Viper Standard review by ESP

ESP: Viper Standard

Purchased from: Private seller

I play metal/hardcore so this guitar is pretty perfect for that. The active pickups deliver the high gain I need. I play through an Orange Thunderveb 200 head and it is a great combination for a punchy 'chugging' metal sound. The EMG 60 in the neck offers a great lead tone, creamier and darker voiced than the EMG 85. The active EMGs make it virtually noiseless even with very high gain settings. Seems to be a very mid, bassy voiced guitar with the solid mahogany body. This guitar isn't amazingly versatile but it wasn't built for that. It can handle anything from rock/hard rock/punk/hardcore/metal but is obviously not a jazz or softer rock guitar with the active EMG pickups.

If it was stolen I would buy another one if I could get it for the same price. They seem overpriced when buying Brand New, but most gear is in Australia. I own 8 guitars (at the moment) and have probably played thousands. It is one of the best guitars I've ever played and fits the style of music I play perfectly in sound, feel and looks. The only thing I could say I am not extremely happy with is the camo finish since not everyone likes that kind of think. I do believe it is available in black though. Overall it is a great, reliable, well built guitar. I would recommend it to anyone.

This guitar was built for gigging. It is very solid yet light and well balanced. The strap buttons seemed alright but I replaced them with Schaller straplocks as with all my guitars. The hardware is all top quality. The locking tuners give amazing tuning stability and the bridge gives great sustain. I can't see anything on this guitar breaking ever without some major unneccesary abuse. As with everyone who answers this question I would never gig without a backup but in worst case scenario Iwould feel confident playing it without a backup. The only thing I can forsee happening is a string breakage which could be really quickly fixed with the locking tuners. The finish is thick and robust and I can't see it wearing from normal playing.

I bought this guitar second hand so I can't really comment about the factory setup. I can tell you my high E string keeps breaking and the nut needs a little filing to fit the gauge strings I use. Apart from that the guitar is flawless. The action is super low without buzz and easily adjusted anyway.

Made in Japan. Solid mahogany body, mahogany set neck with ebony fretboard and 24 frets. 24.75 scale length. Bone nut, Sperzel locking tuners, Tune-O-Matic bridge with stop tailpiece. Active EMG 81/60 humbucking pickups. 1 vol, 1 tone and a 3-way toggle. Jungle camouflage finish with black hardware.