'72 Telecaster Deluxe review by Fender

Fender: '72 Telecaster Deluxe

Purchased from: Tom Lee Hong Kong

The 'wide range' humbuckers and alder body give the '72 Tele Deluxe a very thick and warm sound. It is good for heavy rock and punk, and maybe blues. However it doesn't have as much tonal variety as the Standard single-coil Tele's since the humbuckers can't make the sharp sounds. I use my guitars on a 15W amp, the sound is pretty good even without effects.

I play from blues to heavy rock, it is a good match for most heavy rock songs but sometimes I prefer to use my other guitars in blues or country. The only things I don't like about this guitar is the classic style neck which is thicker than most other guitars, which is sometimes uncomfortable to play especially when jamming. Also I think the Tele bodies aren't that well shaped and smooth because the body doesn't have the curve they have on Strats which let the right arm to rest IMO. It's a very nice and special guitar but if it was stolen I would get another guitar which feels more comfortable than the '72. I also wish there is a tremolo bridge fitted because it is String-thru, installing Strat bridges won't be a problem. Anyways the '72 Deluxe has a very good warm sound and is more Gibson and heavy rock style, it has a good finish, good sound and certainly a good guitar for 700$.

The guitar seems to be very durable, but I think the pickups could be improved since they don't really fit that well. The guitar is good enough to last, except for the pickguard which I scratched on mine and it's hard to find an aftermarket 72' Tele pickguard. I carry it around in the gig bag which came with it, the gig is think and cushioned so it would be ok. The guitar will withstand Live playing but I think the most important factor is how comfortable to play or if you like the feel of it or not.

The finish is very good, the pickups on mines weren't adjusted too well and there were minor problems with the pickup adjustment screws so it was hard to adjust and I scratched my pickguard several times. However the other parts of the guitar is fairly good quality and I especially like the maple neck which has a nice finish and made from good quality wood.

This reissued '72 Telecaster Deluxe is made in 2006-2007 from Mexico. It has 21 frets and a C-shaped maple neck. The '72 Telecaster Deluxe is available in alder and Ash, mines is a walnut alder. The body style is Tele but string-thru, and it has Gibson style 3-way pickups. The main difference between the '72 Tele Custom and Deluxe is that the Custom has a single coil neck pickup and the Deluxe has humbuckers for both neck and bridge. It also has seperate 2 volume and 2 tone controls for the 2 humbucker pickups. The '72 Tele Deluxe comes with a gig bag, tools for the neck adjustment and manual.

