'72 Telecaster Thinline Reissue review by Fender

Fender: '72 Telecaster Thinline Reissue

Price paid: € 925

Purchased from: MusicStore (Köln)

I'm all in for tone versatility, from clean to heavily distorted. I've played the Thinline through a Roland Cube 60 (SS modelling amp) for a long time, and I recently bought a Boss GT-8 (multi-effects processor) for more tone variety. However, I tested the guitar through many other amps in the store before buying it, both SS and tube amps. My first impression about the sound of this guitar, was that it's not at all like the "Standard" Tele sound. The wide-range humbuckers and semi-hollow body make the sound richer, fatter and fuller than the single coil "twang" that Teles are known for. The semi-hollow body, along with the string-through construction, also provides great tone and longer sustain. What striked me most and what made this guitar so attractive to me, though, was how the Vintage output humbuckers were capable of a very wide range of tones! I tested out quite a few guitars in the store, through quite a few amps, and in my opinion this guitar was the most versatile. On a clean channel, the neck pickup can provide smooth and warm rhythm, while the bridge pickup gives the sound that "twangy" Tele character! On a gain setting, you can get fat, crunchy rhythm tones through the neck pickup, and cutting lead tones through the bridge pickup... Unlike the "Standard" Telecasters, the Thinline is able to suit a lot of different styles, including blues, jazz, funk, pop, classic rock, and even metal (with the right amp and/or effects! ). Overall, the most outstanding quality of the sound of this guitar is it's versatility.

I have not even a second regretted buying this guitar. First of all, I am still in awe of it's beauty, with the natural finish and the F-hole in the body. Second of all, the excellent craftmanship leaves this guitar practically flawless. And thirdly and most importantly, the versatility in tone that you can get from this guitar outclasses all other Telecasters and a great deal of other guitars. This is the guitar's most attractive feature to me... Overall, I couldn't imagine a better guitar for my style (or "range" of styles! ). I have been playing for 4 years now, and had the opportunity to play a lot of different guitars in that time, but I'm still positive that the guitar I own is the most versatile guitar I've ever played. This is a great guitar combining the amazing looks of a Telecaster with the amazing sound of a Les Paul. I'm in love with mine, and I couldn't imagine replacing it, ever...

Like I said above, I haven't had any hardware problems with this guitar so far. The tuning machines look sturdy, the bridge components look solid and keep the guitar in tune at all times, and the strap buttons are very firm and solid. Apart from a very slight crackle in the volume control, which will probably be fixed when cleaned out, there are no failing electronic components either. The only thing you need to watch out for is the finish, if you go for the Natural (transparent) finish like me. So overall, all hardware and electronics have been in excellent state over the last couple of years. I haven't played Live with it, but I imagine this guitar would be able to withstand it with easy, and I wouldn't hesitate to gig with it without a backup.

When I pulled the guitar out of the bag, it was perfectly set up, and I didn't have to set it up again since (I've had it for 3 years now). The action was good, but as I prefer rather low action, I lowered it slightly using the height-adjustable saddles. I never needed to adjust action or intonation since! I never had any major hardware or electronic problems, nor were there noticeable building flaws. Some minor issues I could mention: the "Bullet" bolt for the adjustable truss rod came loose once and buzzed when I played due to string vibrations, but when I found out I just fastened it again and it hasn't come loose since. Also, the occasional rusty screw that every guitar suffers from after a while, almost isn't worth mentioning. Overall, the guitar was in perfect condition when I received it, and after a couple of years I still don't have any problems with it at all! There's a lot of craftmanship put into this guitar, especially considering it was made in Mexico...

The Telecaster Thinline '72 is a Fender Classic Series model made in Mexico, and introduced in 1999. It's a reissue of the original 1972 Thinline model, with some changes made to it. Still, most features make this guitar look and feel very Vintage... Neck:The guitar features a 1-piece maple neck with the Standard Fender scale length of 25.5", which is 0.75" longer than the Standard Gibson scale length. The C-shaped neck has a radius of 7.25", which is faithful to the original neck shape. The maple fretboard features 21 Vintage style frets. On the classic Telecaster-style headstock, you'll find Vintage Schaller "F" style tuners and an adjustable "Bullet" bolt for the truss rod. Body: The semi-hollow Ash body comes in Natural, Sunburst or Black finish (polyester). The most outstanding feature, however, is of course the "F"-hole, which gives the guitar its unique look. The neck is attached to the body using a 3-bolt neck plate with unique "MicroTilt" adjustment. Other than that, the body features a White Pearloid pickguard. Hardware and electronics: The Vintage HardTail string-through bridge uses Strat-style components (bridge, saddles) instead of the Vintage Tele-style bridge. Both the neck and bridge pickups are passive Fender "Wide Range" humbuckers, and are operated with a 3-way selector and a single master volume and tone control. Accessories: The guitar came with a Fender Deluxe Gig Bag (not a hard case, unfortunately).

