'72 Telecaster Custom review by Fender

Fender: '72 Telecaster Custom

Purchased from: Bonners

It doesn't really suit my style of music which is punk and metal with a bit of weezer added in. It would be a good guitar if you were in a Rolling Stones tribute band. I play it with a Boss Turbo Distortion and a Marshall Valvestate 60w amp. It's a Tele so has quite a bright and tinny sound.

This is a nice guitar but it doesn't suit my style. I've been playing for three years and I might try and sell it. If it were stolen I'd claim the insurance money and buy an SG. I hate this guitar but I cannot fault it in terms of set up etc.

This guitar is a Fender and is pretty tough and I would gig without a backup, it's pretty reliable and the strap would not fall off.

The guitar was set up fine and everything with the guitar was absolutely perfect. There were no flaws at all. It is perfect in this area.

It was made in 2003 in Mexico. It has 21 fat frets and has a maple neck and has got a laminated top. The bridge obviously is a Tele one and there is a 3-way selector Switch for the humbucker and the pickup. The pickups are standard Fender ones. The shop gave me a gig bag with the guitar. The finish does chip quite easily.

lastfree7
    Then why are you on a tele thread? You are an idiot for judging this guitar on its looks, and are you blind?
    kerno1
    KC_Volcom wrote: tele's suck my ass and my testicles, they look like a peice of crap, they are terrible Tele's look ****ing amazing mate, they're probably the best looking guitars out there, they were one of the first solid bodies to be produced under the esquire model, which was a bit different. What's a good guitar in your opinion then?
    YEA SCREW HIM TELLES ARE GOLD wy would u be on a telecaster link if u ate telecasters and i bet u play some shit box ashton
    rambo666777
    gav007
    I used to have a real one of these babies 74 sunburst awesome axe (hocked it for 500 Aus 10 years ago,what a dickhead I am)Anyway bought my MEX 72 after years of regret and was pleasanty surprised. It's now my main gig guitar(I have a US tele, a Jap tele, this Mex 72 tele and Chinese squire Tele- The yank sounds the best, the Jap plays the best and the Mex looks the best.(The squire u can work out for yourself!). Anyway one minor mod. for the 72 I would recommend is replace the bridge to a six saddle big help in setup particularly in conjunction with tilt neck. I stuffed the switch doing that Morello stuff. I play everything from metal to blues and this axe is the best, even get some LP sounds out the neck pickup. Looks good, sounds good still miss my 74 though.
    E V H 5150
    I played my neighbor's '72, but it was an original. The wood and finish were ruined, the pickguard had some breaks in it, and some of the knobs didn't turn. also, the pickups were very badly worn, and I felt like I was playing a fretless guitar. But the pickups still worked, and it still sounded pretty sweet, despite it's horrible condition, and being 30-something years old. Oh, and when you play metal, it might be best to avoid Fenders unless you plan to upgrade. As far as I know, single coils don't get the same punch as humbuckers. Tele's are one of the best out there. Look at a Les Paul, then at a Tele. Les Paul= Over-glorified Telecaster knockoff.
    Kid Fisto
    LOL y are u playing in a thunderstorm?
    rhcp-legends
    Kevin Saale
    The sound of a fender single coil in the bridge is kind of classic. Not to mention it gives more versatility since a single coil in the neck is somewhat like a humbucker, especially if you blend it with the single coil bridge
    ich-komme
    Well, with respect to the guy who bought it and hates it, at least the review isn't biased against it. He's actually aseesed the guitar on it's setup, which obviously is pretty good, and not docked points purely because it doesn't suit his style. Good man!
    betterman5
    I brought this awhile back, still love it. I've got the sunburst, whenever I pull it out people always go on about how nice it sounds, not too mention it's so nice to play.
    KC_Volcom
    goo94
    rhcp-legends wrote: would it not make more sense for the humbucker to be at the bridge and the single coil at the neck?
    i THINK its due to the original standard teles traditionally having the single at the bridge. i think its to separate it from strats, cos they put their singles at the neck; and the so its still the whole tele thing, just + a humbucker. i like to pretend to know what im talking about lol if i do get it'll be after many years of saving lol, but i want it bad lol, looks lush