ynofaee12909121
    nido wrote: who the hell would want a guitar with 21 frets!?!?
    people who are men and use their balls to bend the strings
    cjimil419
    Weybl Himself wrote: Played my old guitar teachers one of these a couple of times, basically just a Fender tryin to be a Les Paul. Don't get me wrong, it sounds and plays great but it's not very Fender.
    It is not trying to be a les paul, fender just decided they needed to compete in the popularity growth of humbuckers back in the 70s
    rv_phoenix
    Tele is the most outrageously underrated guitar on Earth. Models like the 72 Deluxe clearly show us how versatile and how reffined can be a simple, yet fundamental design. It's amazing and it can pay lessons to many other makes who enjoy an esteem they don't deserve. Put this axe straight into a Fender Blues amplifier and you'll get the sound of Heaven, no matter if you play Blues, Rock or Jazz.
    Amuro Jay
    I'm seriously considering getting this guitar. Either this one or the 72 custom, if not just a regular Tele.
    offspring4life
    you guys dont know anything, its the guitarist not the guitar, I have a friend who can make a 200$ sound like athousand bucks. Besides, more proof that this guitars great... Ian D'sa from Billy Talent used this on their new album and it sounds great.
    jakeislegend
    Z0S07657 wrote: this guitar is crap my friend has it he hates it and i hate it too we both agreed that he would rather hav my epiphone les paul standard plain top than that
    yeah, you guys are retards.
    Robbo1422
    i'm gonna try an convince my dad to get me one of these when ive finished my GCSE's in white - it feels like the best guitar i've ever played and id rather have this than a les paul if i got the option
    Louissparks76
    This guitar is no way in hell, a Les Paul poser If you guys actually did some research, you would have found that Gibson laughed at Les Paul's ideas of a solid-body guitar until Leo Fender beat Gibson at putting them on the market. And as for the dude who said that this guitar was made for lame ass indie people, shut up This guitar is probably one of the most versitile thing Fender ever created, maybe it happens to work the best for indie and punk Who cares??? I am so getting this guitar (with a walnut finish) ASAP, I love it
    broski13
    Tele Echoes wrote: I play a standard Tele (being left hanfed, standards and 70s versions are the only teles availabe. Standard costs less...) and I've coped fine going from 22 to 21. I play a lot of Pink Floyd and Led Zep, but the only time I ever have to deal with 21 and 22 frets are during money and comfortably numb. This probably doesnt have the Tele sound (angled single coil pick up at bridge= no Telecaster.) My theory is that this guitar was made for lame ass indy guitarists who think it's cool to play Teles to butter up their sound so they don't reveal their lack of talent while still looking cool. This is a Fender, but it's not a real Telecaster.
    ur a dick
    noisewall11
    wow, cause YOU and only YOU have say in whether or not this guitar is or isn't a telecaster. god forbid anyone stop and think that the telecaster was named mainly for the shape of the guitar not what pickups/etc. are on the face of the guitar. oh and right, a guitar designed in the 70's was totally made "indy" guitarists way back in the day. F*** i have brain damage from facepalming so many times at your words.. enjoy listening to dark side of the moon the rest of your life.
    i seriously doubt anyone looking into this guitar would rather have this than a vapid, $250 les paul copy. you and your little buddy sound like two 16 year old metal heads btw. "YEAH!! LES F***** PAULS! F*** FENDERS!! METAL!!! SATAN!! F***** BR00TALLLLL!!!!!" so you hate this guitar. want a damn cookie? [/quote]
    Tedward wrote: theres some ****ing stupid people here. its a guitar that fender built so how can it not be fender? tell Aaron Turner from ISIS that hes a poser for using an HH Tele i love this guitar im probably going to buy it,
    THANK YOU.
    kool98769
    Weybl Himself wrote: Ali-b912 : someone point out that the tele body shape and style was before the strat and the les paul in the esquire (tele body with one bridge PU). not only is it "fender" but it aint trying to be a les paul at all. les pauls came after. just because the les paul is more popular doesnt mean its the defining standard. the tele shape looks cooler i reckon. u can make it look metal, hard rock, punk, surf or even vintage blues.the les paul zak wylde looks like something john lennon would have played in plastic ono(if it came in rainbow). not like a metal loving hardasses favourite guitar I am aware that the Tele chape predates the Strat and LP, but this model was built in the early 70s when the Les Paul was stomping fenders single coil models in sales. Everything about this guitar has been changed to make it more like an LP, fatter neck, twin humbuckers, 2-tone and 2-volume knobs, 3-way toggle located above the neck joint. It doesn't even sound much like a fender.
    dude, since when are guitar companies not allowed to have a single coil model and a humbucker model? You just made a really stupid comment. Traits of a guitar arent unique to any certain company, and this guitar doesnt imitate les pauls either, so unless you have personally played this guitar, please dont post acting like you know what you're talking about. Oh, and most guitars with 2 pickups have the toggle above the neck joint, again it isnt unique to 1 company. WHO CARES, ITS A NICE GUITAR.
    badguitarist13
    zekk wrote: nido wrote: who the hell would want a guitar with 21 frets!?!? People that don't need 24 frets to compensate for a small dick. The only people who actually need 24 frets are people like Joe Satriani and Steve Vai. And they could just bend to get the right pitch if they had to.
    yea i own 2 guitars. one with 21 and one with 24 and i rarely use the 22-24 frets on the second guitar. my tele with the 21 is more suited for me but it doesnt restrict my playing either.
    E V H 5150
    Because Fender was doing something different in the 70's?
    Ali-b912
    someone point out that the tele body shape and style was before the strat and the les paul in the esquire (tele body with one bridge PU). not only is it "fender" but it aint trying to be a les paul at all. les pauls came after. just because the les paul is more popular doesnt mean its the defining standard. the tele shape looks cooler i reckon. u can make it look metal, hard rock, punk, surf or even vintage blues.the les paul zak wylde looks like something john lennon would have played in plastic ono(if it came in rainbow). not like a metal loving hardasses favourite guitar.
    E V H 5150
