SV Standard review by ESP

ESP: SV Standard

Purchased from: Kosmic Sound

This guitar dishes out an excellent metal tone when put through a DigiTech Death Metal into a 12 watt Practice Amp. What it sounds like through a Randall RH300G3 (my amplification goal) I can only imagine. A chunky rhythm tone reminiscent of DevilDriver barraged my ears as well as my neighbours'. The palm mutes literally shook my bedroom walls. This guitar absolutely wails when I play leads, and this is without wah. Harmonics really scream with the EMG 81s and a Floyd Rose bridge allows awesome Dimebag squeals. However, the clean tone of the bridge EMG 81 isn't the cleanest. It had the slightest bit of overdrive to it, but it sounds excellent when put through a slow flanger effect. The neck pickup puts out the most amazingly serene cleans. A little bit of reverb and it would sound positively lush.

As a young death metal/progressive metal/neoclassical lead guitarist, this guitar is my perfect partner in crime. I've only been playing for almost 2 years, but I know that I'll keep this guitar until the day I die. If this guitar was lost or stolen, I would definitely buy another one. The Floyd Rose really adds to my creativity, and the tone put out by this guitar is excellent. I've played Jackson RR1s and RR24s before, but this takes the cake. A definite must have for all extreme metal lead guitarists.

This guitar would stand out on stage like Shaquile O'Neil among a crowd of Albino midgets. It's incredibly lightweight, but it has handled anything & everything I've done and Still Remains perfect. The only thing I would worry about is string breakage, and that happens to everyone. The finish could stay on forever, it's great!

I got Kosmic to set up the Floyd Rose with 10-52 Strings tuned to D Standard (low to high: D, G, C, F, A, D). The action was perfect, I found myself playing the SV with absolute comfort. The pickups were just the right height for me to do crazy pitch bending with the Floyd Rose. The locking nut kept perfect tuning very well. I'm currently debating whether or not to Switch the Gotoh Machine Heads with Locking Sperzels.