    tenack
    Looks like a kurt cobain thing Lol I love it .my next guitar here we coome
    Dapack
    Got to keep this thread going,runnin since 2006 man!!yea the custom is one awesome! and timeless guitar-sound,body and just plain killer looks,I have the 3 tone sunburst,maple neck,500k pots for the hum and switched the bridge to an american tele picup,the 500k pots made a big dif in brightening up the neck pickup (it was just to muffled or muddy for me)set switch to both picups,turn all knobs full on then back off the bridge pickup volume a tad (tad? words not even in the dictionary,I think it means like, a wee bit,wee bit? Damn think I'm Irish)sweet sounds
    kerno1
    does fender america make a guitar similuar looking to this if not waht is your opinion on mexican fenders?
    WastedTele
    Kid Fisto wrote: I would bring a backup though because I would never take a chance and say if lightning hit it (I hope not) I would have no guitar. LOL y are u playing in a thunderstorm?
    dude...why not?
    arriaza196
    I've got a mexican one. I love it, but some screws are gettin rusty and I've only have it since 2009
    dooncan
    Just bought one of these recently, beautiful guitar, beautiful sounds. Just love it.
    mikerev
    rambo666777 wrote: IS THIS GUITAR GOOD FOR PUNK ROCK? IS IT GOOD FOR PLAYING MUSIC MADE BY BANDS SUCH AS PARAMORE, GREEN DAY? ETC?
    yes it is. The guitarist from paramore uses this very guitar my friend
    KC_Volcom
    The only thing no one's mentioned is the fret wear. My tele custom is perhaps 2-4 years old, and already the fretboard is showing signs of wear from the strings. I would probably also prefer a six saddled bridge, for a finer action and intonation. Otherwise, this guitar is a beast on speed, and I love the shape and look of the guitar. The contrast between the classic tinnyness (is that a word?!) of the bridge pickup and the fat sweet sound of the wide range humbucker is immense. I might do a review for this guitar. If any of you would like to hear my guitar in a recording with my band, please contact me via UG.
    Supadude
    Telecaster 72 is one the hottest models!! SG, Tele '72 is the hottest!
    The Wanton
    he's just another ignorant prick that thinks he knows what he's talking about
    Micstand
    to morellolover. tom morello uses the pickup selector as a kill switch, he turns down the volume of one pickup so that when he flicks the switch, there is no output, but when he flicks the switch back to the pickup that is turned up, there is an output. as far as i'm concerned it's possible, but then tom morello is absolutely amazing so i can't get anything like the sounds he can, but in theory it should work
    Dudage
    The unregistered retard on the top gave the guitar he hates a 10... redundant if you ask me.
    curtis loew
    Edwardthegreat5
    havocrus
    Bonners comes up as a UK music store, pricing in pounds. Bonners 60th anniversary Mex strat is 449.00 pounds= about $900.00 according to the exchange rate. The exact same guitar is at Musicians Friend for $499.00 Thank God I'm an American. So this guy paid about $2200.00 for a Mexican Tele. Poor Bloke! Sweet ax though.
    Mahogany_x
    from what i hear about it it sounds pretty cool overall, but it seems like it could improve more, but i see what your saying, it probably would sound good in a stones tribute band
    curtis loew
    curtis loew wrote: i think the rater is contradictory to himself. does anybody know whats wrong with ug? i cant go to the forums I think the message is clear if you log out and view the forums. The servers crashed or something and everything went crazy, people spammed the pit communicating by thread titles, so they closed the forums so nobody made any new threads.
    it wont let me log out
    Morellolover
    This tele has a 3 way switch which is cool, if you for instance like Tom Morello. Many of his songs with Audioslave and Rage contains effects while using the switch. For a while I have thinking about buying this guitar because of the sound and the switch. But I was wondering if any of you know if its possible to make these Morello sounds with the switch?
    chomieMan59
    the guy on top knows what hes talking about. That guitar is good, but doesnt give him the sound he needs. you guys are ****in retarded