I probably would get enough money to buy another one, this one kills! Playing with a Boss GT-8. You can get all kinds of good sounds, plug it into a Marshall or Mesa/Boogie and you've got it made!

Yeah obviously! It's ESP! I would use a bakcup guitar always just in case anything goes wrong but it will withstand live playing!

Action was perfect, din't need to touch it until I changed to a higher gauge. Factory gauge that it came with was 9 to 42. Whereas I'm using 10 to 52. So there was some work to be done. ESP have done it again with their neatly soldered electronics. Everything was in perfect condition. Strap pins were secure, although I changed it to DiMarzio locking strap. So far so good, I've had this for 6 months and hasn't had any problems to parts what so ever.

This is the Standard ESP M-2 series. There's the one in balck and the one in camo colour. Basically this is the gutiar that Jeff Hanneman and Kirk Hammett has except for a few differences. OK the one that I got it's black. All alder body, maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. 24 jumbo frets, there's a choice of neck-thru body or bolt-on. Black hardware. The body shape is a Strat type with a original floyd rose. Choice of either Seymour Duncan JB/59 pickups or Dual 81s, both is good for metal to rock kinds of genres, however the dual 81s aren't too hot for cleans. Simple controls, a 3-way pickup selector Switch and a volume knob. Gotoh tuners with a locking nut. Incl was a free hard case.

the_addict
    GunLeatherGuy
    You can drop tune any damn thing you want....floyd, wilkinson...vintage trem. You just have to retune the rest of the stings...and it can be a pain in the ass. But you can drop anything you want. Ive got this...but its the Mii deluxe from 96....excellent guitar. Rock and roll.....
    shayanmunshi
    guys would m2 bolt-on be a better choice or the neck-thru. btw would the neckthru be in any way more prone to weather conditions.Its pretty hot here in India.
    Dark_Iran
    m2 custom is very very number 1 i buy this guitar at this week. i am very very happey for it
    shayanmunshi
    guys i have ordered for a ESP M2 duncan. should i ask for the emg ? i play lamb of god, metallica, some progressive metal stuff. Also which wood is better maple or rosewood. hurry guys i dun hv time .
    squirttilithurt
    I have used ESP M-IIs for years (bolt-on and neck-thru). They are great guitars. I do wish they had a standard model with a 14-16 inch fretboard radius though.
    shayanmunshi
    should I get a used m2 from eBay or a schecter hellraiser c1fr? urgently require a guitar
    GunLeatherGuy
    Any you cant put a Dtuna on it because the floyd is recessed into the body. Only the top mounted floyds can have the Dtuna...like a Charvel San Dimas and such.. Its a nice trick when they work..... Rock and roll.
    jtbull
    these are great. I played and almost bought one, but for the money the korean ltds sound just as good in my opinion and if you get get the m11 ltd clone from the 1990s you basically have the same guitar.
    pbman
    seymore dunc's are the better choice for this guitar unless u play 100%metal i find i can get drop D tuning with just the fine tuners, wouldnt want to fart about with drop C though too much hassle with adjusting the springs for just a few sonegs plays like a beaut, maple fretboard ftw, soo smooth and fast
    jayeshrc
    the_addict wrote: DeathByStereo23 wrote: of course it can handle a drop C tuning,but if you have the floyd rose you must calibrate it after re-tuning you have to get that evh accessory for drop tuning. you cannot drop tune a floyd without it. I've many times without it and failed.
    you suck or dont know how to tune if thats the case.
    flakelorenz
    Yeah low end guitars for the lose, I learnt my lesson when buying a cheap Epiphone 100 because it was a real bargin
    pikey_no1
    This guitar rules, straight out. If you're not used to the FR, don't get this. I'm not, but I'd still get it. This guitar is too good to miss out on
    DeathByStereo23
    Minivirus2
    Just picked up a "like new" M-II NTB model this week. I think I'm in love. First time I've owned a Floyd and I'm questioning why I ever hesitated to buy one in the past. Love the neck to death, although (and I'm not sure this wasn't becuase of the previous owners care) I've had to do some adjusting of the FR and it still seems to be a bit off when it comes to staying in tune. Might just need a new set of stings (O.O my daunting first experience with changing stringing on a Floyd).