'62 Jazzmaster review by Fender

Fender: '62 Jazzmaster

I play rock, but for the longest time i've been playing metal. I finally decided to try something new. I run it into a Mesa Boogie Dual Rec, and it surprised the hell out of me when it sounded amazing. The pickups have a warm-smooth tone. It doesn't have the high-end "bite" of a Strat pickup. They actually sound really good with a lot of distortion. It does feedback quite a bit if you let it sit there for a minute. With the rhythm circuit disengaged on the bridge pickup it has a warm mellow sound that is a little more treble-y, almost kind of a subtle twang. Both pickups together back off on the treble but still give a warm sound. The top pickup has a really warm jazzy sound. Good for cleans and chords. With the rhythm circuit engaged it bypasses the bridge pickup so it gives the neck a little more volume and changes the tone which I actually prefer for cleans. When distorted it actually sounds not quite like a single coil, but not quite like a humbucker.

I've always loved Fender guitars, especially the ones with the odd shaped bodies. I've been playing 6 years and I've owned countless guitars, this is the most expensive high-end one I've ever owned. The only guitar I can say I liked just as much (and should have never sold, damn the economy) was a '93 Stratocaster plus. If it where stolen I would probably be incredibly depressed and heartbroken for a month and then scrape together some cash to buy a new one. Overall it's a pretty solid guitar and I think it suits my taste in sound.

I'm sure this guitar can withstand a lot, considering it's a Fender. For the most part everything seems pretty solid. I just bought it though so I'm not gonna hold my breath just yet.

Mine came set up to my liking, I didn't do anything to it. But I bought it from a guitar shop, so I don't know what they did to it before I got it. Everything seems to be ok. However, I've heard the paint chips really easily. When I bought mine it already had some dings and paint chips so I got $200 off. Can't argue with that.

This is one of the new USA '62 Reissue Jazzmasters. It has two special design Jazzmaster single-coils, 21 frets, and a floating tremolo with lock. I got an Olympic white one with the brown pickguard. The guitar is actually very visually stunning in the gold interior case. It's also got 1 volume and 1 tone. It also has the rhythm circuit which bypasses the bridge pickup which apparently was designed so you could play solos and then change to the neck pickup for chording and the like without having to reset your volume and tone. Overall it's a pretty decent set up.