'62 Jazzmaster review by Fender

Fender: '62 Jazzmaster

It sounds great. With all of the upgrades I've made it sounds just like I want it to. I play rock of all kinds but I use this for more alternative stuff. I usually use this when I want either a twangy sound or when I'm trying to get real muddy. I play through a Boss TU-2, Dunlop Cry Baby, Ibanez TS-9, Boss DS-2, Boss TR-2, Boss CH-1, MXR Phase 90(script), MXR Carbon Copy, Line6 Echo Park, Boss DD-7, Morley ABY Switch, and a Boss RV-5 all to a 100W Marshall 1959 Plexi with a Marshall 1960 A cabinet and a Vox AC30. When I have the Tube Screamer and DS-2 running through the Marshall it's noisy as hell, but they're supposed to be I guess. This guitar, more so than any other that I personally own can make some pretty crazy sounds. The sounds made by playing behind the bridge are something that turned me on to this guitar. It has a large variety of tonal capabilities. It can sound loud and angry or soft and sweet.

This thing is more than I could have hoped for. Sure I've put a pretty large amount of money into it to upgrade it, but considering how much and american model is going for, this thing is still a bargain. The guitar cost $600, the pups were another $200, the Grovers were about $40-50, and the Mustang bridge and buzz-stop were probably about $50 combined. So all together I'm at about $900 for this thing. I've played many different Jazzmasters and the only one I've played that even stood up to mine was a very well maintained '64 I believe. So if you wanna drop a couple grand on a guitar just get one of those and save yourself the time of having to tweak everything. Otherwise just get yourself a CIJ and learn yourself up on how to fix anything you may want to change. I'm by no means saying that the things I've done to mine need to be done to every Jazzmaster, but there's probably a reason that so many people seem to be doing some of the same things to theirs.

This things is a rock. Literally. I've beat this thing up pretty good in the time I've had it. Played numerous shows with it (which in my experience tend to be a little rough on guitars) and it still holds up. The only thing that ever breaks down is the body itself, never the electronics. Once again I'm probably sitting on a goldmine the way relic'd guitars are gain popularity.

This guitar was (and still is) pretty beat up when I got it. The finish is scratched in some places and just gone completely in others. The set up was terrible. The guy that had it before me must have been using 3000 gauge strings or something because when I switched the strings to 9's I had about a foot between the strings and the fretboard. These are all things that the previous owner had done and shouldn't be accredited to Fender in any way. Actually this guitar could probably be sold for a lot more money now because it looks as though someone paid a lot of money to have it relic'd. I'll give it an 8 just because I have no idea what the factory set up would've been like.

I reckon mine was made in about 2003 on the island of Japan. It has 21 frets. The neck is maple with a rosewood fingerboard whilst the body is what I believe to be alder. It came with the stock Jazzmaster bridge, which I switched out with a Mustang bridge and added a buzz-stop. I've also switched out the Fender tuners for Grovers which I've done with every Fender I own(not a fan of Fender's tuners at all). I also switched out the stock pups for Lollar Jazzmaster Style Pickups.

guitarhoarder
    Right, Kurt didn't use a Jazzmaster. He used a Jaguar -- similar shape, but different pickups, sound, circuitry, scale length. Good description of alt-rock use of Jazzmaster otherwise.