Truckster review by ESP

ESP: Truckster

Price paid: € 1300

Purchased from: ESP Depot

Sounds amazing. Its James Hetfield' s sig guitar, its made for metal, and i m pretty sure when i get the EMG 60 in, that it can do cleans and bluesy stuff with ease. Overall the guitar sounds EPIC. I used to bash EMGs in cheap guitars, or alder guitars (they are TOO bright in my humble opinion), but in a solid chunk of mahogany, they sound pretty damn good. Not noisy at all, VERY full, as opposed to EMGs in brighter sounding guitars. Might consider doing the 18v mod, and adding a killswitch to the unused switch.

The guitar is perfect for the music I play. Compared to other guitars I've owned, it is by far the best. I've had Japanese Jacksons, an LTD, a Dean custom, and a USA Carvin custom, and this guitar smokes them, for the music I'm interested in. If it was stolen, I d probably never find such a good deal on it again :D. BUT, I d still definitely go for another ESP, since I'm now convinced, that they make amazing guitars.

As stated above, guitar is flawless. Fixed bridge, so no worries about string breakage during a show... Schaller straplocks, meant to last. No dropping this guitar. I would gig without a backup, but I d play in different tunings, so I d want more than one guitar around.

Action was flawless, even after sitting in its case for 5 years. Neck needed an 1/8th of a turn on the truss rod, to get the neck just at the right angle that I like it. Pickups were well adjusted, the EMG 85 had to go a bit lower for my tastes, but like I said, I dislike this pickup, so it doesn't really matter what I think of it... The guitar has absolutely no construction flaws, I get why this guitar costs around $2000 new.

Made in 2005, Japan. Been in an ESP depot/collector for 5 years, unplayed, plastic coverings were still on the pickups, knobs etc. The Truckster has 22 jumbo frets, over a 24.75inch rosewood fretboard. The whole guitar is Les Paul shaped, solid mahogany (neck and body), and I think there's some maple top under all the matte finish. Speaking of finish, its a regular black ESP eclipse, with the matte (gray) painted over it, and sanded down at specific places to expose the white red and black normal finish, that lies under the gray matte primer. The bridge, a Tonepros TOM bridge, with a stoptail piece. Awesome quality parts. This guitar normally comes with an EMG 81/60 set, but this one had a EMG 81/85 set. I suspect someone swapped out the 60 for an 85. I hate the sound of the 85 so I ll be switching it back shortly. there's a vol knob for each pickup, and a master tone knob. There are 2 switches on the guitar, one, the lower one, controls pickup selection. The other, near the neck, on top, does nothing, just like James Hetfield' s very own guitar. The tuners are Sperzel locking tuners. Not much to be said. They re known for being awesome, and Mega stable. The guitar came with a ESP custom shop case, pretty sturdy, and looks nice. This guitar only gets a 9 here for the 85 EMG, which is soon to become a 10, since I ll be switching out the 85 for a 60.

