American Special Telecaster review by Fender

Fender: American Special Telecaster

Purchased from: local music store

I love this guitar, I play mostly blues and 60's rock and this guitar is great. I run it through a couple effects into a Marshal JVM210 half stack. It sounds great and has that classic Tele twang that the Standard mexican teles I've played lack. It has a beautiful clean sound, especially when both pickups are on, and has a great overdrive sound as well. I've cranked up the gain and it sounds heavy enough for a lot of metal (but that is through a Marshall half-stack.)

This is a great tele. The only thing I would change about it is that I would like to have a bigsby, but I can certainly live without one. If it was stolen, I'd get another one for sure. I've played for close to 4 years now and my other guitar is a Highway 1 Strat. This blows it out of the water.

I play live some, and this guitar works fine for that. The hardware is great: the tuners are superb. The strap buttons seem very solid, they haven't been loose at all, and the strap I use has really tough leather on the ends: its definitely not coming off.

The tele was actually set up quite nicely. I've seen five or six other American special teles and mine has a very pretty flamed maple neck that's not on the others, so I guess I got lucky with that. It came set up with 9's and I've since put 11's on it and it's great. I've had it for several months and had no flaws.

Made in USA 2009 or 2010 22 jumbo frets alder body with flamed maple neck poly finish traditional brass-bar 3-saddle string thru bridge 3-way selector with greasebucket tone circuit texas special pickups It came with a Fender gig bag but I already had a case that fits Tele's so I was covered there.