    I've got a guitar with 24 frets. But I hardly use notes above 20 because they're hard to reach, and they are off-pitch because I never adjusted the bridge proplerly. My neighbor had one of these, and I played it. The only difference is... it was a '72 Telecaster Deluxe. Not a reissue. And I don't think it was taken care of properly, because the finish was completely screwed up. I think his may have been the walnut maple, but it was a long time ago, and the finish was cracked and such. I've never played the reissue...
    nicodimus
    i sincerly hope you dnt choose a guitar by how many frets it's got. You rarely need those extra frets if at all
    zekk
    SanTropez
    Played the mexican reissue the other day (09 limited edition with an ash body). The wide range pickups sound unusual, personally i wasn't a fan but maybe it was the amp. Great feel, build quality and action though, so kudos to fender mexico.
    speedfreak_808
    Coldmystery wrote: Actually, it is a real telecaster broski. It may not be a tele you like... or a tele you would have made but it is in fact, a telecaster. I would seriously purchase this guitar if it didn't have the strat headstock
    Why would you not buy a guitar just because of the headstock? Thats like not rooting the hottest chick in the world just because she's Canadian. It means absolutely nothing. Deffs getting one of these.
    xxkat_92
    I agree when you say it feels better than a les paul studio, the Cshaped neck has such a great feel which makes it so nice to play.
    False_God
    Bought one of these the last week and I think its brilliant. Wouldnt know its mexican at all with the way it plays, feels and sounds. As an all round player, this guitar gives you a versitile sound. Upgrade to higher pots, grovers and you'll have a great guitar for a low price.
    deryckfender
    is it good for punk? (sum 41 or greenday) and if it is which is better this ir the american stratocaster?
    dukeluke1
    deryckfender wrote: is this guitar good 4 sum 41 or blink 182 or greenday?
    its good 4 punk deryck whibley from sum 41 has a signature version of this guitar and can everyone stop going on about frets this is a REVIEW PAGE not a FORUM! thx
    jhart08
    MaggaraMarine
    nido wrote: who the hell would want a guitar with 21 frets!?!?
    21 is maybe a bit too little. 22 is the best. I can't even play 24 fret guitars. Too many frets. So 21 is OK but I prefer 22 frets.
    shoule79
    I've had one of these for four years. Couple things... Pretty decent guitar for the price, I bought mine for a backup to my Les Paul (it was Fenders answer to the Les Paul's popularity). The clean/mild overdrive tones are fantastic. This guitar does have the distinction of being the only guitar ever to make my vintage JCM 800 not sound amazing though. Match it with a more modern high gain amp and it does a pretty good metal/modern distortion tone. Best sounds I get out of it are with a nice old open back tube amp (ie Fender).
    shoule79
    The setup on mine new was bad. Very bad. I bought it for tone knowing i'd have to shim the neck (luckily it has micro-tilt) and adjust the crap out of everything else. Its still finicky and I touch the setup up a few times a year. The fret work wasn't exactly great either, rough edges and some filler in spots where they dug into the board a bit at the factory. If it was a Gibson or American Fender, it would have been a second. As I said, I bought it for sound, so I looked past that. All in all though, its a pretty versatile guitar, doesn't sound like a classic tele with single coils though.
    MHidalgo8
    Is it a pretty big guitar? Or is it around the same size as a regular telecaster?
    elliot110
    rambo666777 wrote: Is this guitar good for punk rock? is it good for playing songs from bands such as paramore, green day, etc?
    Ex guitarist Josh Farro (Paromore) used this guitar. It is seen in Misery Business and the Decode music video, so yes you could play Paramore with it. I think you would need a different telecaster for Green Day.
    ULTIMATELY_MAD
    DROUGE1 wrote: nido wrote: who the hell would want a guitar with 21 frets!?!? People that dont want an Ibanez or something
    dude, u have problem with ibanez?? ha?
    Jimmyboba
    rv_phoenix wrote: jhart08 wrote: nice, another all 10's review. Please be subjective when reviewing. And how is the tele underrated? It has a very faithful following. It never enjoyed the fame of its brother, the Strat, or its rivals Les Paul and SG. A decade ago, nobody relevant was consistently playing on Teles. Only the Indie wave has brought them to public attention, and still there are no youngsters to yearn for a Tele. Try to handle a Thinline to a 15 years old player, as a present, and watch for his reaction. That's what I've meant.
    Got me this very Tele when i was 15. would never sell it now.
    Tele Echoes
    sum41freak8733
    oh yup becuase the ones back in the 70's were COMPLETLEY DIFFERENT , Tele echoes , why would this guitar be made for lame ass indy people its a good guitar and ive played it , and im not a sloppy guitar player , or a lame ass indy person , just because its not the EXACT thing doesnt mean anything
    guynaa
    u don't always want to bend... that just a stupid sentence man.
    Weybl Himself
    1Duffy1
    I have the '72 Custom Telecaster MIM with a maple fretboard in vintage sunburst and it is very awesome. I originally got a Gibson studio HB gold top Tribute LP that had QC problems, returned it and got the '72 Custom instead. I like the tele way better than the Gibson studio, by far. It feels and sounds better. It has a very cool and unique stock sound. I have a faded brown maple cap Gibson studio that is excellent, but this '72 Custom is one of my favorite guitars with great feel and sound. I now am planning to get a sunburst '72 Deluxe and know that it will add new tones for me to draw upon that will be different from my current tones. I'm really looking forward to it.
    ripjoestrummer
    A fantastic rhythm guitar if you want a solid body. Not as heavy as les pauls either. Lead guitarists may want the 24 frets, but I almost never go up there. 18th fret max for me...
    rv_phoenix
    jhart08 wrote: i agree with what you said...tele's are a very niche oriented guitar anymore. back in the day you couldn't pay me to play a tele but now im considering getting two in the future, this one and an american standard. Ive noticed as my tone ear has grown that tele's really stand out in the mix from other guitars. very tight and snappy.
    You're absolutely right. Do that, I'm sure your sound will be great. And you'll discover yourself as a player, deeper than you thought. It's very playable and you'll just love to play on Teles.
    jhart08
    therosa69
    rv_phoenix wrote: still there are no youngsters to yearn for a Tele. Try to handle a Thinline to a 15 years old player, as a present, and watch for his reaction. That's what I've meant.
    True. When i turned 17, my little boy mentallity went away. i sold my BC Rich and bought tele