You suck.
    stratdud39
    your weird and yeah these guitars are sweet!
    civildp1
    nolanator wrote: i want a thinline, but the one with the single coils, and i hate the f hole, i want a solid body that is surf green
    You just described a standard Telecaster.
    ZeGuitarist
    Good for you. Enjoy your BC Rich.
    filosprint
    Agree with Everyone, I found the sound of this guitar amazing! I really reconsidered Mexican production after having purchased and used this guitar for a while. In the early 1990's my first guitar was a Mexican Fender Stratocaster...but it was really poorly made...the neck and frets were not good, the pick ups were terrible and it was not properly electrically isolated, so it was making a continuous electric buzz... This Tele 72 thinline is perfect, the hambuckers are really good pickups and everything is made with good care and quality!
    luciat
    What a beautiful beautiful guitar and what a sound...If it were possible to make love to a musical instrument, this would be the one...
    dizze1987
    I bought this guitar in the local music store. It was 850, but boy is it worth the price!!! Awesome and beautiful guitar!
    dezperado
    I think it's a great guitar and I am looking for one for a reasonable price. I don't understand remarks that it should be poor quality as its made in Mexico.Ensenada is only 150 miles from Corona CA and in both factories work skilled Mexicans. I own abt 20 top guitars and I must say that some Japanese or Korean guitars are a lot better then some extremely expensive Gibson "USA" guitars. 85% of all My Harley parts are manufactured outside USA and my Honda is more reliable then my Jeep Wrangler. Greetings from Holland (Europe)
    Fendertele72dav
    dezperado wrote: Greetings from Holland (Europe)
    hahahahaha nice touch I've just baught a thinline 72 and i think its the greatest guitar if you are playing british rock and light American style 10/10. I also think it is the best tele modal for Jazz. But... even though im not much of a metal player from what ive tried out it dosent really fit the genre both in tone and in looks. but i guess its just personal preference. Greetings from Australia (umm..Australia)
    bobogeneration
    was in the studio yesterday and ended up using one of these on nearly all my tracks instead of a les paul custom , an es-345 and 2 american strats.. theres some great crunch tones that cut through the mix brilliantly here.. getting one as soon as i have the money to spare now
    Um... This is awkward.
    Avettlover1
    This guitar rocks so hard! I have a freind who was kind enough to let me play it, and let me tell you what, that guiter was roaring with sound! Absolutly amazing.
    Multiplayerjon
    Crioo, Yes you do suck... you're some type of racist aren't you annywaysss Looks like a snazzy guitar... i've always been interested in the telecasters, never played one I love the Natural finish
    lockwolf
    Sabscope
    Tobiasvisual
    I bought one in New York thinking it was a real Fender ( I know I'm a tool), but I played it for a long time and I have played for over 10 years and it felt great to me, and it does still sound and look fantastic. My major gripe after time and testing is the fret board. It is poorly made although it is within Fender specs, I' pretty sure they use a cheaper metal, as mine our rusting! I plan to have the fret machined and or replaced, which I'm sure will cost me more than I care to mention, but, will also leave me with a near perfect guitar for what I need. I wich I'd just got a real one just now I am stuck with what I have, I must say I do enjoy playing it and am not dissatified considering what I payed for it.
    nolanator
    Ken Yo
    Had this guitar for a couple of years now, and it's amazing - saw the guys in the shop playing it everytime I was there, and was sure they didnt want to see it sold
    fathooker
    ive always been skeptical of fenders... but this one made me drool. its beautiful and perfect for the blues and jazz guitarist. what stood out the most, was the laminated fretboard. absolutely beautiful. ive been curious as to weather or not i can apply the same laminate to my rosewood fretboards
    hardrox
    ZeGuitarist wrote: lockwolf wrote: I thought this guitar was total shit, I couldn't get a good tone out of it unless I played with gear way out of my price range. Even then, it sounded decent. Good for you. Enjoy your BC Rich.
    AMEN BRO!!!
    GS LEAD 5
    ZeGuitarist wrote: Crioo wrote: I Hate Mexico Fender They Suck! but i like Fender Telecastar in other models. You suck.
    Nice comeback..... I don't like tho looks much, but it sounds really nice.
    marktuazon
    i personally dislike MIM fenders. but i love MIJ fender. just better quality. WAY better than some MIMs i've seen and heard.
    AndyfrmUpstairs
    I got one of these at the beginning of the year. It went all sitar on me (warping neck) twice in the first month. Easily fixed, but still. A couple months later the jack broke. No problems since then. I'd give it a 5 for quality and an 8 or 9 for everything else. I started saving for an American Deluxe Strat HSS.
    9badarv
    if i have a les paul, would it be wise to get a Tele with humbuckers in it?? i wouldn't mind a normal Telecaster
    Gibson.72
    I have this exact guitar and I also have a fender tube amp . Together they sound incredible. The natural distortion I can get out of my amp on the clean channel is awesome. I've never played a telecaster before this one but I really love this guitar.
    ZeGuitarist
    Sabscope wrote: I find Teles incredibly ugly, and the thin tone grating. I don't understand the appeal.
    Have you noticed the humbuckers on this particular one?
    delizio37
    [quote]ZeGuitarist wrote: Crioo wrote: I Hate Mexico Fender They Suck! but i like Fender Telecastar in other models. There like lemons...you either have a great one or a bad one...ive played both... im fortunate to have picked out a winner and got a really good one... I put the jeck beck hot noiseless pickups and got a different input jack place in because mine shit the bed after a while. its setup up with 11's and that baby growls. if you want a really good fender guitar...look up G&L guitars there cheap and sound aboslulty terrific...i bought the ASAT Special F-hole Tribute series which is just like this one except with a P90/ single coil pickups in them. sounds awesome!!!
    Crioo
    I Hate Mexico Fender They Suck! but i like Fender Telecastar in other models.