'72 Telecaster Custom review by Fender

Fender: '72 Telecaster Custom

Price paid: € 710

Purchased from: Your Music (Rome)

I play post rock, Indie, darkwave, postcore and I find this guitar simply awesome for this kind of genres. The Humbucker gives a "round" and smooth sound, very warm and perfect for minimalistic grooves, like Mogwai Acoustic riffs. The middle position is very versatile and almost perfect for a Franz Ferdinand style of playing chords. The single coil gives a sharp, very bright sound. Of course, this guitar is not the best for playing extreme metal (you know, is a Tele) 'cause even with pedal effects designed for heavy metal the sounds remains too bright and the distortion not so brutal.

In my opinion the Fender Telecaster Custom '72 could be one of the best options for playing guitar styles based on chords progression and minimalism. It is not just a case that Scottish post rock heroes Mogwai use one of these guitars on stage. I owned a Mexico Stratocaster before this one, and I think it could not be comparable in quality with this Telecaster. I owned also an American Gibson SG and I've sold it, 'cause the sound was not so versatile for playing my music; moreover, I've recently bought a J5 Triple Deluxe Telecaster, but, although price was higher than the 72' Custom, the J5 is too heavy (in terms of sound, weight and visual impact) and uncomfortable to me, especially for the quality of the neck. The Custom 72, instead, is versatile, light, cool, comfortable and has a really amazing quality/price ratio.

Can't say very much about these topics, because my guitar is very young, but it seems to be really a solid model, made with good materials, very well finished.

I start with the assumption that is impossible to judge a guitar simply on the bases of the country of production. I think we definetely have to challenge this prejudice. In other words, it is not true that Fender guitars made in USA are in absolute terms better than Mexican guitars of the same price range. One should always try a guitar before expressing any consideration. It is true that some Mexican Telecaster could be really bad assembled, showing dramatic problems which make those guitars impossible to be played. However, other Mexican Tele could be really better than some American models. I think my guitar is one of the best Mexican models that I've ever seen: perfect assemblage, finishes, no flaws, etc... Moreover, I remained really surprised from the neck, that has a great quality and a playability, in my opinion better than some American Tele. The action is in amazing and this guitar is really "fast" and simple to play.

My '72 custom reissue is a model made in Mexico. It has 21 Vintage Style frets on a C shaped maple neck, that is in my opinion really one of the most positive elements for this guitar (see action, Fit & Finisch section, below). It has an Alder body. The hardware is entirely chromed and in particular I It has a 3 saddle strung through a Vintage-style Telecaster bridge and Fender Vintage F Style Tuning Machines. It has passive pickups: a Fender Wide Range humbucker at the neck and a Standard Telecaster single coil at the bridge, with 2 volume and tone controls and a three way pickup selector.