Aerodyne Telecaster review by Fender

Fender: Aerodyne Telecaster

Purchased from: eBay

THIS. SOUNDS. AMAZING. After being set-up to my tastes (just a Standard set-up) this guitar sounds and feel's amazing for the style's I play (classic rock/alt rock) Unplugged; this guitar is very bright and resonant. Very Acoustic and also quite loud with open chords. Plugged in - Amp: Marshall JCM 800; When classic rock'd up this baby sings. The bridge pickup has that definative tele-twang but with a lot of clarity. Rhythm and leads are very cutting and biting, almost a bit too trebly but maybe too much presence was present! As Standard pickups go, they are brilliant. I'd consider replacing the bridge pickup for a Bareknuckle for a bit of a smoother sound but maybe it's just a case of experiment with tone controls! The P90 makes this guitar what it is! It's fat, clear and full, exactly what the doctor ordered! The basswood body is very neutral and heightens the quality and sounds of the electronics and pickups used, and due to this the P90 gets it's character. Lead sounds sustain for days but with a very nice bluesy crunch with the guitar volume backed off a little. THE best sounding guitar I've ever played.

With this guitar I primarily had it in mind for alt rock (Billy Talent, Muse etc) but after getting to grips it's a superbly versitile guitar. Blues, pop, indie, rock and even metal and country can be played. I've been playing properly for 3 years, and in this time I have an Epi Les Paul Standard, this and a Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster. All three are very different guitars, they sound, play, and feel different but I love them each for there own. The Tele is the best Tele I've ever played, the fat neck fits into the palm nicely and the matte finish glides gracefully. If it were stolen, I'd actually have a nervous breakdown. I waited 2 weeks for this amazing guitar to be shipped from America to the UK! I'd certainly track down another straightaway, if it weren't for the rarity of these axes then I'd have one the following day! I love this guitar, it's my "go to" guitar. The main one, the versitile one. Anything I want to play this guitar can pull it off, and pull it off with style!

It will definately be able to withstand the natural life of a workhorse guitar - the typical Tele. Hardware feels like it would last a lifetime, strap buttons are solid and certainly dependable in live playing. The downsides to this guitar durability-wise would be the finish. Although the polyurethene isn't thin, the gloss black would scratch very easily, and of course ruin the aesthetics of the guitar. A minor point, but on something that's minimalist it's a big flaw in my opinion.

I bought this in mint condition second hand from eBay, the two week shipping time combined with a VERY heavy string gauge made first impressions quite interesting to say the least but as always, a good set up works wonders. Construction wise it's solidly built, the bolt of neck is sturdy but accessible compared to 'Pauls. No finishing flaws or poor quality hardware at all, a testament to the quality of the Japanese Fender guitars, they are simply sublime for the price.

This guitar is a Japanese (Fugi-Gen) made limited edition 2007 Telecaster. A 22 fret maple neck with a gorgeous rosewood fingerboard, 25.5" scale length, 7.25" radius. A solid carved basswood body with a lovely deep gloss black polyurethene finish. Tele-style 6 saddle bridge, Vintage style bridge single coil and a Vintage style P90 in the neck. Standard tele volume and tone knobs, but a "Les Paul" like three way selector on the upper cutaway. Fender/Ping Vintage style tuners and chrome hardware throughout. Everything feels perfect for this particular guitar, although the only criticism I feel for this guitar is having a Vintage neck radius for such a "modern" styled and performing guitar. Although this is pure personal preference!

evan-simpson22
    P90 looks a little wierd on a tele, but it also at the same time is pretty cool and im not sure why...
    barden1069
    Meh I like the traditional knob/switch setup more than this, but i still like teles and wanna try one with a P90
    nodurquack
    I have this guitar I have to say that the p90 is possibly the best thing about it, especially for clean strumming. As far as being able to play every style including metal... I disagree. I installed a SD hot rails pickup in the bridge and even with that it won't handle heavier stuff all that well. Over all though it is a fantastic guitar.
    Chrisiphone
    Hey there nodurquack! I was a little vague when talking about metal, I agree it can't do the extreme chuggathon of modern metal, but Metallica types of thrash this guitar can, in my opinion,do.
    wrmcnich
    I too own both an Aerodyne Strat & Tele. I think they are just wonderful. Do you have any information on specifications, as I bought both of them used? Thank you - bill