bustapr
    P-Bass Pirate
    Gallardo147 wrote: this guitar is brand new on ebay for $750
    Yeah, the LTD model. The real ESP costs quite a lot more.
    jeffmetalhead
    Linkerman wrote: jeffmetalhead wrote: To Linkerman http://myworld.ebay.com.au/meestursparkl... there 's an ESP Iron Cross for sale here and i've also seen the Truckster for sale here also if your interested. Thank you very much for the link! But i'm not looking to buy one (at least not yet), i just wanted to try one, see how it feels, how different it is from a [read "another"] mass production Eclipse.
    No problem
    guitar-girl21
    Love james hetfield and metallica, but I just don't like the paint job on this.Especially for the price. I'm sure it's a great guitar, i just wish they had one without the ''vintage- worn'' appearance. That being said, metallica rules. (:
    espplayer400
    Hells.Mascot wrote: This is a dumb guitar.
    Looks and sounds smarter than you do right now.
    georgakis187
    Well coming from me, the reviewer. I played an ESP eclipse II in VB before buying the truckster. Also played a les paul 50s neck before that. What i have to say: The Les paul is smoked by both ESPs, no doubt about it. They cost a it more new, but in the used market they all float around 1000-1400Eur. Now comparing the two ESPs, the eclipse looked prettier (black and gold hardware) but was WAAAY lighter, frets were shittier (not as big and comfy), and even after a pro set up, it BUZZED like ****. Might have been a lemon... I then played the LTD version of the truckster, and even that was superior to the "lemon" i played. I have to say, i bought this ESP at a train station, just checked if it were better than the Eclipse. Didint even get to play it on an amp. Also, compared to a normal eclipse, this guitar has a few better things. A tonepros locking bridge instead of the GOTOH (the gold gotoh on the VB eclipse was FUCKING FADED in at was only a 2008 model). The toneprobs bridge on my truckster is from 2005. Still flawless. Also on the truckster you get sperzel locking tuners, which are miles ahead of gotoh magnum locks. The workmanship is better, the action was better, and the finish IS ****ing brilliant. You just have to see it up close.... ALL this ^ i got for 1300eur, when i could ve gotten an eclipse for 1150-1200Eur. 100 more for better bridge, better tuners, better action, better workmanship, AND a sig guitar who;s values is ONLY going to go up with the years.
    robbit
    You're better off just getting the regular ESP Eclipse II. It is a better guitar than this and much better than the Les Paul. And looks better. I own two, and let me tell you, they are fine fine fine.
    rockgodman
    Well to jean-genie, alot of that has to do with age. How long have those companies been around? Old gibsons obviously go for more because certain ones are much rarer and have been long discontinued. Gibsons have had a much longer time to make a "name" for themselves so you are often paying for the name even though they are older guitars. Schecter and esp i think both didnt start mass producing until after the 1980s and ibanez probably not long before that so obviously someone would pay more for something vintage than something that you can technically buy the newer model of.
    jean_genie
    joaonofear wrote: Gibson sell overpriced guitars. There's better and cheaper out there. I would pick up an esp before a gibson any day.
    That's usually what people that can only afford the ESP or have never played 'broken in' versions of either would say, yes. And I'm sure there are a ton of passionate drivers that would rather have a Ford Taurus than a Corvette too. ESPs, and basically any metal guitars other than high-end Ibanez and Jackson or vintage Charvels or Richs always get lower ratings from me on the fact that they do not hold their value well. Unless you're buying it for the cool paintjob, you'd be a fool to buy any ESP, Schecter, or most Ibanez guitars and basses new at the regular price. I see used metal guitars selling for half their original price in shops all the time. I don't think I've ever seen a used Telecaster or Les Paul selling for half the price, unless it was pretty beat up.
    Linkerman
    I've been looking to try one of these for quite a while now... Unfortunately, the music stores around here never had one in stock, nor they ever ordered one (for particular customers). Not surprisingly, this review states what i expected to find on this guitar (but when you're dealing with guitars of this range, when you get surprises, they're usually bad ones :p ). It's nice to see a well-written review here in UG for a change. Kudos to you, sir.
    Disturbdkornkid
    toxicgreen wrote: This is without a doubt the best guitar ever. It sounds great, has a sick paint job, and is played by James Hetttfield from Metallica. What more do you want from a guitar?
    I gotta disagree with the "sick paint job." I fail to see the point of paying 1300 Euros for a guitar that has a faded paint job or something that's like a faded paint job. Other than the paint job I'm sure it's a great guitar.
    hippie_guy
    kodadak wrote: a 9 and 4 10's in the ratings and nobody's started a flame war yet, that's impressive.
    well the guy backed everything with informed argumentation. Sure you can't actually say that a guitar is perfect, but you have to remember that a it is reviewed according to the styles it was designed for and taking the price into consideration.
    toxicgreen
    kodadak
    Linkerman
    The Chauffeur
    word. esp ftw!!!
    joaonofear
    jesse1994
    bustapr wrote: Man, they buttraped you at the ESP Depot. I think the guitar is awesome and all but your definitely overglorifying it. This is basically an ESP Eclipse with a new paintjob, and has the price of any signature guitar. And dont worry, if it was stolen youd be able to find it anywhere new for a much lower price.
    if you think a guitar is just pickups and strings then you are dead wrong. this guitar may have the pickups and exact look of a esp eclipse with a different paint job, but you gotta look at the specs of the neck, the weight of the guitar. when u look at that this guitar is actually quite unique. although i would say get a gibson.