American Telecaster review by Fender

Fender: American Telecaster

Purchased from: USA

I mostly play Classic Rock, Hard Rock (eg Wolfmother, Datsuns) and sometimes metal and funk. This guitar is superb to play and can be made to suit most styles (excluding metal) if used with the correct amp settings. I use a 15 watt Epiphone amp which came free with my first argos-brought guitar in my bedroom which means the sound is not great but I have before used it through a Marshall AVT100DFX amp which makes it sound fantastic. I very rarely move away from the bridge pickup as I feel it sounds best for the music I play, it gives a more bright trebly sound than the neck pickup. This guitar as I said can play most styles but I have often felt that the sound is not heavy enough and am currently looking at Jacksons and Gibsons in order to achieve this deeper, fuller tone. With a high gain setting this guitar sounds great playing Chilli peppers and Zeppelin songs but not so great playing Wolfmother and Black Sabbath style songs and that just about sums it up.

As I said I play mostly classic rock and this guitar has evolved for the 50's so it obviousley suits that well. I would consider this for lots funk songs aswell as the pickups have a bright tone, it sounds v.good when I use it for playing along to RHCP and RATM. If you're a metal head I would strongly advise you to look else where for a humbucker equipped guitar as I am currently looking at a second guitar with a humbucker so I can sound better when playing metal and heavier songs.

The hardware seems like it wll last butone of the strap buttons and the volume control do come loose often but once tightened will last a few weeks. I have gigged with this guitar 3 times and it has done extremely well in each of them, I hvae not needed a backup at all. The strings have kept very well especially considering I have only changed them three times in three years. The g string has broken once but other than that they have stayed intact. The finish has stayed nice and shiney due t a polish with Gibson pump polish once a week. It has once scratch and a small chip in the finish and that is due to my enclosed bedroom and insane jumping around when playing.

Around a year after buying this guitar I had the strings changed and had it set up. It sounded much better. When brought the guitar had Standard piece-of-crap strings but I now use Gibson bright wires with gauge 10 strings on the EAD and gauge 9 on the GBE. This allows for heavier, fuller power chords and riffs on the bottom strings and easy bending and sloing on the top strings. I would strongly suggest having the guitar set up if buying it. When on high gain (metal) settings this guitar can buzz loudly especially when the hardware is touched but it is not heard when playing along.

This guitar is a Standard USA Telecaster and it includes a maple neck, rosewood fretboard and 22 jumbo frets (marked with dots). The body is alder. The bridge is a Standard american 6 saddle tele bridge. It has 2 american single coil pickups (neck and bridge) with a 3 way selector and 1 volume and 1 tone control. The tuners are non-locking and all of the hardware is stainless steel. It came with a Fender hard case, strap and cleaning cloth.