American Special Telecaster review by Fender

Fender: American Special Telecaster

Price paid: C$ 862.4

Purchased from: Axe Music

My Influences range from Jimmy Page and Keith Richards to Josh Homme and Adam Jones and this guitar carries the load wonderfully. I play it through a Seymour Duncan Lava Box and Morley Bad Horsie II wah pedal to a Orange Crush 30( the older one without the built in effects). My sound is a bit muddeled somtimes but I fully blame that on the amps weak distortion and the qaulity of the Lava Box which has distortion and overdrive but doesn't do either very well. Playing clean this guitar makes peoples knees bend when they hear it, the sound is very bright and twangy and is perfect for bluesy and country sounds( I have yet to recreate a good keith richards tone which I blame on the amp and my terrible EQ skills). The pickups on this guitar are really the only thing holding it back from being a great metal guitar but I suppose you could always take a page from Jim Root and cut it up to fit humbuckers though you'd loss your twang( and I love my twang).

I try not to piggenhole myself to a style but in a board sense I suppose it would be Hard rock/Alternative and this guitar is a great match for them. I have been playing for awhile now and own 2 other guitars, a Dean VX and a rip off strat. The Tele kicks the strats ass from here to the moon and back again but it is hard to compare it with the Dean as they are both very different guitars which is another reason I bought the Tele. If it were lost or stolen I would probably go back to Telecasters but I hope to have more income the future(as I am sure everyone else is) so I might go from a higher vaule one or maybe even a custom shop one. I love the sound of this guitar but wish that the neck was a little thinner to make lead work a little easier and I would have rather had Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups in it but I suppose I could always instal those myself later on down the road.

Playing the kind of money you have to for an American Fender you would damn well expect it to withstand living playing though I do not gig currently so I can't comment of how this guitar would hold up on stage but I am confident it would get the show done. The hardware is great on the guitar but the strap buttons aren't very good, I have had to make a few saving catchs from the guitars strap slipping off the buttons, I would recommend throwing strap locks on ASAP as you might not alawys be able to make the saving grab. I would not use this guitar without a back up gigging not because its not a beast of a guitar but because from what I understand gigging without a back up guitar is just looking for trouble and a bad show. The finish should be on this guitar for many many years and if its not even better I loved an aged guitars looks but if you are someone who wants to see his reflection in this guitar in 30 years I would count on it.

When I first got this guitar I couldn't have it set up professionally for a couple of weeks and coming from the Fender factory the action was unbearably high but once I had it set up the guitar just further impressed me. Everything else about the build of the guitar was quality( whcih you expect coming out of the USA), the pick ups adjusting was good and everything was properly routed. The finshed was done very well and I am trying very hard not to nick or chip a piece of this guitar as to preserve the amazing job they did. When buying this guitar I played it against an American Standard and felt this guitar to be the more soildly built guitar as the Standard just felt bulky to me.

Brand new model so it would have to have been made late 2009/early 2010, 22 jumbo frets and the Standard Fender scale of 25.5. The body is alder with a gloss urethane finish and the neck is maple in a modern C shape. Classic tele body with a 70's over sized style headstock which I think looks just perfect on this guitar. Classic tele style bridge which has yet to give me any problems. The electronics are passive with the Standard tele controls, one volume, one tone and a blade Switch selector. The pick ups are the Texas special tele set which sound amazing and really bring out that classic tele twang. Fender Standard tuners which are alright but I hope to Switch them out at some point soon. This guitar also come with a Fender deluxe gig bag which is alright but the back straps on it always leave a huge space between you and the guitar that somtimes you might smack the top against somthing if you are on a bus or other small areas( I have tried adjusting them everywhich way and always have that problem).