American Telecaster review by Fender

Fender: American Telecaster

I play mostly blues, jazz, psychedelic stuff from late 60's and alt rock. For me it fitted me as an old leather glove, perfectly. The rig I use with her is a Vox AC 30 (the handmade one), a Fuzz Face, a Karaoke Party distortion, a Flashback delay pedal and a Vox Wah (v-something, the one chromed under the rubber), so consider my review considering my gear and style! The Bridge pickup ain't as Savage as some purists might want, most likely because of my choice of alder body and rosewood slab fretboard, but it is still Savage and a treble beast. The neck pickup sound beautiful, quite awesome for Jazzy and Funky stuff, has a sort of woody vintagey tone. Both respond extremely, godlikely well to fuzz, but they lose a bit of their Shine through a distortion. The tone control has a thing that completely bypasses the pot, but it is barely noticeable dus to the high quality of the electronics that don't blur the sound, but when bypassing the signal is a bit more Savage with a slight "muffled 50's radio" touch to it, simply amazing. Basically the Tele everybody loves, but more dynamic in the neck pickup and a tad less Savage in the Bridge pickup. I'd give it a 9, but since it is not very Vintage lover friendly, I'll give it a 8, so purists won't feel fooled by me.

Matched my style perfectly. From Bluegrass and oldies Blues to psychedelic 'Barrettish' experimental stuff. Been playing for 9 years now, I have a Fender American Vintage '54 Strat which I use tuned half-step down (Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb), a Gibson CS Les Paul Junior with double cut and 2 p-90s tuned in open Dsus4 (D-A-D-G-A-D), a Gibson CS ES-335 (standard tuning) and now the American Standard Tele also tuned in the guitar Standard tuning (EBGDAE). Love it's vibe, it's sound it's finish and the fact it is a Tele with rosewood fretboards (can't stand the feel of glossy wood under my fingers like the maple fretboards). If it were stolen, I woundn't buy another, I'd go through Hell and Mordor after the bastard that stole it, torture and shoot him down, and reclaim it. I simply love it. But yeah, in case I never find her again, yes I'd buy another. Just with it supported those old 3 saddles bridges so I could put the ashtray cover in it to make it look sexier.

It is a American made Fender Telecaster. What more can I say? This is sturdier than a tank, even Pete Townshend would need some tools to break it. Feels rock-solid, the finish I think will last some good 30 years before it starts showing wood where my hand touches it most. Holds tuning extremely well, rock-solid strap buttons, extremely reliable electronics and diamond-solid body and neck, you can certainly go on a gig with only a Tele. Heck you can even go touring using only her if you don't need any ready-on-stage alternate tuning guitars.

I don't know how it was setup from factory as the Luthier from Guitar Center (a friend of mine) did a free setup when I bought it so it attends to my "exquisite" taste (very high action, with an unusual pickup height). The 3-pieces of wood were bookmatched enough, but they do reflect light in different directions, so under some light, in some angles, it is quite noticeable, I don't give a monkey crap about it, in fact I think it looks cool, but that might be a turn away for some. Well it came perfect. Absolutely perfect, 0 flaws.

Mine is a American Standard Tele, made in 2011 in the USA (quite obviously) in 3-tone sunburst and slab rosewood fretboard. It must be said it is a incredibly well-built alder bodied and maple and rosewood "necked" guitar. Flawless painting (and the burst in wonderful!) without exaggerated gloss, which is brilliant as it doesn't make the guitar look like plastic-made. One thing that might turn purists away from this model is the Bridge without the "walls" around it and having six-saddles. Besides, the materials it is made ins "inverted" from the usual as it uses chrome in the bridgeplate and brass in the saddles. Another thing non purist in this Tele are the tuners that are the modern ones. The neck is quite good, the rosewood slab has nice grains and hasn't got much pores like the rw slab in my Strat. Fretwork is flawless needless to say and the headstock is covered with beautiful gloss in the front. Comes with a sturdy molded SKB case, a silly Fender strap that is absolute crap (but since I have basically a collection of straps this is no drawback as I never planned in using it), a whole bunch of Allens (thanks God!), an okay cable and a piece of soft cloth.