SV Standard review by ESP

ESP: SV Standard

I play mostly metal, so this guitar suits it to a tee. It has a very full sound when distorted and a lovely clean tone without. I use a Behringer 120 watt with it and a DigiTech Death Metal pedal, which gives it an amazing metal tone. The guitar itself is capable of many different techniques thanks to the whammy bar and the extremely thin neck.

The overall impression is 10/10. Best guitar I've ever played. ESP have the greatest looking and sounding collection of guitars that I have ever heard. The EMG's give it a sexy tone with awesome harmonics! I think for a fan of metal, this is the guitar for me, and if you wanna risk not getting any presents for the next 10 years, it's the guitar for you too!

The guitar would be able to last a lot! I've bumped it off of things and the worst that's happened is I've hurt myself. All of the hardware seems as though it's gonna last a very long time. Not being in a band myself I wouldn't be able to tell you if it would last at a gig, but I'm gonna hazard a guess at yes, it would! And it would probably be the best guitar there!

When I first got the guitar it was in perfect condition, no visible flaws, if any at all. One main concern was that when I pull the whammy bar up to create an inverted dip, sometimes a string would snap off at the base of the guitar, but this has since stopped. The action of the guitar is a tad too high as well, but I'm blaming this on down tuning, and the fact that I can't be bothered re-adjusting the bridge.

- Body: Alder - Neck: Maple (Thru) - Fingerboard: Ebony with White binding - Scale: 25.5" - Tuners: Deluxe Gotoh (Locking) - Bridge: Original Floyd Rose - Frets: 24 / XJ - Neck pickup: EMG81 - Bridge pickup: EMG81 - Controls: 1 Volume , 3-way toggle switch - Case included.

