American Telecaster Plus review by Fender

Fender: American Telecaster Plus

Purchased from: eBay

I play funk rock to metal. This guitar is amazing! The Lace sensor in the neck has a amazing bell like quality, Fender has since replaced Lace with noiseless pickups which I think is a mistake. The brige doesnt't sound nice clean unless it's out of phase. Very deep sounding, at a flick of a Switch you can go from deep lows to cuttin highs for solo'in which I love! I'm running through 6 Boss, DigiTech stomps into a Laney AOR50 tuber > Avt Stack. The tone is pretty sweet! Radiohead's guitarist plays them. It can range to classic twang, both neck and bridge. To heavy hummeresk (almost SG) and when it's out of phase it sounds a bit like a Strat! 7 possible sounds to select from.

For my style it's perfect, I'm heavy on the effects and distortion and this guitar handles it all well. Tele purists wont take to it much as the bridge doesnt't sound perfect. My second guitar is a heavily modified Mex Tele. Hotrail, Lace, boost, coil tap, killswitch. They compliment each other nicely. I run through a Vintage Laney head into a Avt stack. Effects are all singles. If it were stolen I'd probably have a breakdown. I love it's strange finish, people come up and ask about it after shows. It's a rare-ish and unusal guitar.

This guitar is now my main axe, it's solid as a rock and I'd happily play without a backup. 17 years and it's still going, Fender for ya. Strap buttons are solid, I was going to fit lockers but for fear of damaging the threads I left them be. Finish looks amazing, even after all these years!

Well for 17 years old it's fantastic. It came with a horrible hotrail in the neck which I removed and replaced with a original as possible Lace sensor. It's got dings, scratches, belt rash but it's solid as a rock and has many years left to go. Frets are all fine, only problem I have just now is the volume pot spins like a freewheel. No resistance, easy to fix though!

Made in 1990, USA, 22 Med/Jumbo frets. Red burst with glitter in the outer burst, complimented nicely by the grain underneeth. Pickup arrangement is a single Lace in the neck and two single laces together like a hummer in the bridge. there's a Switch that sits between the tone and volume that lets you select phase/hummer/single configs. it's a normal tele bar the bridge setup. 3 way, tone has a strange catch at halfway. Everything else is how a USA tele would be. These guitars are no longer made.

latinosuperstud
    the catch you mention is meant to be a kill switch fyi, but it is a nice guitar... only played it once (only saw it once really) and it was pretty sweet
    -fez-
    always wanted a tele and that one looks as perfect as one could be for me! beautiful
    Caustic
    Eh. Why buy a Tele, a guitar that relies largely on the unique bridge and bridge pickup for it's great tone... and then remove both and replace it with a humbucker, albeit a good one, and a bog standard fixed bridge?
    DMCrimson
    Preid
    [quote=latinosuperstud]the catch you mention is meant to be a kill switch fyi, but it is a nice guitar...[/quote] Source?! Why the **** would there be a killswitch halfway in the tone pot? [quote=Caustic]Why buy a Tele, a guitar that relies largely on the unique bridge and bridge pickup for it's great tone... and then remove both and replace it with a humbucker, albeit a good one, and a bog standard fixed bridge?[/quote] I does loose alot of twang, i wouldnt recommend it for people looking for true tele tone. Its very strat like in certain pup configs. [quote=DMCrimson]Tele with Lace Sensors? Sounds like Johnny Greenwood of Radiohead got a signature guitar without the signiture...[/quote] Yep he uses em, Fender used lace before they decided on noiseless. Hes not the only guitarist to use the tele+ heavily. Its a good sounding guitar even under heavy effects.