'72 Telecaster Deluxe review by Fender

Fender: '72 Telecaster Deluxe

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

This guitar is perfect for alternative, punk, and rock. I'm guessing it would be good for metal too considering it has thick humbuckers, however I do not play any metal. I am running this bad boy into my 2x12 Fender Ultimate Chorus combo amp and my Boss TU-3 and DS-1. It is not noisy at all! I used my Epiphone Les Paul Custom before I had this (and occasionally still do) and that was very noisy through the same set up. It's amazing how great this guitar is. It sounds very thick and bright. Very nice tonality!

Overall this guitar is a perfect match for mainly my alternative music I play. I have been playing for 8 1/2 years, own one other guitar (the Epiphone Les Paul Custom) and use the 2x12 combo amp for practice and gigs. I knew everything on this guitar before buying and knew it is a trustworthy guitar (tons of players use it in my genre). If it were stolen or lost, and if I can rack up the money to buy it again, I definitely would! The tele is now my main source to get my tone and I absolutely love it! It plays so great. Maybe it's the maple I love, I don't know. All in all, it is just an absolutely solid and great guitar!

Yes, I have used this at 6 gigs so far within a year since I purchased it and it is just amazing. You just gotta clean it after gigs cause for me at least it gets drenched in sweat! The strap buttons are solid, however I installed Dunlop strap locks just to make sure cause when playing live, I jump and throw it all around and it can NOT fall on me. It is very dependable and I do not use it without a backup just because you never know what will happen laying live, a string breaks, etc.. The finish so far after about 9 months seems to still be good as new and seems as if it will continue that way.

Here is where the con come in on this guitar. When I got it, the action was all messed up. Each string was a different height. Everything else seemed fine. The truss rod needed no adjustments, and the nut was good, tuners were tight etc. It is routed fine, the wood is great quality, etc. Just after adjusting the action to my likings, it was good.

Made in 2008 I believe in Mexico, Fender's Telecaster '72 deluxe gives a big, thick sound. It has 21 medium jumbo frets, a lovely (my favorite) C-shaped maple neck with a gloss urethane, and a scale length of 25.5". The guitar has an alder body and it's solid with a polyester finish. The style of the body is obviously a Telecaster shape. It has a convenient string through HardTail bridge. The pickups are both passive. On top of the body you have the choices of a volume and tone knob for the bridge pickups and a volume and tone knob for the neck pickup, which can both be adjusted from 0 to 10. The pickups are Fender Wide Range hum bucking pickups for both the bridge and neck, giving a huge versatile sound that create thick cleans and warm dirty sounds. The tuners are not locking tuners and are just the stock Fender tuners. It also comes with a Fender deluxe gig bag to top it all off for free.