Shinozoku
    richard_edwards wrote: and what? alder body and maple neck? thats what my 300 quid ($600) telecasters made of! so basically, whack on a floyd and a couple of EMG's and it'd sound the same as this. right then.
    Actually, Mr. Dumbass, no. This guitar has better sustain (thanks to the thru-body neck and ebony fingerboard) and a brighter sound (also thanks to the thru-body maple neck and ebony fingerboard) than a Tele with EMGs and a Floyd would have. Also, it has like, 2 or 3 more frets than a Telecaster with superior acces to the upper ones. And looks a helluva lot meaner, too.
    pikey_no1
    Don't forget, its not just what wood it is - its the quality of wood. You probably have some tacky wood for your telecaster, while the ESP probably uses stupidly high quality wood for the best tone it can give.
    Psycho_McFool
    korn klown 14 wrote: whats the scale 25.5 mean?
    a 25.5 inch scale length basically has more string tension than the standard 24.75 inch scale length, which makes it good for drop tunings and stuff. This guitar is really excellent, it is MY dream gutiar.
    E V H 5150 wrote: I'd go for a Randy Rhoads before this.
    A lot of people would disagree. The Jackson RR1 costs a ****load more, but doesn't have Active pickups or a natural neck, and has 22 frets instead of 24. Aside from that, it's exactly the same. But it's your call, matey. For me, this is the best guitar i could ask for. It has EVERYTHING I want, except Sperzel Locking Tuners, and they're $200 away . This model is seriously one of the best ESP Standard Series models out, if not THE best.
    Erlend Johan wrote: I'm buying this beauty! (When i can afford it).
    Ditto mate.
    MrDURPEEDURP wrote: alexi Laiho's sig needs a REALLY good amp to put it through if your looking for a heavy distortion or just good distortion at all. He uses a passive EMG (which totally sucks unless it is put through a high quality distortion pedal/channel) so yeah... i just wonder why this has two of the same pup....wheres the mix up in that?
    Alexi Recently had his MM04 gain booster installed in his Japanese signature guitars. It gives a boost to the signal, so the tone's a lot heavier. The EMG 81 in both positions is really good for alder bodies I suppose. Having a look at my wage, I'm prolly gonna get this around sometime next year. Well worth the wait, I reckon.
    TimmerGuitarMan
    Psycho_McFool wrote: how do u delete comments plz? posted some stuff twice -blushes-
    Thanks for your comment, even if you posted twice! Heheh! And if you search Alexi Laiho on wikipedia you can find all of his guitars, I think he may have a few more than you said (inc. Edwards etc)
    dudeweresmypick wrote: how would someone be able to get this in the states?
    And if you wanna order this from Germany, you can If not there are plenty of Laiho models available in the US
    flakelorenz
    You need to play an ESP... Alot of LTD models are almost exactly the same as the ESP' but the ESPs are like 200+ more expensive and thats because of crafmanship quality control and the types of wood. It has literaly the best money can buy so it sound way better than the lesser models or any other lesser guitar
    calypso101
    actually alexi recently switched to the blackouts made by seymour duncan
    Psycho_McFool
    There isn't an LTD model of this guitar, unless u go to finland, and get one of them MMVs, but its still not the same. Closest u can get to an LTD model is if you get an LTD Alexi 600 and whack an EMG 81 in the bridge and a battery pack in the electronics cavity
    Psycho_McFool
    metaldier wrote: I owned this at one point but I was extrmely unhappy. The tone I was getting was not full. I blame the pickups though. I changed the battery numerous times but it sounded as though the volume was on 1/4. hm.. great neck though lol
    You weren't putting the lead all the way into the input jack. I had the same problem with a Jackson RR24 until one of the staff helped me out.
    TimmerGuitarMan
    If you were using active pick ups then the battery had probably worn down.
    kdaviper
    pickups placed at the neck produce a more tinny sound; pickups at the bridge are more mellow. It doesnt matter that they're not different models, thats why people even bother with choosing where to put a pickup (do you ever see a guitar with a pickup just in the middle?).
    Gacel
    im going to buy this guitar very soon, with a ENGL Fireball amp, I also have a Digitech Death Metal pedal and a BOSS Hyper Metal HM-3 pedal too, but I guess I dont need those distortion pedals anymore? :o
    bfmvatreyurox16
    Can i ask why Rv shapes bodies are always made of alder? is it because of the shape or what, cause i really like mahogany* and isnt better than alder? thanks!
    Pat_s1t
    Where could I get one of these? I can't find a Canadian based store that sells them anywhere.
    musthaphawang
    its not because of the shape its that mahogany is a heavy bastard of a wood and alders pretty much da same tone wise except a bit lighter dats why not make it lighter not because of the shape
    go to thomann its a german place dats cheap enough but shiping will cost you about $200 i did something like dat and dats how much it cost for shipping thomann are a good place too ordered one from there no problems like
    Tordyboi
    Psycho_McFool
    Tordyboi wrote: I have this guitar, and im planing on buying a Eclipse guitar. only thing that stops me is because of the neck. I want it to feel like the SV (thin) Does anyone know if the neck on EC is anything like the Sv's?
    Neck dimensions are the same, the only difference is the Eclipse necks are finished.
    novaglam
    Well if theres any u.k or EURO buyers intrested in this guitar, im selling my one, its brand new and lived in its case all life- i dont play this sort of music now and into my telecasters so im selling at a great price and might knock off a bit more compared to retail price- go to link for details, http://www.gumtree.com/london/32/7062213...
    Saeda
    I'm currently thinking of buying an ESP SV Standard, more precisely the FM Model in See Through Black Cherry Satin Burst. I'll also have them add a second Humbucker in the Neck Position. Anyone got any experience with that specific Model?
    Psycho_McFool
    korn klown 14 wrote: whats the scale 25.5 mean?
    a 25.5 inch scale provides more string tension that the standard 24/75 inch scale. this makes it good for dropped tunings. This is quite literally THE perfect Metal guitar.
    E V H 5150 wrote: I'd go for a Randy Rhoads before this.
    A Jackson RR1 Rhoads (the best of the Rhoads Series) costs a ****load more, it's EXACTLY the same, apart from a painted neck and the exclusion of 2 frets. This is also one of (if not THE) best Standard Series guitars ESP makes. The Jackson Rhoads is an excellent guitar, but it can't hold a candle to this.
    richard_edwards wrote: and alexi laiho has more than one esp guitar model methinks. correct me if im wrong.
    He has the following Models: ESP Alexi Laiho Signature Sawtooth ESP Alexi Laiho Signature Scythe ESP Alexi Laiho Signature Arrowhead ESP Alexi Laiho Signature USA ESP Alexi Laiho Custom Shop Sawtooth (Luminous Stripe & Inlays) ESP Alexi Laiho Custom Shop Scythe ESP Alexi Laiho Custom Shop Arrowhead ESP Alexi Laiho Custom Shop USA ESP Alexi Laiho Custom Shop Pink Sawtooth LTD Alexi 600 LTD Alexi 600 Special Edition Pink LTD Alexi 200 All are made in Japan except for the USA models (don't really have to say where these are made) and the LTDs, which are made in Korea. And the difference between the Signatures & Custom Shop models is that the Custom Shop are built by the best ESP luthiers, and that basically means they're GOOD. Also means they're more expensive. Damn, this took ages to type
    metaldier
    Demonikk
    There are the ESP and LTD versions available, and I think there are about 3 or 4 different models of the same guitar at different prices. His guitars also come in a couple of different paintjobs
    Kikuta
    Who the hell are the silly ****s that forced this to a user rating of 2? Have any of you ever PLAYED one of these guitars? They are ****ing excellent!
    kevdawg
    the user rating isn't 2 you fool. the user rating is 8. the comments are 2 not the rating.
    jeowy
    at the time of his posting that comment, the rating was 2. probably some retard gave it a 0.
    PiratoPatatoe
    add666 wrote: isnt that the alexi laiho model???
    No the Alexi laiho model only has 1 bridge pick-up.
    stephen_rettie
    ^which is why i wont buy it love the laiho model but 1 pickup=not good enough lol might give thia a look tho
    richard_edwards
    ach, no. not the death metal pedal! so tinny! go for the electro-harmonics metal muff. much better, and more tonal tweakage. and alexi laiho has more than one esp guitar model methinks. correct me if im wrong.
    jumpmanhat
    this thing is much cooler than Alexi's a guitar with out a neck pup, is like a car with no wheels.... not really but, you no what i mean
    SeventhSkull
    it better be able to be purchased in the US (hence canada), i want this guitar. its a beaut, just need to left handed...
    TheCarl88
    Yeah I agree that the wood quality and the bridge obviously make it a better pick over that dudes tele, but as far as pickups go you put active emg's in anything and it will almost sound exactly the same regardless of wood based on the fact that active pickups have their own preamp. Basically the pickups do all the work tone wise making the type of wood redundant for sound. The better wood would equate to a more reliable guitar and the ebony a much smoother feeling fingerboard.
    MrDURPEEDURP