'72 Telecaster Thinline Reissue review by Fender

Fender: '72 Telecaster Thinline Reissue

I have a Schecter Damien FR, upgraded with active EMG pickups for metal, and I play a very wide variety of music and the emg's are pretty much only metal, so I was looking for something to cover the other half of the tonal spectrum. I looked into all fenders, and who uses them. Artists that use the 72 Tele, were Say Anything, Paramore, Coldplay, The Fray, and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head. I know people might say the expression "understatement of the century" alot, but me saying this thing is has widespread tone, and is very versatile, would be the understatement of mankind. This guitars tone is the SHARPEST tone I've ever played on, CLEARER THAN EMG's, I never thought I'd catch myself saying that, but yes, more clarity than EMG's. The sound is thin, but with a little tweaking, (adding mid/bass/ reverb), it sounds great. The odd thing is, that it has a really fat neck, but I can play faster leads than on my Schecter, or my old Jackson. The tones it can reach; I had to catch my breath(this thing still takes my breath away), I have a Line 6 Spider III amp with all those artist presets, and it can get Cliffs Of Dover by Eric Johnson VERY CLOSE, Sweet Child of Mine(if you don't know who wrote that, you pretty much should reevaluate your music hitory knowledge), and With the '65 twin reverb ripoff on the Line6, you can get ColdPlay, Say Anything, Muse, Almost anyone who uses a tele, you can easily match their tone on that channel. I could honestly go on forever about this guitar's tone, and I'd give it a 12/10 if I could, however, I'll keep it short and give it a skimpy ten. Even tapping and arpeggio's on this thing shine. Sustain isn't that great though, but that's not what I bought the semihollow version for.

This is probably one of the best under $1000 guitars I've played, that includes many of the(not all of the) the Schecter's and ESP/LTD's under 1G with EMG's/SD's Floyd Rose's, Grover Tuners, none of that can match this for what I wanted. This guitar just sounds great, is beautiful, and plays better than my schecter. If it were lost or broken, whoever broke it would get broken legs from yours truly, and if it were lost, i'd get another one. Or Two ;). I compared this to some ibanez's and epiphones, and this just took the gold for me. And I know it sounds like I'm trashing those companies, but this guitar really outshines those guitars in the $600 range.

With new tuners and straplocks, I'd do a dozen live shows with this in a row. Everything is solid, I've had it for five months now. The finish has a weird felling to it, that makes it seem like it'll last a long, long time. The strap buttons are getting replaced soon. And I would, and plan on gigging this thing until I have to put it out of its own misery.

The action is pretty much not adjustable, there's a normal nut, and the only adjustment you can do on the bridge is intonate it. When I got it from guitar center, who got it straight out of the box from the factory, the pickups were VERY high, so I had to lower them, but that's a thirty second fix. All the electronics were perfect, absolutely no flaws cosmetically. The only thing I would change is straplocks, and new tuners. The tuners are absolutely HORRRRRRRIBLE! Replace them if you get it.

I bought this brand new 2009 '72 Tele Thinline Semihollow on black friday, for %25 off. It has 21 frets, a 25.5" scale, Maple Neck, Ash body, with a natural laminated finish. It has a Standard tele bridge, string through. The electronics are passive, naturally, with a three way switch, a volume, and a tone knob. It said the gigbag came free, but I checked the receipt, and it was another like $40, so, I took it back.