American Deluxe Stratocaster FMT HSS review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Fender: American Deluxe Stratocaster FMT HSS

The sound of this guitar is not up to usually Fender standards. The bridge pickup is too quiet and does not work well with my Boss DS-1 pedal. The bridge humbucker takes away the gain on the pedal. My other guitars which I have do not do this. At gigs, I use a Marshall JCM half stack and compared to the other guitarist, I am getting a poor sound. The only difference in our set up is our guitars. The clean sound on the guitar is terrible. It is far to "bassy" for what I would like. It is has a very dull sound to it due to the amount of bass. I have tried getting rid of the bass using effects but I am unable to. So a poor sounding guitar compared to others made by Fender!

The only reason why I choose this guitar was that Fender are usually reliable and they have a good reputation. I have had Fenders in the past but non have been as poor as this one. As a guitarist who has been playing most of his life, I am amazed at the price I paid and the quality I got. I just goes to show that you don't get what you pay for.

As I said before, the connections keep coming loose so te reliability is poor. The hardware seems like it will last but because there have been so many flaws already, I would not put my life on it. I would definately take a backup to a gig as I am not confident and do not trust the guitar enough. The finish is good but scratches and dents show up well which is obviously not a good thing.

The guitar is a nightmare to play with. The action is too slow to play any decent lead breaks. So the lead which I play in my band is not as effective as it should be. The pickups were to high so I was getting a restricted sound, especially on the humbucker. The fret alignment was poor. I had to send the guitar away to get the frets re-aligned professionally. The neck is constantly warping and I have problems with the electronics becoming loose and eventually disconnecting. I am unable to change pickups in the middle of a song because the when I move the selector Switch, I get a cracking noise.

- Body: select alder with flame maple top - Neck: maple, modern "C" shape (satin polyurethane finish) - Machine heads: Fender/Schaller Deluxe Staggered cast/sealed locking tuning machines - Fingerboard: ebony, 9.5" radius (241 mm) - Frets: 22 medium jumbo - Pickups: 1 Fender DH-1 humbucker (bridge), 2 Hot Samarium Cobalt Noiseless Strat pickups (middle/neck) - Controls: master volume (with S-1 Switch), master no-load tone control - Bridge: Fender Deluxe 2-point synchronized tremolo with pop in arm - Pickup switching: 5-position blade and 2-position push/push S-1: S-1 Switch up: Position 1. Full Bridge Humbucking Pickup with Coils in Series (Lead Tone Control); Position 2. Middle Pickup and Inside Coil of Bridge Humbucking Pickup in Parallel (Lead Tone Control); Position 3. Middle Pickup (Lead Tone Control); Position 4. Neck and Middle Pickup in Parallel (Lead and Rhythm Tone Controls); Position 5. Neck Pickup (Rhythm Tone Control S-1 Switch Down: Position 1. Full Bridge Humbucking Pickup with Coils in Series (Lead Tone Control); Position 2. Full Bridge Humbucking Pickup with Coils in Series, in Parallel with Neck Pickup (Lead and Rhythm Tone Controls); Position 3. Full Bridge Humbucking Pickup with Coils in Series, in Parallel with Neck and Middle Pickups that are Paired in Series (Lead and Rhythm Tone Controls); Position 4. Inside Coil of Bridge Pickup Paired in Series with Neck Pickup, in Parallel with Middle Pickup (Lead and Rhythm Tone Controls); Position 5. Middle Pickup in Series with Neck Pickup (Rhythm Tone Control) - Hardware: chrome - Strings: Fender Super Bullet 3250L, Nickel Plated Steel, (.009 to .042), p/n 073-3250-003 - Case: Deluxe Brown Hardshell case - Pickguard: none - Scale length: 25.5" (648 mm) - Unique features: S-1 switching, ebony fingerboard, LSR roller nut, abalone dot position inlays, highly detailed fret work, black anodized mini-barrel knobs, black plastic parts - Width at nut: 1.6875" (43 mm) - Accessories: hard case.