'62 Telecaster review by Fender

Fender: '62 Telecaster

Purchased from: Japan

I play blues, heavy rock, rock and a bit of metal. It suits blues and the rock genres. Definitely not a heavy metal machine. It is excellent for lead guitar playing, but is lacking in rythm playing. It is very bright, expected of the texas specials. It is suprisingly, not noisy at all. Less noisy than my Jaguar. I'm using it with a Laney LC15R, and it's bridge pickup and the bright switch sounds absolutely amazing. What you'd expect with a tele. The neck pickup is also very good, but I had to tweak it for a while to find a decent rythm setting. This guitar is definitely not for rythm guitarists. It reacts with my Tubescreamer and OCD very well. The bridge pickup rivals my MIA Jaguar very well, but rhythm wise, I'd pick my Jaguar over the Tele.

This is a great guitar overall. But, it can't really do rhythm very well, but that is expected with telecasters. Maybe I'd have to adjust my amp a bit more to find it's sweet rythm setting, but I still love it. Couldn't ask for more, as I got it at a good price. No shipping! If it were stolen, I'd probrably get the same thing, or maybe the Thinline Tele, or a Mustang. I compared it with my MIA Jaguar, which cost me more than twice the amount of this tele, and I got to say, it can rival the Jaguar for lead guitar playing!

I only had it for about a week, but I'd say it is pretty reliable. I only had to tune it once, when I first recieved it. The strap buttons are solid, and nothing bad happened so far. I would definitely be able to gig with it without a backup. The finish seems to be able to withstand lots of playing, but then again, a slightly relic-ed Telecaster looks sexy.

It was set up almost perfect, suprisingly. It had been on a plane, yet was quite in tune when I first got it. The only problem is the slight buzz on the A string, but that can be easily fixed. Everything was perfect, and I absolutely love the aesthetics. 3-tone sunburst and white binding looks absolutely amazing.

A '62 Telecaster: TL62B-TX. 3-tone sunburst. Crafted in Japan, 2007 or 2008. Maple neck, 21 frets. Oval shape (feels like a C-shaped neck), 324mm scale, according to the Fender Japan website. It feels like nitrocellulose lacquer finish (very smooth, gets sticky after long periods of playing), and has a alder body. The Standard tele-style bridge, and on the control plate, a 3-way switch, volume and tone knobs. SS configuaration, the same as your average Telecaster, just with USA Texas Specials. Gotoh machine heads. Comes with a heavily-padded Fender gig bag. Couldn't ask for more. Except maybe a hardcase.

bluesman89 wrote: This guitar should NEVER be used for metal...idiot
    Julz127
    bluesman89 wrote: This guitar should NEVER be used for metal...idiot
    um... john 5, jim root? ... idiot.
    RythmicTension
    lithium26 wrote: bluesman89 wrote: This guitar should NEVER be used for metal...idiot i was merely saying what types of sounds can be produced from this fine guitar. there's no need to be such a purist. i don't even play much metal, as can be seen from the review, but is it wrong to test the limits of one's gear, by trying to get a certain sound, of a certain genre, that is not usually associated with the guitar?
    Completely agreed! Pushing the limits of one's gear not only displays an ecclectic background but also creative ability! Rock on lithium, sounds like you've got some badass guitars, good tastes, and excellent character, and I personally own and love Laney amps! (But not as much as my vt22!)
    bluesman89
    Julz127 wrote: bluesman89 wrote: This guitar should NEVER be used for metal...idiot um... john 5, jim root? ... idiot.
    Do they use a 62? Or a "labotamised" tacky black and chrome humbucker loaded run of the mill crunch axe?
    lithium26
    Update: It's been more than 3 years since the initial review, and since then, I've swapped the pickups to a Lollar Special T set (not your typical tele twang sound; slightly more midrange). Excellent sounding pickups, much better than the stock Texas Specials (got sick of them pretty fast). I've since changed my amp from the Laney LC15R to a Vox Night Train to a THD Flexi-50, and it sounds amazing. Great sounding classic rock tones with the Flexi-50 and Celestion Alnico Blue speakers.
    59bassman
    ...??? Can't do Rhythm?? Telecasters are known for that capability singularly! Select the two pup setting (middle position) - select clean amp tone, touch reverb and there is the Motown sound... Add chorus/delay and is Indie... Select front PUP and turn down treble (no reverb) and is Jazz... http://rockriffs.jimdo.com
    lithium26
    Thanks for your input. With its stock pickup configuration, it didn't really excel in the rhythm playing, at least not as much as I wanted it to. This predicament can be easily solved with a pickup swap (Jason Lollar makes killer pickups) and possibly a good amp.
    bluesman89
    lithium26 wrote: edit: it does do metal! i could get a good megadeth sound out of this tele with my laney amp. have to do quite a bit of amp tweaking and cranking though.
    This guitar should NEVER be used for metal...idiot